Balancing the books

hope60

Have DCFC really made any profit from these three transfers or are they just balancing the books.

Transfer fees are rarely paid up front, usually they are paid over the length of the contract given to the player signed.

Let's assume we still owed Watford 5m for Vydra and Anya, selling Will Hughes to them for 5m up front merely wipes out that debt.

Maybe they still owed Huddersfield money for Butters, so selling Ince to them would make sense and clear that debt.

Nugent came from Boro for 2m I think, was that being paid in instalments as well? if so the sale of Christie to them also wipes out a debt.

I guess Ince's move is the only transfer to put money into DCFC coffers.

Let's not kid ourselves that DCFC are making millions on selling players, and the money is available for GR to spend

The reality is IMHO DCFC are just balancing the books for financial fair play.

Please don't shoot the messenger.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, hope60 said:

I guess Ince's move is the only transfer to put money into DCFC coffers.

Let's not kid ourselves that DCFC are making millions on selling players, and the money is available for GR to spend

The reality is IMHO DCFC are just balancing the books for financial fair play.

But we'd have had a transfer kitty as well, so even if what you say is true, then it's extra.

Who knows apart from the fact that we have made money on the sales this summer and probably lost money on a lot of our purchases over the last two years, maybe it is incidental that clubs we owe money to have come in for our players, or maybe we do some accounting with a pencil and an eraser ✏️ ?? 

You are mixing up profit and cash flow.

We have made big profit on the last 4 sales, this is the important thing for FFP.

Are we selling these players so MM does not have to put more money in to pay the outstanding instalments? Possibly, and if so, I for one am pleased that he has decided to go down this route.

It doesn't make you a messenger if you are just stating your opinion without figures to back it. None of us know the payment terms agreed in the sales. So therefore, nobody outside the club can possibly comment on it with full knowledge. As you said, it is just opinion. 

I should imagine even if the outgoing did cover previous spending then Rowett would still have money to spend.

The club explained at the end of the season that the squad was too big. They identified how many players they want over three levels - key players, squad players, youth players (terms may have differed).

We had too many 'key players' so that's being addressed.

I still think we'll see more 'squad' and 'key' players go as they are being paid too much for the impact they have.

The club also want to see a clear path for player development from the youth squad to the main squad. It's the only way we'll see another Hughes or Hendrick!

12 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

You are mixing up profit and cash flow.

We have made big profit on the last 4 sales, this is the important thing for FFP.

Are we selling these players so MM does not have to put more money in to pay the outstanding instalments? Possibly, and if so, I for one am pleased that he has decided to go down this route.

This is spot on.

You cannot deny the facts that we bought Ince for 5m and sold him for 9/11m whatever it was. Same goes for Hughes and Christie, they cost us nothing/less than we sold them for and that is profit.

How we actually paid for them doesn't really matter for FFP as long as our overall loss isn't above the £39m over 3 seasons.

Even if we sold them to another team, they would pay us and we would pay our instalments to Watford etc. Exactly the same as Watford paying us for Hughes and us paying them for Vydra/Anya.

The original post makes no sense. 

The sales of Hendrick, Ince and Hughes surely puts us on the right path for FFP.

There's 20 plus million there alone in sales.

We should pass FFP and have a decent amount in the piggy pot for Rowett, id be amazed if we don't.

2 hours ago, Andicis said:

It doesn't make you a messenger if you are just stating your opinion without figures to back it. None of us know the payment terms agreed in the sales. So therefore, nobody outside the club can possibly comment on it with full knowledge. As you said, it is just opinion. 

DCFC have stated that all of our purchases are paid in instalments over 3 years.

Archived