Time for reflection

Curtains

1 minute ago, Anon said:

Two points.

Clough had left that team in fine fettle. It was talented, well disciplined, and absolutely ready to be taken to the next level. I can't say the same for our squad as it is now.

The teams performance under McClaren that season was exceptional. Yes, it proves it is possible, but it should not be considered to be the norm.

Brighton were only a point off better than us and also finished top 6 without Clough preparing the table, doesn't happen every season but it's more norm than rare. 

I'm not placing a minimum top 6 target on the new man, most expectations have gone out the window now but I don't see why we should believe it's completely out the question, whilst it's possible you have to believe......I'll stop there before I burst into a bit of R Kelly.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, David said:

Brighton were only a point off better than us and also finished top 6 without Clough preparing the table, doesn't happen every season but it's more norm than rare. 

I'm not placing a minimum top 6 target on the new man, most expectations have gone out the window now but I don't see why we should believe it's completely out the question, whilst it's possible you have to believe......I'll stop there before I burst into a bit of R Kelly.

The new man shouldn't have any expectations other than to stop us been relegated lol.

If we fly up the table then that's a bonus, But the new manager should come in and get a consistent team going with good football that the fans can all get behind. 

1 hour ago, Anon said:

Top 6 is gone. It's ok to be ambitious, but any new manager is on a hiding to nothing if the fans expect that kind of turn around. I know people will say that we're only 8 points off a play off place, but it's 8 points and 13 teams. It normally takes around 75 points to make the play offs and our slow start has pushed our required run rate up to 1.83 points per game. Achieving that, in a very competitive league, with morale in the toilet, and a worrying lack of striking options, is unfortunately beyond us.

I stopped reading at 'top 6 is gone.'

Plonker.

Jesus christ.. We're Derby County we're used to starting ****. Take a breath and Breathe.... We'll soon start picking up results we're going through transition at the moment hopefully still with Pearson.

It'll all work out in the end. Remember Palace!? I'm sure they was just above the relegation zone near Christmas and still got promoted!

2 minutes ago, Ashz09 said:

Jesus christ.. We're Derby County we're used to starting ****. Take a breath and Breathe.... We'll soon start picking up results we're going through transition at the moment hopefully still with Pearson.

It'll all work out in the end. Remember Palace!? I'm sure they was just above the relegation zone near Christmas and still got promoted!

Come on man, Pearson won't be returning as manager and we all know it. 

Best thing we can do is get a manager who the fans can all get behind and start playing good football.

31 minutes ago, JoeDerby said:

I stopped reading at 'top 6 is gone.'

Plonker.

That's very clever of you considering the entire argument was made after that statement. In future I'll be sure to spoonfeed my argument in before making any absolute statement that may trigger retards like yourself, safe in the knowledge that you will inevitably lose interest when faced with the near impossible task of reading more than two sentences.

1 hour ago, lee_derby said:

i said similar in post last night, its not right to poach managers from other clubs we didnt like it with sm.  wassall took a lot of flack even though he finished us of very well under the circumstances. he would look like a yoyo now and a mels yes man and to be honest powell has had more experiance and both are derby through and through. lets face it there isnt any decent ones being branded about for us now also powell knows our players and ways they play best

I'd go with Powell and Wassall for the rest of the season. 

Eddie would be happy  I suspect .

1 hour ago, lee_derby said:

i said similar in post last night, its not right to poach managers from other clubs we didnt like it with sm.  wassall took a lot of flack even though he finished us of very well under the circumstances. he would look like a yoyo now and a mels yes man and to be honest powell has had more experiance and both are derby through and through. lets face it there isnt any decent ones being branded about for us now also powell knows our players and ways they play best

Whether its right or not, Poaching managers from other clubs is part of the modern game and if you can lure a good manager away from a club then why not. It doesn't affect the club negatively in anyway. I presume you're talking about Wagner references when talking about this. 

Like I've said, If Wagner wants to come here then so be it, but we need him to fully commit to the cause of this club and make sure we don't have another Stevie Mac situation again.

14 minutes ago, RamsPolls said:

Whether its right or not, Poaching managers from other clubs is part of the modern game and if you can lure a good manager away from a club then why not. It doesn't affect the club negatively in anyway. I presume you're talking about Wagner references when talking about this. 

Like I've said, If Wagner wants to come here then so be it, but we need him to fully commit to the cause of this club and make sure we don't have another Stevie Mac situation again.

We don't want any more disruption as the players can't handle it. 

Stick with who they know and trust for now and that's Powell and Wassall. 

1 hour ago, David said:

Whilst you are correct it's still possible to finish in the top 6. I have to agree with @Anon and have made similar posts in other threads.

To finish in the top 6 now would take an absolutely fantastic run of form which given how the squad's confidence is still likely fragile and our tumultuous start to the season, would be a big ask. Bear in mind we still have to play all of the current top 6 home and away bar Brighton, who we still have to play away, plus we still have to play both Newcastle and Villa away. For me I'd consider a top 10 finish playing decent football with a clear plan, a good season given our start. I just worry similar to @Anon that if we don't finish in the top 6 this season that certain fans will call whoever is in charge a failure and call for a new man to come in, like people did with Wassell.

However if things go our way we do have the talent and potential in the squad to pull it off. It's possible that Thorne comes back on fire and starts to dictating how the game is going to be played. It's possible that Hughes kicks onto another level and takes the league by storm. It's possible that those two plus Butterfield essentially keep the ball so well, that opponents can't touch when we have possesion. It's possible that this is the season that Ince adds a bit of consistency to his game and becomes a real player to be feared. If that all that happens not only might we finish in the top 6, we'd probably go up as well.

In summary, we as fans can dream of top 6 but it'd be extremely unfair to expect it or be mad if it doesn't happen as the odds are firmly against it.  

5 minutes ago, curtains said:

Yes and then we don't need to consider anything beyond choking in the play offs....

6 minutes ago, curtains said:

I agree. Provided one of Powell or Wassell improves performances we should wait and reassess next summer.

7 minutes ago, curtains said:

But if they trust Powell why can't they trust NP? 

If they can't trust NP then there is something wrong with this group of players. 

Wassall would be a stupid appointment, He wouldn't last in this job beyond new year.

6 minutes ago, europia said:

Yes and then we don't need to consider anything beyond choking in the play offs....

Powell had nothing to do with the playoffs and he did well at Huddersfield and Charlton considering their budgets .

Wassall I'm told got Derby to play well against Hull in the 2nd leg of the playoffs  

3 minutes ago, RamsPolls said:

But if they trust Powell why can't they trust NP? 

If they can't trust NP then there is something wrong with this group of players. 

Wassall would be a stupid appointment, He wouldn't last in this job beyond new year.

Honestly who knows ?

Perhaps they just resonate better with Powell's approach. There are countless examples of underperforming teams just clicking with a new manager. It doesn't, in isolation, mean there is something wrong with the group.

Why do you think Wassell wouldn't last beyond the new year ? He might not be the perfect appointment but he did ok last year in difficult circumstances.

2 minutes ago, curtains said:

Powell had nothing to do with the playoffs and he did well at Huddersfield and Charlton considering their budgets .

Wassall I'm told got Derby to play well against Hull in the 2nd leg of the playoffs  

You can't possible want Wassall back in charge after the first leg display? 

Archived