Atwell tomorrow vs. Ipswich

Srg

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Carl Sagan said:

Atwell's performance that day was unforgivable. Genuinely, not to allow two perfectly good goals in injury time against local rivals to win the game could have started a riot. It was dangerous refereeing. Given we can't get near the opposition at the moment we need the guy to make it up to us by awarding a couple of his famous phantom goals. If you're reading this, Stuart, you know what to do.

On the wider issue of refereeing, 4 out of the 9 Premier League matches this weekend had their results altererd by terrible refereeing decisions. Half the matches! And this in a billion pound industry where these decisions have huge consequences on people's careers and lives. How can this be allowed to go on?

Try controlling a football match where 22 players are trying to win at all costs, managers and players make humongous mistakes. Refs do as well, but they are the easy target.....

Video of evidence for matter of fact decisions in or out of play or maybe offside if goal or no goal is being disputed. 

The big one for me would be to mic up refs, something I guess clubs wouldn't like.

1 hour ago, Mafiabob said:

Try controlling a football match where 22 players are trying to win at all costs, managers and players make humongous mistakes. Refs do as well, but they are the easy target.....

Video of evidence for matter of fact decisions in or out of play or maybe offside if goal or no goal is being disputed. 

The big one for me would be to mic up refs, something I guess clubs wouldn't like.

I would guess a couple of refs wouldn't either?

So far this season for my Sunday team, we have had a ref that you could not speak to at all. Not even to ask what he was giving free kicks for so it seemed like he was inconsistent with his decisions. We have had one where the other team were effing and blinding at the ref (so much for clamping down in this) and he gave them back the same language and looked like he was going to nut one of their players when he was having a go. One that was away with the fairies, and gave who ever appealed loudest the decision. And yesterday's ref was brilliant, he talked to the players, explained every decision and made the match more enjoyable, there no arguing between the teams, no stupid challenges going in. The first 3 were more seasoned refs and the one yesterday was in his 20s. So much for experience.

3 hours ago, Mafiabob said:

By the letter of the (supposedly new and eager to enforce) law, shouldn't Fonte have been sent off on Saturday???  He got a yellow card for the penalty and immediately began shouting in the refs face, another yellow...

10 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

By the letter of the (supposedly new and eager to enforce) law, shouldn't Fonte have been sent off on Saturday???  He got a yellow card for the penalty and immediately began shouting in the refs face, another yellow...

Not seen it. 

I don't see why they don't allow video refs. The argument that it will stop the flow of the game doesn't stand up. By the time players have had their customary bullying of the ref and complaining they could have settled the decision by video. 

Or why don't they allow a number of challenges per team like in hockey? In a world where football is a multi million pound business it doesn't make sense any more to allow incompetent strutting arrogant ***** to take charge entirely on their own. They don't listen to their 'assistants' either. 

4 hours ago, Anon said:

Agreed. You expect at least a small amount of common sense from referees. Having failed to use his common sense with the first goal it should've taken a Buxtonesque rugby tackle to get play stopped from the corner, but Miles Addison having the temerity to breath on a Forest defender was enough for Tw@well.

Thought process of a ref: 'that was a foul on the attacker, I'll blow my whistle, penalty. Oh ****, the ball's in the back of the net, maybe j should e played advantage for a couple of seconds. Still, when they score this penalty, they'll get me out of jail, and they'll say no more about it... ****, now they've missed the ******* penalty. I'll never hear the end of this. Please, God, let them score from this corner. I'll have got away with one then, that's for sure. Ggggggooooooaaaaallllllll!'

so what does a ref in this position do next? A) allow the goal and thank his lucky stars. B) look for an extremely debatable infringement and disallow the goal. 

Tell you what though, it takes some balls to choose option B at that point. The universe throws you a lifeline, and you throw it back and spit in the universe's face. 

4 hours ago, SIWY said:

Disallowed a perfectly good goal to give that penalty though, then disallowed another perfectly good goal after that! 

Plus I remember that he once awarded Reading a goal that never even went in... hopefully he can do this for us on Tuesday night :lol:

I remember this, i understand refs can make mistakes but this was pure incompetence and the game should have been replayed. Refs get too much protection, he should have been made to face the media.

35 minutes ago, Ewe Ram said:

I don't see why they don't allow video refs. The argument that it will stop the flow of the game doesn't stand up. By the time players have had their customary bullying of the ref and complaining they could have settled the decision by video. 

Or why don't they allow a number of challenges per team like in hockey? In a world where football is a multi million pound business it doesn't make sense any more to allow incompetent strutting arrogant ***** to take charge entirely on their own. They don't listen to their 'assistants' either. 

This seems to be the biggest reason why many people are clamouring for technology to be brought into football.

I'm probably in a minority but I think things are fine the way they are. If every contentious decision was checked and re-checked until the correct one was arrived that then what would we all have to talk about? Controversy is what fires the game of football. Without controversy our discussions about the match on the way home would last about 5 minutes.

