How do you define a club legend

jono

Of course a title or cup wining player but then what, and do promotions from lower leagues count ? And what about those servants who played with pride and heart over many campaigns but with little reward ? great goal scorers ? And if so how many ... 50 ? Or should it be 100 ? .. .. A special performance in a special  game like Brysons hat trick - is that enough ?  Everyone can't be a legend just for turning up a lot and wining a few games .... What qualifies a player as a legend ? 

For me it's over used .. Legends are special and rare .. It might not always be quantifiable but there is a difference between a great player and a legend 

PS .. "True" legend is an unlovely phrase .. You are a legend or not ( IMO ;) ) 

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I doubt that you could write a snappy dictionary definition of how the phrase is used in this context . 

For me ,  it's an amalgamation of a number of factors . ...

- longevity at a club particularly if serving what are generally recognised as a players best years

- identifiable with success  (be it promotion, cup win, great escape)

- has not only playing attributes but wider ambassadorial qualities a la jake buxton 

- serves the club in a number of roles 

That would be my starter for 10. thinking about derby players that measure up in my lifetime I get 

- kev the king 

- dave mackay

- stimac  (at a stretch).

Lots of other great players - but those are my legends . 

There's club legends that nobody disputes such as Steve Bloomer, The FA Cup Winners of 1946, the Clough and Mackay League winners etc, pretty much recognised by most people associated with the club as legends.

Then the managers themselves such as the two above plus Arthur Cox and the Bald Eagle.

The rest are possibly debatable but nevertheless legendary to the age groups who watched them live.....Bobby Davison is one great example, he was so loved by the fans at the time that many of a certain age would class him as a legend yet its difficult to explain why a journeyman striker from Halifax Town who hardly played at the top level is so highly regarded unless you witnessed it for yourself.

Whole mix of things for me, much though I hate the term because at one level anyone lucky enough to play for Derby has legendary status in my eyes, especially given how crap I was at footie - except Mick Coop.

Overall ability though is not necessarily a factor, nor longevity, and I like defenders, so Peter Daniel, Roy Mac, Toddy, Rob Hindmarch, Igor, McGrath, Ronnie Webster, Dave Mackay, Bucko are all legends; Peter Shilton isn't but Matthews, Green, Boulton and Poomy are.

Archie certainly is, but Willie Carlin not, much though I loved him; Asanovic is but Rioch not;  Hector, Hinton, Davison, Roger Davies and Saunders are; Charlie George - the best footballer I've seen in a white shirt - not.

In short I've no idea how you define it but jeez I've seen some good players

Amongst non players - Sir Brian and Peter, Dave Mackay again, Arthur and Jim - Steve McLaren's getting that way; Lionel, Mel and Sam Longson probably there too, along with Stuart Webb

20 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

There's club legends that nobody disputes such as Steve Bloomer, The FA Cup Winners of 1946, the Clough and Mackay League winners etc, pretty much recognised by most people associated with the club as legends.

Then the managers themselves such as the two above plus Arthur Cox and the Bald Eagle.

The rest are possibly debatable but nevertheless legendary to the age groups who watched them live.....Bobby Davison is one great example, he was so loved by the fans at the time that many of a certain age would class him as a legend yet its difficult to explain why a journeyman striker from Halifax Town who hardly played at the top level is so highly regarded unless you witnessed it for yourself.

You know it and I know it but you can't write it down. 

It's why he still only needs referring to as Bobby.

A Rams icon. A Rams cult hero. A player pivotal in the history and success of Derby County. So for me, a true Rams legend.

8 minutes ago, ilkleyram said:

Whole mix of things for me, much though I hate the term because at one level anyone lucky enough to play for Derby has legendary status in my eyes, especially given how crap I was at footie - except Mick Coop.

