Interesting stat.

Agadirram

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
55 minutes ago, TomInceOnFire said:

Anybody else think either of these teams have a decent chance of breaking our record?

No.

Our record will never ever be beaten.

A truly awful team, mixed with a lot of bad luck in the form of late goals conceded conspired to give us a points total that I doubt any team will even come close to for a long time.

1 hour ago, TomInceOnFire said:

Anybody else think either of these teams have a decent chance of breaking our record?

Nope- don't see any team ever being within 5 points of it. We were freaks (or rather the players and management were).

Sith Happens
1 hour ago, Mafiabob said:

If it ain't broke why fix it? 

Could have said that 30 years ago or whenever it was and not introduced them.

17 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

Could have said that 30 years ago or whenever it was and not introduced them.

Then you'd probably have pretty much the same 5/6 clubs going up and down I'd imagine.....

Sith Happens
14 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

Then you'd probably have pretty much the same 5/6 clubs going up and down I'd imagine.....

Doesnt appear thats the case from history, just looking solely at promoted teams in the 10 years leading up to the play off introduction only 5 teams were promoted twice in that period, none 3 times.

11 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

Doesnt appear thats the case from history, just looking solely at promoted teams in the 10 years leading up to the play off introduction only 5 teams were promoted twice in that period, none 3 times.

I knew you would look..... taking into account if never was play offs I meant..... I should have been a bit clearer apologies

Sith Happens
1 minute ago, Mafiabob said:

I knew you would look..... taking into account if never was play offs I meant..... I should have been a bit clearer apologies

Its hard to say i think, i also looked at the past 10 years excluding this and 5 teams have also gone up more than once but 2 of them 3 times so maybe there is an argument to say with the current system it gives those coming down more chance to get back up? I dont think there is any evidence to say if the play offs didnt exist it would always be the same few clubs involved each season.

I have no real issue with a play off system, there is no doubt it keeps the system alive for many clubs, but i see no real advantage for a team finishing 3rd over the the finishing 6th and i just think there should be.

They changed it before, so why not again.

If a team finishing 6th knew they had to get through a QF,SFand then Final to go up it might give them extra incentive to try and finish 3rd, at this moment in time the only aim seems to be top two or top six thats it.

6 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

Its hard to say i think, i also looked at the past 10 years excluding this and 5 teams have also gone up more than once but 2 of them 3 times so maybe there is an argument to say with the current system it gives those coming down more chance to get back up? I dont think there is any evidence to say if the play offs didnt exist it would always be the same few clubs involved each season.

I have no real issue with a play off system, there is no doubt it keeps the system alive for many clubs, but i see no real advantage for a team finishing 3rd over the the finishing 6th and i just think there should be.

They changed it before, so why not again.

If a team finishing 6th knew they had to get through a QF,SFand then Final to go up it might give them extra incentive to try and finish 3rd, at this moment in time the only aim seems to be top two or top six thats it.

Just think it's finely balanced, I would make it top 3 automatic though..... and maybe have 2/3 teams from league above fighting it out play off wise with teams trying to get up 

4 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Well at the moment I don't see any advantage for 3rd and 4th place teams.

Home advantage in the 2nd leg doesn't really count for anything.

Extra time and penalties, if needed, at home infront of your home supporters is an advantage.

It isn't a huge advantage, but statistically speaking those who have had the 2nd leg at home have progressed more often than those who haven't. Same applies for the last 16 of the CL.

Sith Happens
2 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

Just think it's finely balanced, I would make it top 3 automatic though..... and maybe have 2/3 teams from league above fighting it out play off wise with teams trying to get up 

My personal preference would be 3 going up. I know at first the play offs involved a team from the higher division. Thats ok I have no issue with that either other than I dont think you could really play the final at Wembley if that was the case. It would be wrong to reward a team finishing say 18th in the PL a wembley day out for staying up in the same division.

The only way you could make it a straight three up, three down scenario is by shortening the league numbers to around 18.

The playoffs are perfectly fine as they are, and having them means there is still something to play for at the end of January for anyone within say 10 points of 6th spot.

If you did a straight three up, three down there would be nearly half of the league with absoloutely nothing to play for over the last 18 matches or so. How boring would that be?

At the 28 game mark in late January, Derby beat Ipswich 3-0. There was an 11-point difference between Reading in 3rd and Barnsley in 8th at that time and 10 points difference between the bottom three and 17th.

So basically you would end up with 10 teams there just going through the motions for the rest of the season. If that was the case, fans wouldn't bother turning up with nothing to play for.

54 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Extra time and penalties, if needed, at home infront of your home supporters is an advantage.

It isn't a huge advantage, but statistically speaking those who have had the 2nd leg at home have progressed more often than those who haven't. Same applies for the last 16 of the CL.

Yes that's a fair point.

What is the percentage of teams that have qualified having home advantage?

On 5/20/2017 at 20:00, Agadirram said:

4 teams reached the Championship Play-offs in 2016/17.

The 2 successful teams in reaching the play-off final had a combined goal difference of  +2

The 2 unsuccessful teams that failed to reach the play-off final had a combined goal difference of  +43

It`s not how you win nor by how many.......just win.

But would our fans accept a style of play akin to Karanka's Boro side or would many still find a reason to complain? I'd love to see us in the Premiership but our last visit still gives me nightmares. In order to go up and stay up it's my guess we need to be a team that plays proper football and not a side merely capable of stopping other teams from doing the same.

Who'd be a manager, huh, or an owner for that matter?

13 hours ago, Sparkle said:

All true but it doesn't bode well for them come the premiership 

Nailed on favourites to get relegated who ever gets the win at Wembley, Both relied on loan players who were their stellar performers. Also both teams had more than their share of good fortune. I do feel sorry for Wednesday and Fulham, but that's football.

You could always introduce away goals, but with a twist where if the scores are the same after the two matches then the higher team advances.

So if both games finish 1-1, then 3rd advances over 6th. That's what they do here in the Mexican League playoffs.

The only problem is away goals often causes teams to just defend and theoretically 3rd place team could advance to the final without actually winning a game which could also prompt a negative approach.

I say keep it as it is. The whole idea of the playoffs is it's meant to be a lottery, giving anyone a shot at promotion.

10 minutes ago, FindernRam said:

I would add a wrinkle to this: Top 3 go up automatically. 4th 5th 6th and 17th from prem league play off for one more spot. Added drama at both ends! 

I do like that idea but there is no way the Premier League would agree to a potential 4th relegation spot.

My other idea was to have Champ playoffs as follows:

6th plays 5th (at 5th's ground). ET & penalties.

Winner plays 4th (at 4th's ground) ""

Winner plays 3rd at Wembley.

That way. the advantage is always with the higher placed team & would make it "fairer" IMO. eg: If you finish 6th, you've got to beat all the other 3 playoff teams to get promoted.

Archived