Interesting stat.

Agadirram

11 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

I do like that idea but there is no way the Premier League would agree to a potential 4th relegation spot.

My other idea was to have Champ playoffs as follows:

6th plays 5th (at 5th's ground). ET & penalties.

Winner plays 4th (at 4th's ground) ""

Winner plays 3rd at Wembley.

That way. the advantage is always with the higher placed team & would make it "fairer" IMO. eg: If you finish 6th, you've got to beat all the other 3 playoff teams to get promoted.

Similar to what they do in Scotland, but they have 2 legs. 3rd vs 4th winner plays 2nd winner plays 2nd bottom of the above league winner is in the above league.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 20/05/2017 at 21:00, Agadirram said:

4 teams reached the Championship Play-offs in 2016/17.

The 2 successful teams in reaching the play-off final had a combined goal difference of  +2

The 2 unsuccessful teams that failed to reach the play-off final had a combined goal difference of  +43

It`s not how you win nor by how many.......just win.

and form going into it means nothing.

they are never like normal league games, they are a competition all of their own, tense as f*ck and more like games in the euros last year. In that each team is making sure they dont loose and basically not being very adventerous.

1 hour ago, FindernRam said:

I would add a wrinkle to this: Top 3 go up automatically. 4th 5th 6th and 17th from prem league play off for one more spot. Added drama at both ends! 

change that to top 2 go up auto, 3, 4, 5 and 18th in the premier.

It changes the leagues too much season on season having 4 teams swap places each season.

In germany its top 2 and bottom 2 go up and down, with 3rd team in the playoff against 3rd bottom from the league above

17 hours ago, Paul71 said:

My personal preference would be 3 going up. I know at first the play offs involved a team from the higher division. Thats ok I have no issue with that either other than I dont think you could really play the final at Wembley if that was the case. It would be wrong to reward a team finishing say 18th in the PL a wembley day out for staying up in the same division.

I agree with the last part. If it was up to me, and i had authority in all things football, i would have the 2legged playoff between 18th in prem and 3rd in championship (possibly 4th or 5th if it was an extended playoff similar to todays format)

and... Id have a league cup which featured 0 premiership teams. So basically your only day out at wembley is if you reach the final. Then when you win, there is meaning behind the trophy.

Having a trophy for winning a playoff, when promotion is the real prize is totally stupid. especially when the 2nd automatic promotion team doesnt win a trophy.

20 hours ago, 86 points said:

But would our fans accept a style of play akin to Karanka's Boro side or would many still find a reason to complain? I'd love to see us in the Premiership but our last visit still gives me nightmares. In order to go up and stay up it's my guess we need to be a team that plays proper football and not a side merely capable of stopping other teams from doing the same.

Who'd be a manager, huh, or an owner for that matter?

Functional football gets you up. Proper football will almost certainly keep you up.

I think back to the likes of Reading in 11/12, Cardiff and Hull in 12/13, Boro last year… they all looked awful and yet were automatically promoted, some as champions.

Going up in that fashion requires £30-40 million spent well just to give you a chance. 

Archived