worst car you've had

dog

Sith Happens
1 minute ago, Lambchop said:

Did you?

Avenge her...?

Now where is that 'groan' reaction when you need it.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Grimbeard said:

The car I least enjoyed owning was a Renault Laguna. Nowt wrong wi' it, but by fk it were dull. It even made the beige Austin Ambassador I once had seem exciting and cool.

Y reg?

First car was a Vauxhall Astra Elite 1.7cdi diesel, bit boring on the outside but made up for with a nice leather. Interior. OK to drive (not like I had anything to compare it to) and was going well for 5 years until the turbo went, limp mode activated, £900 to replace but it has caused other issues - would get up to 75ish and then refuse to go any higher and limit the revs - took weeks to sort out. Got rid of it soon after.

Stupidly bought a Volvo C30 2l petrol after that. Nice to drive, but it was a basic model so a cheap interior with no technology to speak and (obviously) ridiculously low on economy. I still like it, despite this, but it's costing me too much and is to be replaced imminently.

These cars were 'silver lightning' and black respectively. I always said I didn't want a silver or black car but somehow ended up doing exactly that. My next car is going to be 'emotion red' so I apologise in advance to people who have a problem with that sort of thing...

Worst car was in 1982 and it was an orange Daf 44, could get 60 max out of it going down hill with a following wind and the worst thing about it was that I paid my sister £50 for it and I still felt like I had been ripped off.

53 minutes ago, ossieram said:

Worst car was in 1982 and it was an orange Daf 44, could get 60 max out of it going down hill with a following wind and the worst thing about it was that I paid my sister £50 for it and I still felt like I had been ripped off.

Bloomin eck ! I'd forgotten about those . Continuously variable transmission ( well a rubber drive belt thing ) ... Ossie it was Dutch . I think Orange was the only colour :thumbsup:

3 minutes ago, jono said:

Bloomin eck ! I'd forgotten about those . Continuously variable transmission ( well a rubber drive belt thing ) ... Ossie it was Dutch . I think Orange was the only colour :thumbsup:

Yea belt drive and air cooled, and when the heat exchangers rusted through it sounded like a tank and a new set or a Daf exhaust would cost more than I paid for the car. Got heat exchangers from a VW at the scrappers and the exhaust was made up of Metro and Peugeot parts.

On 03/07/2017 at 22:34, Wolfie20 said:

Hillman Imp - money down the drain. Eventually got rid and replaced with a Morris 1000 which was great. Giving my age away now.

Oh the good old Moggie Minor! It had such skinny tyres you could drift it round bends really easily. great fun!

Our worst car was, without doubt a Renault Meganne Scenic. This is the fifth one to feature in this thread, so at last it can be described as a winner.

I bought it for my wife as she was caring for her elderly mum at the time, and we quite liked it at first. But then the trouble started. We started getting clutch drag, so we took it back for a new clutch under the warranty. IT still dragged, and we noticed the "receipt" was just for a clutch pressure plate, rather than a complete clutch. We had a new cable, followed by a new pedal, then a new pedal box, but no improvement. Then a battery failure on the day after Boxing day, so virtually no car or battery places open. An auto electrician charged me £140, but we had to get it done with family to visit and no other car. Then  it was the alternator, followed by the power steering pump.

We couldn't open the front passenger door from the outside, neither would the rear passenger door lock via the central locking. The Meganne Scenic was famous for its infinitely adjustable seats, but the right-hand, rear passenger seat wouldn't slide backwards or forwards, neither could we unclip it from the floor mounts. so it was stuck bang in the middle of the door opening, meaning we couldn't use the offside rear door.

Then  i noticed that at about 30mph the car would start "shaking its head", 'cos the wheel started to weave left and right. I put up with it for a while, but it got worse, with the car pulling to the left when going forwards, but pulling the other way in reverse, rather like one of those cheap remote control cars which only steered in one direction, making you go backwards and forwards to get round corners. Enough was enough and we traded it in for a Mondeo 2.0L automatic which only did about 15 mpg. Added to the 5 entries in this thread are the Meganne Scenics owned by 3 other people I know, and all of them are a catalogue of faults and breakdowns.

I have reached the stage that when I see one waiting to pull out of a junction, I will let the stupid thing out in front of me in the hope that the poor sod of a driver can get it to the next garage before it breaks down again!

11 hours ago, DavesaRam said:

Our worst car was, without doubt a Renault Meganne Scenic. This is the fifth one to feature in this thread, so at last it can be described as a winner.

The Megane certainly seems to be the biggest dog here in recent times.

Never had one myself but my sister had an 04 plate one a few years back (so it may hve been 4-5 years old) and she had nothing but trouble with it. Various intermittent faults that could never be identified and sorted. Engine light coming on regularly and losing power - again, never sorted.

Is it any wonder you don't see anywhere near as many Renaults on the road nowadays?

On 03/07/2017 at 23:25, 86 points said:

My old dear had one of these - Austin Maxi. Ugly as fook and I used to have to bump start the thing for her every morning. Ffin hated that car.

And no, that's not my old dear

Maxi-1750HL.jpg?resize=600,453

A mate of mine had one of these, uncomfortable as hell. Seem to remember they had a chassis fault and were likely to collapse in the  middle.

Also, I believe the earliest ones were inadvertently fitted with engines which had been drilled with the wrong jig, and the holes weren't deep enough such that the oil couldn't circulate.

And of course there was the Austin Allegro with the square steering wheel. No wonder the British car manufacturing went down the pan.

Worst car was the Volvo 345, with it's continuously variable transmission (which wasn't really a porblem). The thing was like a tank, understeered round corners, and had a long array of illuminated buttons for various functions, and uncomfortable seats. Trouble was, it was difficult to decide which button did what. The heated rear window button was next to the rear fog lamps, and were both orange. I lived in fear of blinding the driver behind whilst wanting to demist the rear window. Also, it was built for someone the size and strength of Bjorn Borg, which I am not!

Having a Renault engine, in naturally leaked oil, but the final straw was when the battery packed up, 15 months from new. I'd bought it at one year old from a bunch of scheisters in Loughborough, with a 3 month warranty. The battery was therefore out of warranty by a week and they charged me £76 for a new battery, (This is 1980) including £3 for acid, and some more for charging it up.

I naturally refused to pay and wrote extensively to various motoring to no avail . Then one day I gat a call from the RAC to say they couldn't believe how intransigent the company were and could do nothing more. Eventually I got a threatening letter from Dunn and Bradstreet threatening legal proceedings. I had 'flu at the time (the real thing) but dragged myself off to the Citizens advice centre in Leicester. They said I'd left it a bit late(like a year!) but suggested offering a part payment. I sent them about £25 and never heard another word. I traded it in at a considerable loss but would never go near a Volvo ever again.

Archived