Macca in the local...

minesahartington

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, RamsPolls said:

How come? I'm not digging at you or anything haha. 

Just curious.

The transfer window is closed.  Proper loans count as temporary transfers, so are bound by all the same transfer rules.  The old emergency loans don't exist any more (other than genuine emergencies, almost always for goalkeepers).

22 hours ago, FindernRam said:

Please let this be rumour and not fact.

Teams had got us really figured out after the "golden period" and we should not forget it! We had no plan B and plan A was obsolete.

They say never go back and generally that is right.

This is such a myth. We weren't as good in his second season for sure but plan A was 100% good enough to get us promoted. What we lacked as enough cover for the worst injury scenario 4 CDMs and 3 Strikers out all at once. Most clubs would struggle even if their plan b was up to scratch.

I actually also think that we held back on the attaching principles within plan A which made it look like we were struggling to break teams down, when actually we were playing a more conservative style.

As you say we weren't as good in the second year by a long way. The football was often dull and we scraped wins and performances were dropping off even before the Newcastle thing.. The injuries certainly hurt but that is why we needed plan B because the replacement players weren't good enough.

We will see over the next few weeks won't we whether he sticks with the old way and if it works.

Don't misread me here I do NOT want Mac or the team to fail just to make a point.

20 hours ago, FindernRam said:

Yes we won but not in commanding style. We scraped a few lucky goals and it made us look better than we really were. Then the wheels came off!

Anyway he is back. I hope he does well for all our sakes!

COYR

You what? We scored 100 goals in his full season. We won by more than one goal 18 times.

3 hours ago, RodleyRam said:

This is such a myth. We weren't as good in his second season for sure but plan A was 100% good enough to get us promoted. What we lacked as enough cover for the worst injury scenario 4 CDMs and 3 Strikers out all at once. Most clubs would struggle even if their plan b was up to scratch.

I actually also think that we held back on the attaching principles within plan A which made it look like we were struggling to break teams down, when actually we were playing a more conservative style.

I wouldn't even say we weren't as good! I'd say we were better but as you say the emphasis had sifted to controlling rather than attacking. 

On ‎12‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 13:51, therealhantsram said:

Kudos to the original poster @minesahartington. Looks like you were bang on.

Steve McClaren won just six of 28 Premier League games in charge of Newcastle

Steve McClaren is expected to be appointed as Derby County head coach on Wednesday just 17 months after he was sacked, BBC Radio Derby reports.

Nigel Pearson left his role as boss by mutual consent on Saturday after less than five months, and McClaren, 55, has been in talks with the Rams.

Chris Powell, who has been in temporary charge, is expected to return to his role as assistant manager.

Ex-England boss McClaren left Derby in acrimonious circumstances in May 2015. 

Following constant speculation linking him with the job at Newcastle, McClaren subsequently joined the Magpies but was sacked in March 2016.

Pearson, who replaced Paul Clement as boss, was originally suspended by the Championship side pending a club investigation into his "behaviour" following a heated exchange with owner Mel Morris.

McClaren won just six of 28 Premier League games in charge of Newcastle, who were just one place off the foot of the table when he departed and they were eventually relegated.

He only spent two seasons with the Rams, leading them to Championship play-off final defeat by QPR in 2013-2014.

Derby lost 3-0 at home to Reading on the final day of the following season, meaning they missed out on the play-offs after ending February top of the table, and McClaren was sacked in the same month.

BBC Radio 5 live's Pat Murphy said: "McClaren was interviewed last night just hours after Morris spoke warmly to a business leaders' conference about the head coach he sacked almost 18 months ago after the club's season had imploded.

"McClaren is recognised as one of England's outstanding coaches and Powell - who played for him at Derby in the 1990s when McClaren was first-team coach - is happy to work under him.

"It will be McClaren's fourth spell at Derby. His contract will run to summer 2018 and he's expected to be in the dug-out for the Leeds match this Saturday. The rest of the coaching staff will be kept on."

As well as coaching England from 2006-07, McClaren was previously manager at Middlesbrough, FC Twente, Wolfsburg and Nottingham Forest.

McClaren U-turn a 'shock'

Analysis: BBC Radio Derby's Owen Bradley

"Shocked is an understatement considering the nature of Steve McClaren's departure.

"Though he was ultimately sacked, McClaren damaged lots of relationships at the club by never bringing to an end the links with Newcastle. In the eyes of some, that derailed Derby's promotion campaign.

"Mel Morris is a big fan of McClaren's quality as a coach, but was part of the group that sacked him. If that relationship has been repaired then it will happen."

Thanks for that. I may not have a camera but my eyesight`s still pretty good.

1 hour ago, cannable said:

You what? We scored 100 goals in his full season. We won by more than one goal 18 times.

4 hours ago, RodleyRam said:

You know this won't stop somebody saying "we were figured out" over and over again while completely ignoring any debate?

I'm happy to debate but its difficult when most of the arguments are subjective. I loved our first season with Mac  in charge but the second season was nowhere near as exciting and we certainly (in my view) struggled to breakdown the opposition who stacked up 2 banks of 4 in all our home games and several aways. So the games were almost tedious, certainly frustrating to watch and worst of all they were exactly the same. Play across the back 4 a few times edge forward eventually, maybe put in a bad cross, lose the ball and start over. It was the lack of variety that did it for me.

Archived