Overall ability though is not necessarily a factor, nor longevity, and I like defenders, so Peter Daniel, Roy Mac, Toddy, Rob Hindmarch, Igor, McGrath, Ronnie Webster, Dave Mackay, Bucko are all legends; Peter Shilton isn't but Matthews, Green, Boulton and Poomy are.

Archie certainly is, but Willie Carlin not, much though I loved him; Asanovic is but Rioch not;  Hector, Hinton, Davison, Roger Davies and Saunders are; Charlie George - the best footballer I've seen in a white shirt - not.

In short I've no idea how you define it but jeez I've seen some good players

Amongst non players - Sir Brian and Peter, Dave Mackay again, Arthur and Jim - Steve McLaren's getting that way; Lionel, Mel and Sam Longson probably there too, along with Stuart Webb

Great point in there about Sam, Lionel and Mel.....all Derby/Derbyshire men who put their money into the club they support and love.

Sam's legacy was two League titles.

Lionel returned us to the top flight and left us with a brand new stadium

No pressure Mel.....:ph34r:

8 hours ago, Tim Bucktoo said:

You know it and I know it but you can't write it down. 

It's why he still only needs referring to as Bobby.

A Rams icon. A Rams cult hero. A player pivotal in the history and success of Derby County. So for me, a true Rams legend.

I 100% agree, the first match I went to was in 1978 so I just missed out on the glory years of the early 70s, so in the past forty or so years I have seen many ups and downs.

in the very early 80s the club was a mess, a real mess and very nearly went out of existence, in those days before PlayStation's and the Internet and before we had DVDs or even videos you had one thing that made you happy as a kid ! Football and if you were from these parts your team was Derby, it wasn't a choice it was a birth right, something that just was !

So it didn't matter that your team were languishing in the lower parts of the football league and the great days were now in the past, you still lived and breathed Derby County, you read the greenun from front to back, you listened to Radio Derby on. Saturday afternoon and if you were very lucky your dad would take you to the Baseball Ground to watch a game.

maybe I look back with rose tinted glasses but it wasn't all bad by 1988 we were back in the big time, we had hauled our basket case of a club from the 3rd division back to the first and we were attracting bigger names to play for us, but there was one player in my opinion whose consistency, goals and attitude towards playing football got us there, the only player who from then to now has reached legend status the one and only Bobby Davison, having also had the pleasure of meeting him and spending time with him on three separate occasions I can say what a gent he is and very unassuming and I think totally unaware of what he means to the fans of DCFC.

would love to see him leading the line on Sunday against the red dogs !

IMG_3669.JPG

Thanks everyone, I suppose we all know what we mean and feel.

A particular characteristic for me is the ability of a name to cross the generations. Even though a 27 year old never saw Kevin Hector play they still tell their kids about him. That's legend

and as for Bobby Davidson .. You score 100 goals for club at any level and you most definitely are a legend with a capital L 

I think referring to people such as Jake Buxton as 'club legend', as I read earlier in this thread, is a bit much ... nice bloke, a tryer, gave his all, but 'club legend?' That is wildly, grotesquely inaccurate.

Try the phrase 'cult hero' ... many come under that bracket, including Buxton.

The phrase 'legend' should be reserved for very few. 

29 minutes ago, toddy said:

By definition ....''an extremely famous or notorious person''

Only really leaves one man that hits the meaning of legend.......Brian Clough.

Not sure if your name refers to Colin...

but there used to be graffiti at Roker Park that simply said 'Todd is God'.

Well you can't get much more famous or notorious than that. So I propose Colin Todd as another legend.

9 minutes ago, Tim Bucktoo said:

Not sure if your name refers to Colin...

but there used to be graffiti at Roker Park that simply said 'Todd is God'.

Well you can't get much more famous or notorious than that. So I propose Colin Todd as another legend.

Todd is an absolute stick on for the legends shortlist. No arguments. A man who clearly retains the status at more than one club. That will do for me.

