Time for reflection

Curtains

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, brady1993 said:

Honestly who knows ?

Perhaps they just resonate better with Powell's approach. There are countless examples of underperforming teams just clicking with a new manager. It doesn't, in isolation, mean there is something wrong with the group.

Why do you think Wassell wouldn't last beyond the new year ? He might not be the perfect appointment but he did ok last year in difficult circumstances.

I don't understand this "he did ok" & "difficult circumstances" 

When did we become a club where "ok" is acceptable?

We were 5th in the table when he took over, yes we didn't finish below 5th but we had horrendous form and the playing style was garbage. 

There was no "difficult circumstances". He was given a job to do, and he just did "ok". If he had got us to wembley, I would probably agree with you and say to give it him again. But all he did was mill around the bottom of the play offs and embarrassed us in the 1st leg. No matter what the performance was in the 2nd leg, to be honest I feel that, that performance was just a reaction from the players to show they could perform. 

1 hour ago, Anon said:

Two points.

Clough had left that team in fine fettle. It was talented, well disciplined, and absolutely ready to be taken to the next level. I can't say the same for our squad as it is now.

The teams performance under McClaren that season was exceptional. Yes, it proves it is possible, but it should not be considered to be the norm.

Didn't Roy Keane take Sunderland from bottom to top in roughly the same time scale?

Didn't Igor's debut in '95 leave us around 20th only to go on a 20 game unbeaten run and finish 2nd?

I don't think everyone's saying it's likely but it's certainly possible...

3 minutes ago, RamsPolls said:

You can't possible want Wassall back in charge after the first leg display? 

Don't you think judging a rookie manger's brief tenure on one bad game is a tad harsh? Sure he got it tactically wrong that day, but he managed to pick the side up and change tactics for the return fixture which was one of the best games of the season. 

Do you think Man Utd should sack Mourinho because they were well beat by City the other week?

4 minutes ago, RamsPolls said:

We were 5th in the table when he took over, yes we didn't finish below 5th but we had horrendous form and the playing style was garbage. 

There was no "difficult circumstances". He was given a job to do, and he just did "ok". If he had got us to wembley, I would probably agree with you and say to give it him again. But all he did was mill around the bottom of the play offs and embarrassed us in the 1st leg. No matter what the performance was in the 2nd leg, to be honest I feel that, that performance was just a reaction from the players to show they could perform. 

Our form before he came in was LDLLDD, the trajectory we were on was going to take us out of the playoffs. The side was low on confidence and it was difficult to see how we were going to win. His remit was to return us to playing how we did under Mac, and instill confidence in the players again. This was to give the club time to reflect and give whoever took over in the summer time to reflect. From how I look at it he met these objectives.

Your comments regarding form and playing style are categorically incorrect. Our form under Wassell's tenure was that of a top 6 team albeit an inconsistent one. And most would agree that playing style was greatly improved. Just go back and watch Hull at home in the league again and that wasn't one game in isolation. 

I wasn't advocating for him to come in the summer, there were better candidates available but  we didn't hire one and crucially those candidates would not join us right now. Right now he is one of the better candidates available given that he has an established rapport with the squad.

1 hour ago, Anon said:

That's very clever of you considering the entire argument was made after that statement. In future I'll be sure to spoonfeed my argument in before making any absolute statement that may trigger retards like yourself, safe in the knowledge that you will inevitably lose interest when faced with the near impossible task of reading more than two sentences.

Ha ha, please don't cry sir.

Just don't make silly statements in the first place. The top 6 is definitely not gone like you said. Infact, it's most certainly achievable. Considering the calibre of players we have, I'd be more shocked (with the correct man in charge) that we are out of the playoffs, if I'm completely honest.

34 minutes ago, RamsPolls said:

He had a 50% win rate and the play-style was decent, the 4-0 against Hull was the best Derby performance since the good days of Mac. 

29 minutes ago, JoeDerby said:

Ha ha, please don't cry sir.

Just don't make silly statements in the first place. The top 6 is definitely not gone like you said. Infact, it's most certainly achievable. Considering the calibre of players we have, I'd be more shocked (with the correct man in charge) that we are out of the playoffs, if I'm completely honest.

Mate he's not 'crying' about anything. 

You just disregarded his entire argument based on it's premise and provided zero counter argument to refute what he said. 

4 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

Mate he's not 'crying' about anything. 

You just disregarded his entire argument based on it's premise and provided zero counter argument to refute what he said. 

I have just provided my 'counter argument', mate.

The reason for disregarding his argument was because I believe it's nonsense. 

To say Derby County's season is over after 10 games is completely idiotic, are you another that believes Derby cant reach the play offs?

mate.

3 minutes ago, JoeDerby said:

I have just provided my 'counter argument', mate.

The reason for disregarding his argument was because I believe it's nonsense. 

To say Derby County's season is over after 10 games is completely idiotic, are you another that believes Derby cant reach the play offs?

mate.

You have one throwaway line in your second post. That's hardly a comprehensive explanation to refute the point @Anonwas trying to make. You shouldn't just say something is stupid or nonsense without explaining your position because it doesn't further the debate.

I explained my position earlier in thread. To summarise; whilst it would be possible to finish in the top 6, particularly given the ability in the squad, it would take an extremely good run of form to accumulate the necessary points. Given our tumultuous start to the season, that confidence is low and that we have plenty of difficult fixtures remaining, I think the top 6 is unlikely and shouldn't be expected from whoever takes over. A top 10 finish would constitute a good recovery from our start in my view.

I wouldn't have thought the club are making any decisions on the next manager just yet, I would assume the Pearson situation involved before any movement on that front. In the mean time I can't think of many better people to take over and try to steady the ship and restore the teams confidence than Chris Powell, he's got great passion for the club and will be desperate to do the club proud, and seems like someone who will get along well with the players. Whether he's permanent manager material is debatable, his record at this level is ok for what he was working with but nothing special. Equally though working with better players could bring out the best in him and he'll be a real success, it's difficult to tell really. Obviously he will be in charge on Saturday and should that go well, I suspect an interim role until Christmas could be on the cards while we decide on a new manager, which could of course still be him IF he is successful. However we mustn't take too long over a decision, if things start going wrong we should appoint a manager as quickly as possible and I should hope that interviews will start taking place next week, possibly involving one for Powell. It's gonna be an interesting few weeks for sure

Archived