Happy Birthday Derby County...

Ellafella

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, Inverurie Ram said:

I think I"ll celebrate by drinking 134 large ones to mark the occasion, 1 down, 133 to go, hope I make church in the morning!

You probably will

in a box.

1 hour ago, Inverurie Ram said:

I think I"ll celebrate by drinking 134 large ones to mark the occasion, 1 down, 133 to go, hope I make church in the morning!

6 O'clock mass maybe..."Forgive me father, for I have sinned. It's been 133 pints since my last confession..."

On 2017-5-13 at 11:02, Ellafella said:

http://www.derbyshirelife.co.uk/people/local-people/derby-county-fc-the-men-who-made-the-rams-1-3227057

I think I may have cleared this up myself...of course the answer lies in Peter Seddon's brilliant book "The Men who made the Rams" who says indeed it was late April 1884 when young Morley came up with the idea and May 13th at the Bell Hotel when the Rams was officially "founded".

Seddon suggests the site should be marked - surely merits a blue plaque? - and maybe we should organise a big party at the Old Bell  on May 13th every year to celebrate? ?. 

13/5 is Derby County Day! 

Yes, absolutely agree that a blue plaque should be sited at The Old Bell Hotel. 13\5\1884 was a very significant event in Derby & Rams heritage! Lobbying to be pursued...;)

Peter Seddon's book MWMTR is a wonderful labour of love from that fine author, which assembles in detail the formation of the Rams and the club's earliest days.

As I'm involved in the heritage stuff, I took stocks of it as soon as it was published. I do still have (signed) copies available - PM me if interested.

44 minutes ago, Woodypecker said:

Yes, absolutely agree that a blue plaque should be sited at The Old Bell Hotel. 13\5\1884 was a very significant event in Derby & Rams heritage! Lobbying to be pursued...;)

Peter Seddon's book MWMTR is a wonderful labour of love from that fine author, which assembles in detail the formation of the Rams and the club's earliest days.

As I'm involved in the heritage stuff, I took stocks of it as soon as it was published. I do still have (signed) copies available - PM me if interested.

I've already got and read the book Woody but would be interested in finding out more and perhaps help with lobbying etc. I'll send you a personal message to find out more. 

2 hours ago, Ellafella said:

I've already got and read the book Woody but would be interested in finding out more and perhaps help with lobbying etc. I'll send you a personal message to find out more. 

OK, cheers Ella, I await your message :thumbsup:

I'm sure summat can be made to happen, in recognition of the history...

C O Y R 

3 hours ago, Ellafella said:

Jono,

could you introduce me. I'd really like to meet the guy. 

I am sure I could. We talk over a garden wall about twice a year so I can't quite claim to be a mate but I do know him and he me.m

i'll drop you a message via the profile message thing.

4 minutes ago, jono said:

I am sure I could. We talk over a garden wall about twice a year so I can't quite claim to be a mate but I do know him and he me.m

i'll drop you a message via the profile message thing.

Many thanks Jono,

I have a couple of ideas that would rely on peter's original research so need to understand how much material there is to go on. 

?

I went to the Wikipedia page, and it still gives the February date, which perhaps needs changing.

I was surprised to find out that there are 32/33 older clubs than us currently in the top four tiers of the league, when only a handful were founder members of the league in 88. Was it 8 or 12 clubs - my memory's going?

4 minutes ago, Ken Tram said:

I went to the Wikipedia page, and it still gives the February date, which perhaps needs changing.

I was surprised to find out that there are 32/33 older clubs than us currently in the top four tiers of the league, when only a handful were founder members of the league in 88. Was it 8 or 12 clubs - my memory's going?

12 Kenny

22 minutes ago, Ken Tram said:

That's right Ken. I read in Peter Seddon's book that Derby County were considered total upstarts when they were elected in 1888. He suggests the rather sumptuous setting of the racecourse ground had something to do with it ...perhaps there were other factors? There were plenty other established Derby teams that existed before Derbyshire County...later changed to Derby County due to Derbyshire FA's ruling that they represented Derbyshire football and so couldn't allow the potential confusion.  

On 13 May 2017 at 22:09, Ellafella said:

6 O'clock mass maybe..."Forgive me father, for I have sinned. It's been 133 pints since my last confession..."

"That Derby County got me drinking, look at the state I'm in................"

Bumped into Johnny Depp at 6 O'clock mass, he asked if we had sold Tom Ince yet, before we got stuck back into the Gin.

Archived