Paul Simpson & Eric Steele

RamsPolls

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, loweman2 said:

I have contact with him, and yes im sure he would jump at the chance but he certainly hasn't been asked, I suppose that chris powell has a contract in place and mel doesn't want to paying off another one, maclaren and powell have a past so lets hope that they got on well back then.

He's been to a couple of matches this season. Burton away plus one at home in the directors box. Not sure he was a dynamic coach but i still quite like him. 

I wouldn't be surprised to see Chris Powell leave to take up a manager's job at a League 1 club fairly shortly. He said when he joined us that he still had managerial ambitions. By bringing in McClaren, Mel has effectively told Powell that he'll never manage Derby County. He signed up to work with Pearson, not McClaren (although there could be a decent relationship there from the Jim Smith days) so everything has now changed for Powell. I'd be surprised if he didn't now apply for any decent League 1 job which came available - and he'd surely be on most shortlists at least.

If Powell does leave, then Simmo looks like the obvious candidate - if Mel hasn't sacked McClaren by then - which he probably will have.

19 minutes ago, CornwallRam said:

I wouldn't be surprised to see Chris Powell leave to take up a manager's job at a League 1 club fairly shortly. He said when he joined us that he still had managerial ambitions. By bringing in McClaren, Mel has effectively told Powell that he'll never manage Derby County. He signed up to work with Pearson, not McClaren (although there could be a decent relationship there from the Jim Smith days) so everything has now changed for Powell. I'd be surprised if he didn't now apply for any decent League 1 job which came available - and he'd surely be on most shortlists at least.

If Powell does leave, then Simmo looks like the obvious candidate - if Mel hasn't sacked McClaren by then - which he probably will have.

not sure there's any substance or evidence anything here is accurate. It's just as likely that McClaren might move upstairs once he has his degree, and Powell steps in.

4 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

not sure there's any substance or evidence anything here is accurate. It's just as likely that McClaren might move upstairs once he has his degree, and Powell steps in.

So why is Powell not stepping in now? What will have changed in a couple of years? Why should Chris Powell, a man with a good promotion from League 1 and a few years of Championship experience wait around?

Granted, he has affection for Derby and may well get on well with McClaren, but will that be enough to stop him taking a job at somewhere like Peterborough or Coventry? Personally, I'd doubt it.

...and what's not accurate?

1 minute ago, CornwallRam said:

So why is Powell not stepping in now? What will have changed in a couple of years? Why should Chris Powell, a man with a good promotion from League 1 and a few years of Championship experience wait around?

Granted, he has affection for Derby and may well get on well with McClaren, but will that be enough to stop him taking a job at somewhere like Peterborough or Coventry? Personally, I'd doubt it.

Maybe Powell doesn't want it?

7 minutes ago, CornwallRam said:

for the same reasons he came here in the first place to be assistant and DIDN'T apply for a league one job!

2 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

for the same reasons he came here in the first place to be assistant and DIDN'T apply for a league one job!

That's a very positive 'DIDN'T'.

I have to say Mostyn that I'm a little bit jealous that you know Chrissie so well that he keeps you informed of all his job applications.

5 minutes ago, CornwallRam said:

That's a very positive 'DIDN'T'.

I have to say Mostyn that I'm a little bit jealous that you know Chrissie so well that he keeps you informed of all his job applications.

you should know me by now Corny. I think your original comment had no basis, so offered up another option/opinion.

Archived