Yes Daz .. I think that's it .. Hero, great player, much loved and lots of other descriptions....  but Legend  is something else .. A bit of star dust. 

I really like the Clough and Taylor Statue and The Dave mackay scultpure. I think we need to do more to celebrate our legends 

I am drifting off topic a bit now but for example We have the little bit of wall from the baseball ground and the bust of Steve Bloomer but I'd like to see more at Pride Park .. Not a museum but things that identify the place and make it distinctive. Man U have the Munich Clock, and The trinity statue, Everton has a wonderful statue of Dixie Dean and the Mathews wizard of the dribble at Stoke is pure Footbal magic .. Can we / should we do something else ?

28 minutes ago, jono said:

Yes Daz .. I think that's it .. Hero, great player, much loved and lots of other descriptions....  but Legend  is something else .. A bit of star dust. 

I really like the Clough and Taylor Statue and The Dave mackay scultpure. I think we need to do more to celebrate our legends 

I am drifting off topic a bit now but for example We have the little bit of wall from the baseball ground and the bust of Steve Bloomer but I'd like to see more at Pride Park .. Not a museum but things that identify the place and make it distinctive. Man U have the Munich Clock, and The trinity statue, Everton has a wonderful statue of Dixie Dean and the Mathews wizard of the dribble at Stoke is pure Footbal magic .. Can we / should we do something else ?

We do have the Ossie End clock as well. And the permanent memorial to those that died in the wars.

I don't think we do too badly in comparison to other clubs and if you do the stadium tour the inside of the ground has loads of old photos and trophies.

7 minutes ago, ilkleyram said:

We do have the Ossie End clock as well. And the permanent memorial to those that died in the wars.

I don't think we do too badly in comparison to other clubs and if you do the stadium tour the inside of the ground has loads of old photos and trophies.

Thanks @ilkleyram I see myself as a Johnny come lately in real fan terms ..even though I have been watching on and off for 20 years. I must do the tour. 

My definition of a legend is someone who has longevity at a club and you just know playing for that club and living and breathing the club is of primary importance.

Alan Shearer at Newcastle. Not because of his goals but because he gave his all year on year and playing and scoring meant everything to him.

Ian Rush. Matt Le Tissier.

A player could score 60 goals in 2 seasons and win trophies but then move on to another club and do the same for a couple of seasons. They aren't legends. They are serving themselves rather than the club.

We talk about loyalty in football and players back in the day had that. Nowadays it doesn't really exist anymore bar a few exceptions.

It's all about chasing the money for a large percentage of players and the prestige of playing for as bigger club as you can.

That's what I don't get about footballers. They claim to be a boyhood fan of say Yeovil but then won't play for them towards the twighlight of their careers even when they've already made enough money.

I just hate badge kissers. Every one of them today is a hypocrite. Empty gestures and all that.

1 hour ago, jono said:

Couldn't agree more Jono ... we don't celebrate our rich history enough. 

I lived in North London for the best part of a decade, a stones throw from the Emirates. The aesthetic around that stadium is something to behold, it really is.

Graphics panels surrounding the ground celebrating everyone from Herbert Chapman to Ian Wright, (also indeed, our very own Charlie George) ... and statues aplenty of the likes of Adams, Henry, George Graham etc. etc. It is beautiful, literally dripping with the folklore of 'the Arsenal'. Perhaps, as a Graphic Designer myself, I appreciate it a deal more, I don't know.

Anyway, the point being, as much as Arsenal fans got on my wick whilst I was a resident there, and as much as Wenger does my head in, their younger fans are in no doubt about who their legends are, and what an iconic club Arsenal has been over the years. 

We are of a very select band to be crowned the Champions of England, and our club has been graced by true icons of the game. Indeed, when we won the FA Cup, it was a truly fabulous honour ... arguably the greatest and most iconic in the game during that era. 

I'm not saying, that we should live in the past, like our near neighbours, however, the club should celebrate the facts more.

Archived