Shall we be honest lads, how amazing was Graham Richards

Mick Harford

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
52 minutes ago, Ewe Ram said:

I feel safe to post now. I really disliked him and Ian Hall. They spent more time waffling and pontificating than commentating. I was seriously happy when they fired him. 

Are you really saying that you prefer the current pair of numpties? Surely not?

Buried away somewhere I have a cassette tape called 'Back In The Big Time' it's a summary of the 85-86 season along with clips of commentary from all of the games.

Absolutely brilliant listen, wonderful memories of when I first started watching The Rams.

22 minutes ago, Grimbeard said:

No wonder the clubs in a state when we can't gather a few positive words to say about anyone connected with Derby County Football Club. 

Never known fans like it. 

McClaren out, Mel out, Evans out, Phillips out, Radio Derby out. Everybody out. 

what a brilliant commentator he was ..if you couldn't get to the game listen to graham.. not like the pair of burks on there now. Some people on here have no respect

I liked Graham Richards until he thought he was the voice of Derby County then I went off him , to full of himself after that , similar to Alan Green on Radio 5 , I don't really listen to Radio Derby any more , Home Games I am at the ground and when they are away I prefer to watch Sky Sports Soccer Special and let the suspense build, dont have anything against them and (sticking my head above the parapet ) I quite like the current pairing , a bit more understated than previous

49 minutes ago, Grimbeard said:

No I didn't say that, I only said I didn't like Richards and Hall. I even rang their moan in once I was so sick of their continual criticism of the team and the club. Richards was pompous and talked twaddle that he congratulated himself on. 

23 minutes ago, ostrichram said:

what a brilliant commentator he was ..if you couldn't get to the game listen to graham.. not like the pair of burks on there now. Some people on here have no respect

Respect? For whom? And why would he deserve respect??

Those were the days. Turn up at the popside with yer fiver and in yer went. Never missed a game home and away for years

5 hours ago, Mr Tibbs said:

No wonder the clubs in a state when we can't gather a few positive words to say about anyone connected with Derby County Football Club. 

Never known fans like it. 

McClaren out, Mel out, Evans out, Phillips out, Radio Derby out. Everybody out. 

Surely they're connected to the BBC rather than the club.

4 hours ago, Ewe Ram said:

No I didn't say that, I only said I didn't like Richards and Hall. I even rang their moan in once I was so sick of their continual criticism of the team and the club. Richards was pompous and talked twaddle that he congratulated himself on. 

Fair enough.You're wrong, obviously, but you're entitled to your opinion.

Graham Richards always said what he thought without fear or favour. There were a few cringe-worthy moments to be sure and Ian Hall did not add much, but Richards was always worth listening to.

I prefer broadcasters who do not follow the crowd and are prepared to be critical of the club, Whilst I enjoy the banter currently heard on Radio Derby they are as bland as the Telegraph and a pale reflection of former days.

(Also does any one actually watch the Nicholson videos on the DET site?)

13 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Buried away somewhere I have a cassette tape called 'Back In The Big Time' it's a summary of the 85-86 season along with clips of commentary from all of the games.

Absolutely brilliant listen, wonderful memories of when I first started watching The Rams.

I had that also, Stand up if you were at the Victoria Ground Hartlepool "We are the Champions" if you were at Port Vale and Stoke "We are the Champions" Because were back, Derby County founder members of the Football League are back where they belong

(Paraphrased) Was an amazing cassette, only available from the Radio Derby offices iirc

2 minutes ago, Mick Harford said:

I had that also, Stand up if you were at the Victoria Ground Hartlepool "We are the Champions" if you were at Port Vale and Stoke "We are the Champions" Because were back, Derby County founder members of the Football League are back where they belong

(Paraphrased) Was an amazing cassette, only available from the Radio Derby offices iirc

'Rob Hindmarch rose like a salmon out of fresh spring waters...'

Archived