Time for reflection

Curtains

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

Well it's not been like that for the last 18 months has it and look where it's got us?

I wasn't talking about us and I was talking about two lines from Curtains in this thread that's all. 

19 minutes ago, Derby_EnglandLoyal said:

Is that it ? ?

I went to watch the U23s the other night at George's Park. 

The club is still in good hands with our Mel and Sam 

The way forward is now vital for all of us who love DCFC 

I'm just saying and football is not an exact science but we need to reflect all of us on the last few years and plot a way forward. 

No recriminations are needed. 

Ok no hasty decisions but at the same time there is a need to move quickly. I don't want to see another Wassall type situation, end of the season to prove himself, the need for stability is stronger than ever. Plenty of legs left in this season to finish top 6 and with January only 3 months away the new man needs time to assess and identify areas we need to strengthen. 

Personally I'd like to see it done by the end of the international break in place for Leeds. Is that being hasty?....I'm just thinking it's done by time Big Sam gets back from holiday and starts looking for work, the thought of him in our dugout scares the life out of me. Timing couldn't be any worse! 

Just now, David said:

Ok no hasty decisions but at the same time there is a need to move quickly. I don't want to see another Wassall type situation, end of the season to prove himself, the need for stability is stronger than ever. Plenty of legs left in this season to finish top 6 and with January only 3 months away the new man needs time to assess and identify areas we need to strengthen. 

Personally I'd like to see it done by the end of the international break in place for Leeds. Is that being hasty?....I'm just thinking it's done by time Big Sam gets back from holiday and starts looking for work, the thought of him in our dugout scares the life out of me. Timing couldn't be any worse! 

Trouble is mate most managers we might want are tied into jobs now like Gary Rowett and you can't poach them .

What about a Powell and Wassall management team for the rest of the season  

40 minutes ago, curtains said:

Trouble is mate most managers we might want are tied into jobs now like Gary Rowett and you can't poach them .

I get the impression that Chris Powell is very popular with most people associated with DCFC. For that reason, it may be better if he sticks around looking after the team for a few games, then gets himself out of the firing line. Wouldn't want his standing with the club to be tainted by a very unpredictable chairman and small but increasingly vociferous section of impatient supporters.

50 minutes ago, David said:

Top 6 is gone. It's ok to be ambitious, but any new manager is on a hiding to nothing if the fans expect that kind of turn around. I know people will say that we're only 8 points off a play off place, but it's 8 points and 13 teams. It normally takes around 75 points to make the play offs and our slow start has pushed our required run rate up to 1.83 points per game. Achieving that, in a very competitive league, with morale in the toilet, and a worrying lack of striking options, is unfortunately beyond us.

8 minutes ago, Anon said:

Top 6 is gone. It's ok to be ambitious, but any new manager is on a hiding to nothing if the fans expect that kind of turn around. I know people will say that we're only 8 points off a play off place, but it's 8 points and 13 teams. It normally takes around 75 points to make the play offs and our slow start has pushed our required run rate up to 1.83 points per game. Achieving that, in a very competitive league, with morale in the toilet, and a worrying lack of striking options, is unfortunately beyond us.

Good job you're not a professional football manager then, this season has plenty of life left in it, if we can go on a good run, the table at Christmas will be completely different!

7 minutes ago, Iacomus said:

Good job you're not a professional football manager then, this season has plenty of life left in it, if we can go on a good run, the table at Christmas will be completely different!

Obviously I would try to win every game if were a manager. What I'm discussing here is fan expectations. I am not saying it can't be done, but I am providing evidence as to why it is (in my opinion) highly unlikely. I just don't want to see another manager hounded out by irate fans if we fail to make the play offs, despite playing better football for the remainder of the season.

11 minutes ago, Anon said:

The season McClaren swooped in to save us we were 7pts off the top 6 after the first 10 games of the season, we ended up 14pts ahead of 7th place.

That's why people will say we're only 8 points off the top 6 because 8 points is nothing in this league. 

1 hour ago, curtains said:

i said similar in post last night, its not right to poach managers from other clubs we didnt like it with sm.  wassall took a lot of flack even though he finished us of very well under the circumstances. he would look like a yoyo now and a mels yes man and to be honest powell has had more experiance and both are derby through and through. lets face it there isnt any decent ones being branded about for us now also powell knows our players and ways they play best

37 minutes ago, David said:

The season McClaren swooped in to save us we were 7pts off the top 6 after the first 10 games of the season, we ended up 14pts ahead of 7th place.

That's why people will say we're only 8 points off the top 6 because 8 points is nothing in this league. 

Two points.

Clough had left that team in fine fettle. It was talented, well disciplined, and absolutely ready to be taken to the next level. I can't say the same for our squad as it is now.

The teams performance under McClaren that season was exceptional. Yes, it proves it is possible, but it should not be considered to be the norm.

Archived