Our Mel ( Cbeebies)

LesterRam

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Should Dad's receive cards and gifts today for "doing their job"

Should footballers get man of the match awards for "doing their job"

Should you get a Christmas bonus at work for "doing your job"

Is it really too much to just say well done, congratulations? It doesn't mean you agree with loaning Chris Martin out, sacking Paul Clement or plastering The Derby Way on the walls.

It's not an award for football knowledge and failed promotion bids, it's an award for recognising contributions to either a local or national level, next time you're in hospital you could be looking at a machine paid for by this man that could potentially save your life or your children's.

That wasn't "his job", it's not "his job" to support local charities.

Does the Vydra transfer fee really sting that badly, are you personally out of pocket for Bryson's new contract?

Some days it truly is embarrassing to be responsible for this place.

I can see the replies now, oh aye, here we go, head up Mel's arse for a free sausage but I won't be the only person sat shaking their head at this thread. 

Great post david and well said,alot of people dont know the man and only think they know Mr Morris because of what they see or read in some sh#t paper,question is would we all be as generous if we had the money,im sure many will say they would but very few actually would.trust me only a very few things have been mentioned of the work he does if you learn more about him the list goes on

9 hours ago, TommyPowel said:

or could it be for his  charity work which included a 1 million donation to the Derby Rpyal to buy high tech equipment which will enable surgeons to save lives.but dont let that spoil your biased views

You misunderstand.

I wasn't suggesting Mel hasn't done any good. He obviously has. It's the system.

Lots of people do great work in their community and raise and give money to charity. Lots of people go above and beyond their job. Many people save lives.

However, you are much more likely to receive an honour if you are rich, famous or connected to a political party. Mel has being doing good work for years but gets an award a few weeks after hosting a political party event.

It's not confined to the Tories as a disproportionate number of union leaders or Labour Party donatees receive awards as well.

If awards are to be given and i would suggest that the title is outdated and arguably racially insensitive then it should be purely down to a non-political independent panel otherwise the it is open to corruption or the appearance of being corrupt. 

The leader of Kensington Council is still more likely to receive an award than any of the firemen who ran up those burning stairs. If that makes me biased, then guilty as charged. 

But i do understand what you are saying in respect to the firemen etc but the royal family has other ways to honour brave men etc

5 minutes ago, sage said:

You misunderstand.

I wasn't suggesting Mel hasn't done any good. He obviously has. It's the system.

Lots of people do great work in their community and raise and give money to charity. Lots of people go above and beyond their job. Many people save lives.

However, you are much more likely to receive an honour if you are rich, famous or connected to a political party. Mel has being doing good work for years but gets an award a few weeks after hosting a political party event.

It's not confined to the Tories as a disproportionate number of union leaders or Labour Party donatees receive awards as well.

If awards are to be given and i would suggest that the title is outdated and arguably racially insensitive then it should be purely down to a non-political independent panel otherwise the it is open to corruption or the appearance of being corrupt. 

The leader of Kensington Council is still more likely to receive an award than any of the firemen who ran up those burning stairs. If that makes me biased, then guilty as charged. 

You realise you have to be nominated for a CBE and it can take a year before you are even told? It's not a rush job that can be done in 2 weeks because you host a political event. The Queens Birthday Honours will have been pre planned months in advance.

I'm sure I'm not educating you here, just confused as to why you're throwing politics into this.

That is correct david,some people are always looking for an angle in some way,Mr Morris charity work has been going on for years,do we really think he only became rich thru the sale of candy crush,he was very successful along time before that,

1 minute ago, David said:

You realise you have to be nominated for a CBE and it can take a year before you are even told? It's not a rush job that can be done in 2 weeks because you host a political event. The Queens Birthday Honours will have been pre planned months in advance.

I'm sure I'm not educating you here, just confused as to why you're throwing politics into this.

I do know you get some notice though it isn't a year. 

It's not party political. It's about a political and establishment system. Because the system has carried on for years in such a corrupt way that it leaves itself open to suspicion even if it is being non-partisan. 

1 minute ago, sage said:

I do know you get some notice though it isn't a year. 

It's not party political. It's about a political and establishment system. Because the system has carried on for years in such a corrupt way that it leaves itself open to suspicion even if it is being non-partisan. 

The nomination process can take a year to 18 months, then you will have some notice that you are to be awarded, you could be looking at 2 years when this whole process started. 

I wont argue with you on the system, not because you're right but my knowledge is limited to a quick half hour Google search, I will be in the deep end without my armbands.

Just think the recent event at Pride Park is hugely irrelevant and the timing coincidental, unless we're blaming Mel for advising Theresa May to call a General Election in which case I think we should also blame Keogh as well.

1 minute ago, David said:

The nomination process can take a year to 18 months, then you will have some notice that you are to be awarded, you could be looking at 2 years when this whole process started. 

I wont argue with you on the system, not because you're right but my knowledge is limited to a quick half hour Google search, I will be in the deep end without my armbands.

Just think the recent event at Pride Park is hugely irrelevant and the timing coincidental, unless we're blaming Mel for advising Theresa May to call a General Election in which case I think we should also blame Keogh as well.

Well now you're getting to the real heart of the problem. Keogh.

Always diving into challenges which persuaded May to dive into this snap election instead of staying strong and stable next to Pearce. 

To prove my impartiality I'm not a fan of Weimann and he's a left winger.

BKO

3 hours ago, David said:

Should Dad's receive cards and gifts today for "doing their job"

Should footballers get man of the match awards for "doing their job"

Should you get a Christmas bonus at work for "doing your job"

Is it really too much to just say well done, congratulations? It doesn't mean you agree with loaning Chris Martin out, sacking Paul Clement or plastering The Derby Way on the walls.

It's not an award for football knowledge and failed promotion bids, it's an award for recognising contributions to either a local or national level, next time you're in hospital you could be looking at a machine paid for by this man that could potentially save your life or your children's.

That wasn't "his job", it's not "his job" to support local charities.

Does the Vydra transfer fee really sting that badly, are you personally out of pocket for Bryson's new contract?

Some days it truly is embarrassing to be responsible for this place.

I can see the replies now, oh aye, here we go, head up Mel's arse for a free sausage but I won't be the only person sat shaking their head at this thread. 

Brilliant David and all totally true , I've said snippets of what your getting at in other posts , regarding Johnson and Butterfield. 

It's also relatively easy for 'ordinary' people to be nominated for - and receive - these awards. I know several people across the local charity sector who have picked up these awards. It's just that you're less likely to read about them in the papers (unless you still buy the Derby Telegraph.)

As for Mel, I am pleased for him - he works hard for his community of which Derby County FC is a big part. 

His business in the past has employed loads of people and he has given to charities of his choice. What's not to like? 

I know you cynics think it's all about the money but if you want profit, recognition or thanks don't buy a football club! 

No-one would have even noticed that he had won this award if he wasn't owner of DCFC.

3 hours ago, sage said:

You misunderstand.

I see your point but being a traditionalist i cannot agree

12 hours ago, HantsRam said:

Not for the sake of it no.

We are, for the time being,  the United Kingdom. That should do as an honouring entity. 

The commonwealth is ok as long as other commonwealth nations can put their citizens in.

It isnt unheard of for commonwealth citizens being honored our media unfortunately only highlight uk people.In fact you might be surprised to know over 50 received various honours in 2016

Archived