How to cover football - BBC style

KBB

Nice to see sexism is still alive and well in the world of football. 

Guess it'll take quite some time for attitudes to change. For me, I was brought up in a home where it was my Mum taking me to the games, watching footy on the TV and having a kickabout with me in the garden. My Dad has very little interest in it. It's in no way alien or surprising to me to know that women enjoy, play and have careers in football, including commentary. 

For the record, some of the comments towards that female linesman seem to have died down since the wide condemnation and sacking of those two dinosaurs on Sky a few years ago. It should and will become more common to have women involved in the men's version of the game, though not on the pitch in a playing capacity. 

Not sure why 'left' is now an insult either. Particularly when it's the opposite of right - the political wing currently occupied by a certain Trump. I'm happy to be distanced from people like him personally, so call me a lefty as much as you like. 

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Howard Canitbé said:

Guess it'll take quite some time for attitudes to change. For me, I was brought up in a home where it was my Mum taking me to the games, watching footy on the TV and having a kickabout with me in the garden. My Dad has very little interest in it. It's in no way alien or surprising to me to know that women enjoy, play and have careers in football, including commentary. 

For the record, some of the comments towards that female linesman seem to have died down since the wide condemnation and sacking of those two dinosaurs on Sky a few years ago. It should and will become more common to have women involved in the men's version of the game, though not on the pitch in a playing capacity. 

Not sure why 'left' is now an insult either. Particularly when it's the opposite of right - the political wing currently occupied by a certain Trump. I'm happy to be distanced from people like him personally, so call me a lefty as much as you like. 

I wonder when we see the first female manager in the higher leagues. In world's top 100 managers you'd expect to be a couple women too.

5 hours ago, Howard Canitbé said:

Karren Brady blazed a trail but must be a bit ahead of her time as can't think of any others who have followed. 

Saw at least one female lino on the weekend highlights so fair play.

And physios / doctors is another area where women are becoming more prevalent. Always on merit.

Not tokenism - should always be on merit. We've had some excellent female sports presenters. And some poor ones.

For a current example of not very good take in the  itv bundesliga highlights.

7 hours ago, Howard Canitbé said:

Maybe, but her performances may of helped as I think she is one of the best linesman going! I think she deserves credit for that.

Oh and politically I am probably the opposite to you 'being more right wing,' but that doesn't make me sexist :lol: either way I will keep my distance ;)

23 hours ago, HantsRam said:

The lady was Robyn Cowen. She sounded a tiny bit nervous and over compensated by talking too loudly and a bit too much.,,,

Barry Davies once said that the art of good commentary was knowing when to shut up....

I think the issue is not necessarily sexism, but that it tends to be easier to listen to someone with a low-pitched voice - the higher the voice, the quicker it grates - Sky, for example, have a woman that covers some matches for scores and updates (no idea what her name is) who I'm guessing is from Essex - seems to know her football but her voice! (particularly if there is crowd noise when she tends to shout)....

I'd quite happily swap a few of the established male commentators for women (particularly Clive Tyldesley who is one of the most annoying around) - and I'd watch Kirsty Edwards (ex-BBC, now Sky) 24x7....

Feels a bit odd to be reading stuff like this. I thought most people had gotten over their abject fear of women invading their safe space 10 years ago when Jacqui Oatley started commentating on the footy. I agree that the BBC's diversity quotas are absolutely ******* pathetic, but so far as I can see the female football reporters are employed on merit. As for finding "a feminine tone" grating, tough ****, suck it up. I hate scouse accents, but no one listens to me when I demand that Jamie Carragher be removed from television.

3 hours ago, Gaspode said:

Barry Davies once said that the art of good commentary was knowing when to shut up....

I think the issue is not necessarily sexism, but that it tends to be easier to listen to someone with a low-pitched voice - the higher the voice, the quicker it grates - Sky, for example, have a woman that covers some matches for scores and updates (no idea what her name is) who I'm guessing is from Essex - seems to know her football but her voice! (particularly if there is crowd noise when she tends to shout)....

I'd quite happily swap a few of the established male commentators for women (particularly Clive Tyldesley who is one of the most annoying around) - and I'd watch Kirsty Edwards (ex-BBC, now Sky) 24x7....

Think that's bianca Westwood who I thinks an east end gal.

Agree with your points :thumbsup:

If you want low toned gravitas in a woman then there's Theresa. What a post political careerthat would be :lol:

I enjoyed the coverage personally. 

Le Saux isn't a sidekick I've heard much from in the past, but I thought he was OK. I always feel like commentary teams are very one-sided for Sky (often in our favour to be honest), and I didn't get that sense on Friday.

Also enjoyed the discussion of the game from various perspectives. Clearly, Linekar is struggling with a hard come-down from last season and that showed a bit but Shearer and Savage were enjoyable and fair. 

Paul Ince seems a much nicer bloke than I remember now he's a Derby fan. But then I didn't see much of him before, just "heard" things from other people, which is how people generate their opinion of our Tom. 

10 hours ago, Simsy said:

Maybe, but her performances may of helped as I think she is one of the best linesman going! I think she deserves credit for that.

Oh and politically I am probably the opposite to you 'being more right wing,' but that doesn't make me sexist :lol: either way I will keep my distance ;)

The amount of comments I used to hear at games she was officiating, when I'm sure were she male they wouldn't have even raised an eyebrow, was just silly. 

I should clarify though, I've nothing against right-wing politics... some of my best friends are right wing... ;-)

It's the extreme version that's seems so prevalent atm that concerns me. For the record, extreme leftism (i.e. communism) can be equally as bad!

17 hours ago, Howard Canitbé said:

Considering some of the views of far right, I'm happy to be called a libtard/do-gooder/cultural Marxist. Not sure what the last one means though.

Archived