Gary Cahill was blatantly fouled for the Swansea second yesterday and they would have won 2-1 but I am 100% sure that at some point during the season they will get a 'goal' that shouldn't have been due to offside or maybe score a penalty that shouldn't have been given.

Incorrect decisions happen for EVERY team at various points in a season and that's great to talk about these incidents until the cows come home.

It's like when fans boo opponents for timewasting when they are ahead in the game and time is running out but yet applaud their own players when the boot is on the other foot. Hypocrisy in football does my head in. You either hate timewasting regardless of who is doing it or you don't. Fans love to slate a ref for dubious decisions against their side but sit silent and say "it's just one of those things" when they benefit. At least technology should eliminate all this but wouldn't bet on it. Fans need things to moan about and if it's not the ref or decisions then that only leaves their own players to get it in the neck if they aren't at it. Leave decisions to the ref and he ref only.  Not sure this is relevant but just came into my head so thought i'd mention it. :p

Sadly football is a business now and there are huge amounts at stake. So much so that the pressure on refs to get it right is immense. If Ipswich get a last minute penalty that shouldn't have been given on Tuesday then fine. Not happy about it but I know that Derby will benefit from a poor decision at some point and that Ipswich will suffer from one at some point afterwards so no point going on about it as though it's destroyed your football club.

Also I don't think it's fair that lower league clubs should not have the same access to technology simply because they aren't 'big' enough and the funds aren't there. Tell a die hard Aldershot fan that his club is not as important as Chelsea and see what answer you get. Aldershot are just as important to English football as Chelsea. Football snobbery again. Money, money, money and making sure they don't miss out. That's what it boils down to. Not the integrity of the game and the moral high ground of making the correct decision for the good of football.

10 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

I remember this, i understand refs can make mistakes but this was pure incompetence and the game should have been replayed. Refs get too much protection, he should have been made to face the media.

Why? What next managers and players explaining why they missed a sitter or picked a wrong formation etc? Probably count on one hand when that happens 

47 minutes ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

This seems to be the biggest reason why many people are clamouring for technology to be brought into football.

I'm probably in a minority but I think things are fine the way they are. If every contentious decision was checked and re-checked until the correct one was arrived that then what would we all have to talk about? Controversy is what fires the game of football. Without controversy our discussions about the match on the way home would last about 5 minutes.

Gary Cahill was blatantly fouled for the Swansea second yesterday and they would have won 2-1 but I am 100% sure that at some point during the season they will get a 'goal' that shouldn't have been due to offside or maybe score a penalty that shouldn't have been given.

Incorrect decisions happen for EVERY team at various points in a season and that's great to talk about these incidents until the cows come home.

It's like when fans boo opponents for timewasting when they are ahead in the game and time is running out but yet applaud their own players when the boot is on the other foot. Hypocrisy in football does my head in. You either hate timewasting regardless of who is doing it or you don't. Fans love to slate a ref for dubious decisions against their side but sit silent and say "it's just one of those things" when they benefit. At least technology should eliminate all this but wouldn't bet on it. Fans need things to moan about and if it's not the ref or decisions then that only leaves their own players to get it in the neck if they aren't at it. Leave decisions to the ref and he ref only.  Not sure this is relevant but just came into my head so thought i'd mention it. :p

Sadly football is a business now and there are huge amounts at stake. So much so that the pressure on refs to get it right is immense. If Ipswich get a last minute penalty that shouldn't have been given on Tuesday then fine. Not happy about it but I know that Derby will benefit from a poor decision at some point and that Ipswich will suffer from one at some point afterwards so no point going on about it as though it's destroyed your football club.

Also I don't think it's fair that lower league clubs should not have the same access to technology simply because they aren't 'big' enough and the funds aren't there. Tell a die hard Aldershot fan that his club is not as important as Chelsea and see what answer you get. Aldershot are just as important to English football as Chelsea. Football snobbery again. Money, money, money and making sure they don't miss out. That's what it boils down to. Not the integrity of the game and the moral high ground of making the correct decision for the good of football.

Some great points there Tony.

Atwell is still a **** though.

5 hours ago, Mafiabob said:

I would love to have refs miked up. And when people heard the abuse from players, not only would the players be embarrassed but action could be taken. The whole game would improve as a result.

9 hours ago, sage said:

I hope you have a couple of songs ready to welcome him back. 

Atwell is a ******

He wears a ******'s hat

He is a ******* *******

and a ******* ****

He's **** on the left side

He's **** on the right

And when he refs at Derby,

He's **** all ******* night.

2 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

Atwell is a ******

He wears a ******'s hat

He is a ******* *******

and a ******* ****

He's **** on the left side

He's **** on the right

And when he refs at Derby,

He's **** all ******* night.

I'm struggling with the 4th line - other than that brilliant. Hope it gets going.

I don't think we have ever won a game with him in charge.

In fact, I've checked - if the records on Worldfootball are correct, that's true. We have had him twice since THAT game - both against Blackburn. A league draw and a cup defeat.

Booooooooo.

Archived