Dogs...What have you got?

Coneheadjohn

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, coneheadjohn said:

They say dogs are like their owners,just wondered who'd got what.

Mine are a 4 and a half year old. GSD dog and a 17 week old Leonberger bitch.

Got to admit to a touch of jealousy there John, fancied one of these for a while now but my wife doesn't want another big dog, I'd like one last one before I get past it.

18 minutes ago, EastHertsRam said:

Got to admit to a touch of jealousy there John, fancied one of these for a while now but my wife doesn't want another big dog, I'd like one last one before I get past it.

Well,We've always rescued GSD'S but decided we were getting older and should really pick what we wanted.

What a fantastic dog she is,no issues easy to train,fantastic nature.

The only problem is she spends 20 minutes everyday posing for pictues when you go for a walk.

48 minutes ago, coneheadjohn said:

Well,We've always rescued GSD'S but decided we were getting older and should really pick what we wanted.

What a fantastic dog she is,no issues easy to train,fantastic nature.

The only problem is she spends 20 minutes everyday posing for pictues when you go for a walk.

What's the difference sizewise between the dog and the bitch John ? We had bullmastiff bitches that weighed in at 9 and 10 stone but the lads can be between a bit heavier than that, 12/13 stone isn't unknown.

I posted this a couple of months ago, David reckoned it wasn't a dog, it was a bear.

_86578929_hagrid1.jpg

3 minutes ago, EastHertsRam said:

What's the difference sizewise between the dog and the bitch John ? We had bullmastiff bitches that weighed in at 9 and 10 stone but the lads can be between a bit heavier than that, 12/13 stone isn't unknown.

I posted this a couple of months ago, David reckoned it wasn't a dog, it was a bear.

_86578929_hagrid1.jpg

Thats a dog.

Our pups dad is 72 kg and the mum is 55kg.

The dad used to put his paws on my shoulders and tower over me and i'm 6'4. So I would say 10-20 kg difference.

We got a bitch as we already have a male.

Worked with rescue dogs for over 15 years. Been bitten many times and cleared dog crap all day. Worked for the dogs trust but I have none. Oddly I'm a cat person.

That said. One day I shall adopt a retired greyhound. Always loved greyhounds. They remind me of myself. Always look really placid and docile, very loyal too but can spring into action in a split second.

Ok, maybe a few minutes is more accurate these days but you get my point. ;)

Cats are the future

I have only had Bullmastiffs and I think I'll stick with them

Clumsy, thick, smelly and messy but also laid back, easy going, quiet and good security. 

I've seen people look at me like I'm a terrible parent when I've been out with 2 little girls and the dog but that's what newspaper horror stories do. Papers don't tell you about all the time these "mastiff type dogs" live with families and are brilliant around kids.

If I'm play fighting with my dog and my 2 year old comes within his sight then he stops. If he can't walk past the kids without touching them then he waits. If he hears them crying or screaming then he's always right there. He's brilliant with kids. I've had to tell my youngest daughter off for telling the dog off because he does what she tells him. 

Never left alone with them but that goes for any dog. 

The only time I've struggled to control them is bath time. When a big dog like that wants to run away and you want to stay dry then it ends in tears for one of us. 

4 hours ago, Alpha said:

I have only had Bullmastiffs and I think I'll stick with them

Clumsy, thick, smelly and messy but also laid back, easy going, quiet and good security. 

I've seen people look at me like I'm a terrible parent when I've been out with 2 little girls and the dog but that's what newspaper horror stories do. Papers don't tell you about all the time these "mastiff type dogs" live with families and are brilliant around kids.

If I'm play fighting with my dog and my 2 year old comes within his sight then he stops. If he can't walk past the kids without touching them then he waits. If he hears them crying or screaming then he's always right there. He's brilliant with kids. I've had to tell my youngest daughter off for telling the dog off because he does what she tells him. 

Never left alone with them but that goes for any dog. 

The only time I've struggled to control them is bath time. When a big dog like that wants to run away and you want to stay dry then it ends in tears for one of us. 

As a staffy owner I can totally sympathise. No dogs are born "bad", only the ones trying to please bad owners end up with problems. You'll hear "staffy-type" dogs a lot more than "mastiff-type" dogs on these news reports. They don't tell you that Staffs are known as "Nanny dogs" due to their care, warmth and affection towards children and their family in general!

Any dog has the capacity to turn nasty. But I'd feel more safe if Daveo's Jack Russell went mental than if a staffy had an aggressive moment. We just see the effect from larger dogs more readily. 

Also dog owners need to remember that dogs are pack animals and owning them in numbers does affect their behaviour. Two dogs is half a pack.

Archived