Happy Birthday Derby County...

Ellafella

134 today!

...or is it?

Colin Gibson said at the Fans Forum t'other neet that Derby County was formed at a meeting at the Bell Hotel on May 13th 1884. 

However, a quick look at Wiki for the year 1884 shows that Derby County was formed on Feb 5th 1884. ?

Can anybody clear this up only I've just been and bought a load of jelly n ice cream and I don't want it to go to waste...

Any way well done to Derbyshire CCC for forming the Club. Looking good at 134...but by crikey we should be in the top echelon of football giving damned good thrashings to those southern softies. Football after all was just about invented by Derby folk. ?

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.derbyshirelife.co.uk/people/local-people/derby-county-fc-the-men-who-made-the-rams-1-3227057

I think I may have cleared this up myself...of course the answer lies in Peter Seddon's brilliant book "The Men who made the Rams" who says indeed it was late April 1884 when young Morley came up with the idea and May 13th at the Bell Hotel when the Rams was officially "founded".

Seddon suggests the site should be marked - surely merits a blue plaque? - and maybe we should organise a big party at the Old Bell  on May 13th every year to celebrate? ?. 

13/5 is Derby County Day! 

1 hour ago, Ellafella said:

134 today!

...or is it?

Colin Gibson said at the Fans Forum t'other neet that Derby County was formed at a meeting at the Bell Hotel on May 13th 1884. 

However, a quick look at Wiki for the year 1884 shows that Derby County was formed on Feb 5th 1884. ?

Can anybody clear this up only I've just been and bought a load of jelly n ice cream and I don't want it to go to waste...

Any way well done to Derbyshire CCC for forming the Club. Looking good at 134...but by crikey we should be in the top echelon of football giving damned good thrashings to those southern softies. Football after all was just about invented by Derby folk. ?

Oops actually 133 not 134 ☺

1 hour ago, Ellafella said:

134 today!

...or is it?

The Football League was formed in 1888.

Derbyshire FA formed in 1883

1884-1885 Derby  County had friendly matches with 6-0 away defeat to Great Lever on the 13th September 

1884 the first Derbyshire Final between Derby Midland and Staveley at Derbyshires County Ground on Nottingham Road attracted 7000 people  MARCH  1884

The Rams were named after the mascot of the Sherwood Foresters 

May 13th 1884 could be the date of the meeting at the Bell Hotel when Derby County was formed but I can't find a reference. 

15 minutes ago, curtains said:

1884-1885 Derby  County had friendly matches with 6-0 away defeat to Great Lever on the 13th September 

1884 the first Derbyshire Final between Derby Midland and Staveley at Derbyshires County Ground on Nottingham Road attracted 7000 people  MARCH  1884

May 13th 1884 could be the date of the meeting at the Bell Hotel when Derby County was formed but I can't find a reference. 

http://www.derbyshirelife.co.uk/people/local-people/derby-county-fc-the-men-who-made-the-rams-1-3227057

Click on the above link and read Curtains. Peter Seddon uncovered this and should take great credit for doing so. 

2 hours ago, Ellafella said:

Any way well done to Derbyshire CCC for forming the Club. Looking good at 134...but by crikey we should be in the top echelon of football giving damned good thrashings to those southern softies. 

Oi !!!

2 hours ago, curtains said:

I always thought we got our nick name from the Derby Ram ballad. 

Acrimonious disputes and petty squabbles characterised the first four seasons – but Derby County brushed off such irritations in the name of progress. 

Start as you mean to go on!

6 hours ago, Ellafella said:

I think I may have cleared this up myself...of course the answer lies in Peter Seddon's brilliant book "The Men who made the Rams" who says indeed it was late April 1884 when young Morley came up with the idea and May 13th at the Bell Hotel when the Rams was officially "founded".

Seddon suggests the site should be marked - surely merits a blue plaque? - and maybe we should organise a big party at the Old Bell  on May 13th every year to celebrate? ?. 

13/5 is Derby County Day! 

Perhaps we should name the south stand after the pub in honour of it. The Bell End. Has a nice ring to it.

8 hours ago, Ellafella said:

134 today!

...or is it?

If I was less apathetic I would raise my head off my antimacassar , head north and belabour you with my shooting stick.

Softies indeed- how very dare you :lol: 

2 hours ago, Angry Ram said:

Ya ain't big, ya ain't bad but you might be Bob.. 2 out of 3 ain't bad. 

Wee Bobby.:D

Stop pretending to be the only cockney in the house, there are at least, ehm... 10 according to Chris Evans wall chart.

Archived