Mark O'Brien

Highgate

Nice to see the former Ram have a good day. Not too many players get to save their clubs from relegation with a last minute winner on the final day of the season, but that's exactly what he did for Newport County.

He's been unlucky in his career, having such serious heart problems at such a young age. I don't know whether he ever would have made it at Derby, but he is such a fully committed and honest player, that it's hard not to be happy for him finally getting some reward for his efforts. Jeff Stelling might not agree though.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can remember thinking that it would be he and not Jeff Hendrick of the Cherry Orchard boys who would go on to have the more glittering career. He looked to be a classy centre half. I can't remember the opponent, but I recall one time when, under extreme pressure, he flicked the ball over his own head and just dribbled it clear of danger leaving the opposing forward (and most of the crowd) bamboozled.

8 hours ago, eddie said:

I can remember thinking that it would be he and not Jeff Hendrick of the Cherry Orchard boys who would go on to have the more glittering career. He looked to be a classy centre half. I can't remember the opponent, but I recall one time when, under extreme pressure, he flicked the ball over his own head and just dribbled it clear of danger leaving the opposing forward (and most of the crowd) bamboozled.

Wasn't it Birmingham first game of the 11/12 season?

On 2017-5-7 at 10:30, eddie said:

It left Clough furious with him when he did that.

22 hours ago, Gypsy Ram said:

It left Clough furious with him when he did that.

Must have controlled the ball with the outside of his foot.

On 07/05/2017 at 01:46, Highgate said:

Nice to see the former Ram have a good day. Not too many players get to save their clubs from relegation with a last minute winner on the final day of the season, but that's exactly what he did for Newport County.

He's been unlucky in his career, having such serious heart problems at such a young age. I don't know whether he ever would have made it at Derby, but he is such a fully committed and honest player, that it's hard not to be happy for him finally getting some reward for his efforts. Jeff Stelling might not agree though.

I remember Clough singing his praises and the whole backroom staff being high on him. Real big shame it didn't work out for the lad.

I never really rated him. Thought he was a hoof merchant and he wasn't great in the air. In fairness though there's not many CB's that are at their best under the age of 20! Maybe he's improved a lot. I remember him being quite small.

The standout was his distribution. Very frustrating. 

That trick was impressive under pressure

On 07/05/2017 at 08:30, eddie said:

On 07/05/2017 at 16:53, rynny said:

Wasn't it Birmingham first game of the 11/12 season?

Burnley at home near the start of that season, I'm fairly sure it was Charlie Austin pressuring him.

Eddie's brought it up before but I had to give him a like again. It's easily the coolest thing I've ever seen a DCFC defender do, right in front of where I was sitting too ??

On 7 May 2017 at 08:30, eddie said:

Interesting.

i used to think of him as the new steve powell.

Archived