Will Hughes or Mesut Ozil?

Ellafella

50 minutes ago, Ninos said:

Agreed. Put iniesta on derby and he will do no better than Hughes. Put Hughes on Barca and I'd argue he'd do as well as iniesta.

There is no need for this level of hyperbole.  For me Hughes is probably the finest player in the championship, undoubted Premiership quality, and should have a lengthy international career ahead of him if he keeps working at it the way he is.  But to say that he is currently at the same level as Iniesta (arguably the most skillful midfielder the world has seen in a generation) is to let bias get the better of you. 

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 11/11/2016 at 18:21, jagerbob said:

Ozil and Inieta like a good dribble at defenders, Hughes doesnt.

End of comparison.

We all know to be a top, top player Will needs to score more goals, but Jager's right he doesn't dribble enough. Yet he has the ability. He is happy to carry the ball in the middle of the opposition half but no longer drives at defenders around and inside the box in the way that terrifies them. I remember when he had that amazing early match against Dirty Leeds when he ran the show it included an amazing Maradona style dribble through their defenders into the box followed by a blistering right-foot shot that was somehow saved to prevent the obvious goal of the season. He should know he needs to do this more. The coaches should be telling him.

On another note, hoping he plays for the U21s tonight that will be his 15th cap which is an extraordinary number. What a star, but it is time to step up yet again to an even higher level and realize his potential by totally dominating Championship midfields, leading to the first of many full caps.

6 hours ago, cannable said:

Anybody else not arsed about him scoring? Let the runners do the scoring, let the footballers pull the strings and create.

I with you @cannable. If he starts banging in them in, great :lol: but it doesn't it isn't some necessary quality of a top midfielder hence why I brought up Iniesta a few pages back.

6 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

We all know to be a top, top player Will needs to score more goals, but Jager's right he doesn't dribble enough. Yet he has the ability. He is happy to carry the ball in the middle of the opposition half but no longer drives at defenders around and inside the box in the way that terrifies them. I remember when he had that amazing early match against Dirty Leeds when he ran the show it included an amazing Maradona style dribble through their defenders into the box followed by a blistering right-foot shot that was somehow saved to prevent the obvious goal of the season. He should know he needs to do this more. The coaches should be telling him.

On another note, hoping he plays for the U21s tonight that will be his 15th cap which is an extraordinary number. What a star, but it is time to step up yet again to an even higher level and realize his potential by totally dominating Championship midfields, leading to the first of many full caps.

Ehh does he really need to run at players all the time when he can open them up with a pass or a quick one two ? 

Maybe he could take players on more and maybe they are working on it training, he's definitely (as you pointed out) more than capable of it.

I think people frequently (not saying you here @Carl Sagan :)) overlook a couple of things with Hughes; he's still only 21 and has plenty of time to develop, spent nearly all of last season out injured and has been played all around the midfield (there have been numerous 'experiments' with him at DM) so has hadn't chance to really settle into a position yet. But in spite of all that is still the best player at the club. 

Archived