Jeff Astle

Alan Mullery

Jimmy Armfield

Bobby Robson

Franny Lee

John Toshack

Allan Clarke

Jimmy Greaves

Although I'm not THAT old I think there's 4 from the 1962 world cup squad in that list.

Which 4 tho..

Greaves

Charlton 

Armfield 

Robson?

• Replies 893
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 29/09/2016 at 09:52, Mostyn6 said:

pretty sure I remember Kilcline being sent off.

Went off injured I think, I remember him lifting the cup without playijng extra time. I also seem to remember there was no sending off in the cup final for years after Moran was the first.

8 hours ago, richinspain said:

I'm sure Goddard signed in the first division, O'hare to Saunders' Hector I believe King Arthur said.

As did Hebbard. Think Sage was signed for the 2nd division promotion year but not the 3rd division promotion year.

We had Blades and Charlie Palmer playing right back in that year.

31 minutes ago, CWC1983 said:

I'm thinking Swansea, FA cup final goals, WC 1970 but can't get 4 to fit. 

You might be onto something with the 1970 WC, it's led me to think about missed penalties, I'm sure Jeff Astle missed one against Brazil....but he might not have done :lol:

21 minutes ago, CWC1983 said:

Time for me to retire for the evening. Being a proud Scotsman, all this talk of England 66 and 70 is giving me a guilty conscious......

I only thought World cups started in 1974 and ended in 1990......

Being a proud scot as you are,  you must have revelled in the 74 world cup.

It absolutely p***ed down for 3 weeks!

Nice of the w Germans to make you feel at home.....:lol:

29 minutes ago, EastHertsRam said:

Bolleau, I thought he missed a pen (during the game, not a shoot out situation) sorry lads. 

No worries EHR. 

I was only 6 at the time so memories are a bit sketchy and tend to revolve around the quality of the press out model I was bought to keep me quiet. 

I remember that one because it was one of those classic England "backs to the wall " type of performance.  We hung on, clung on,  went one down eventually  (jairzinho). Then created just the one chance. A good one no doubt,  but it was just the one - and poor old Astle rolled it past felix but agonisingly past the post.

Ah- memories :whistle:

8 hours ago, HantsRam said:

No worries EHR. 

I was only 6 at the time so memories are a bit sketchy and tend to revolve around the quality of the press out model I was bought to keep me quiet. 

I remember that one because it was one of those classic England "backs to the wall " type of performance.  We hung on, clung on,  went one down eventually  (jairzinho). Then created just the one chance. A good one no doubt,  but it was just the one - and poor old Astle rolled it past felix but agonisingly past the post.

Ah- memories :whistle:

Bloody Brazil, same thing happened in 74 when Bremner missed from 2 yards out and a 1 0 victory would of taken us through. 

11 hours ago, CWC1983 said:

Spurs?

Jennings Peters Mullery Greaves

Yes.  Well done!

11 hours ago, HantsRam said:

Although I'm not THAT old I think there's 4 from the 1962 world cup squad in that list.

Which 4 tho..

Greaves

Charlton 

Armfield 

Robson?

No but I have impressed myself if I have inadvertently set up that trick!

11 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

Charlton, England, Toshack and Robson (Eire, Wales, Wales, England) - International managers?

Yes.  Fantastic effort.

11 hours ago, CWC1983 said:

Banks Wilson Charlton Stiles 

WC 66 team, but too obvious. 

Correct group but one of those is wrong. (By wrong I mean he was in the 1966 WC but he is needed for another group.

10 hours ago, CWC1983 said:

England, Clarke Charlton Armfield

Topical Leeds? 

No talk of dirty Leeds in my quiz please.

I'm thinking Swansea, FA cup final goals, WC 1970 but can't get 4 to fit. 

One of those is a correct group.

10 hours ago, EastHertsRam said:

I'm thinking Fulham, Born in Derbyshire and managers.

No.

10 hours ago, reveldevil said:

I'm thinking @Bridgford Ram had a night out planned, and didn't want to be disturbed by right answers!

I'm 41, not had a drink for 18 months and am getting over whooping cough.  It was an early night not a night out!

10 hours ago, richinspain said:

I'm thinking unused players in the 66 final. Greaves, Mullery and Astle possibly. Then I'm totally stuck

1966 is covered above.

10 hours ago, EastHertsRam said:

You might be onto something with the 1970 WC, it's led me to think about missed penalties, I'm sure Jeff Astle missed one against Brazil....but he might not have done :lol:

1970 is a category in some form,

He missed a sitter at 2 nil up v Germany in the quarter final I think, or maybe it was the Brazil game. Anyway, him and Bonetti were blamed for getting knocked out.

Lee, Peters, Mullery, Astle all played at Mexico 70. 

2 of those are correct for the 1970 group - the other two are needed elsewhere.

Archived