Why we shouldn't blame the players

davenportram

In any organisation morale, unity and togetherness is critical to success. This come from the guy or guyess heading it up. If they demonstrate a vision or model behaviour that demonstrates the values required of the employees then the ethos is strong and effective.

this season we have seen morale, confidence and unity apparently diminish within the squad. 

the time when we had strongest moral and unity in the last 10 years was when we got to Wembley. Players worked hard for each other and showed pride in playing for the club. A squad that was built by a manager whose personal principles  are built around effort, integrity and hard work. Loyal to the clubs that employ him and expects loyalty from players.

The manager is responsible for creating the team/squad spirit and instilling the values of the club in players. This in turn will show in games and performances.

some will say that "but the players haven't performed for several managers so it can't be the manager it's the players" yet throughout football teams see improved performances when a new manager takes over, wether or not the improvements become consistent is down to how the manager builds the team/club ethos and I still the belief and principles in the players.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the players became demoralised by the tactics which were clearly not working for some time.

schteve was very very slow to wake up to the danger he was in.

Just now, Anon said:

I agree. Tone at the top is key. Is there any wonder that there is paranoia, infighting, back-biting, and a crippling fear that overrides everything with Mel pulling the strings?

Mel has always held a consistent stance. He expects managers to work to improve the club and instill in players the desire and pride to play in a Derby shirt. He expects hard work and loyalty to the club. 

i was surprised he went back to SM given SM apparent lack of loyalty to the club before he left the first time.

1 minute ago, davenportram said:

Mel has always held a consistent stance. He expects managers to work to improve the club and instill in players the desire and pride to play in a Derby shirt. He expects hard work and loyalty to the club. 

i was surprised he went back to SM given SM apparent lack of loyalty to the club before he left the first time.

It's now up to four managers (one temporary, one twice) who've failed to meet those expectations. What questions is Mel asking in interviews? What research is doing into the candidates he appoints?

5 minutes ago, davenportram said:

Not heard about players going to see Mel.

Pat Murphy seems to have some inside info....

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39251254

"McClaren had set in place a major overhaul of the dressing room this summer, aware that he had been undermined by some malcontents speaking to club owner Mel Morris, a micro-manager who demands success and is not known for his patience - four managers in just over a year testify to that.

But it is his club, his £100m-plus investment, and he will run it his way."

Just now, philmycock said:

"McClaren had set in place a major overhaul of the dressing room this summer, aware that he had been undermined by some malcontents speaking to club owner Mel Morris, a micro-manager who demands success and is not known for his patience - four managers in just over a year testify to that.

Just seen that in another thread.

To sum up, Mac didn't have a plan B and if he did, it didn't work. We had a manager who came in and inherited some players that Pearson signed. Also lost our top goal scorer on loan. Injuries have not helped. Its been a combination of a lot of things which just sometimes get considered by Mel. We are just taking one pace forward and two backwards all the time when we make changes to the coaches. 

7 minutes ago, philmycock said:

That's horrific. Whoever those players are they need to be a.) named and shamed and b.) sold in the summer.

A large proportion of this squad have simply reached their level of competence. It can't continue.

The capitulation, season-on-season when we get to the 'business end' of the campaign isn't just unfortunate, it is a syndrome, a malaise, and a serial change in managerial regimes and styles has only rendered the same fall-off in performance. Who can move us on? We now have another bloody year to endure to find out....

It is baffling, but predictable, and is damning the club into prolonged instability. I can't see how we should anticipate the retention of the squad core that cannot surmount the baggage of the past, or just cannot attain and sustain consistency in their performances. They are not worthy of the shirt, or worth their wages.

Whoever comes in must overhaul the squad and cannot afford to be a pleasant 'tinkerman'...ohh - don't say Mel has Ranieri lined up!?

6 minutes ago, oomarkwright said:

the best thing to do for the rest of the season is put the players in charge of picking the team and the tactics. that way if they don;t win then they only have themselves to blame. save on wages too! 

Great idea, a selection comittee like the early 1900s, have a nominated player as head coach and voting from the rest of squad for the lineup.

Mel has to shoulder some of the responsibility, but I'm amazed there are 6 separate threads about him and only one about the players.

The squad is rotten. That Pat Murphy article does not surprise me one bit. They've got 3 mangers sacked in 2 years. They all need to be shipped out. SMc obviously knew this and was planning to sort it out over the summer, but it looks like the snakes get their way again before they were chucked overboard.

The players have a lot to answer for. I'm fed up with the lot of them.  

Fans feel powerless; players get vast wages to dish up unacceptable rubbish. How the hell can this cycle be broken when crap players keep on 'picking the manager?' 

Quite seriously, we should all boycott the PoTY this season - and hold some kind of anti-vote to deliver to Mel, where the highest-voted get a message that they are not wanted.

Just sick of seeing the same tripe served up from this lot. I've seen 'em all at Derby - since before Brian Clough was appointed, it's not a knee-jerk, the rotten apples must be sorted out.

Archived