I feel I have to be patient but Pearson needs to be brave

JG400

1 minute ago, curtains said:

We are in transition and still developing a pattern of play .

We have Thorne to come back and players like Johnson and Butterfield will now have to step up to get back in the team. 

Pearson won't take any player power from anyone. 

Hughes was brilliant yesterday his best game this season .

Transition or not without the basics being performed well no pattern of play can be developed or effective.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, davenportram said:

Transition or not without the basics being performed well no pattern of play can be developed or effective.

Training ground is where the basics are developed .

Coaching staff etc 

Wassall with the academy and Powell ,Idiakez and Phillips etc 

1 minute ago, davenportram said:

So the manager who is in charge of everything gets no blame. He won't be telling the coaches what to work on? 

Blame for what .

He has taken over a team that failed last season in the playoffs. 

Give him time. 

6 games is not enough .

Tactical decisions in the first leg contributed largely to failure in the playoffs. More so than the players themselves. There was also a dose of misfortune with a deflected goal at a vital time.

What would have been ideal was a manager who could do what Wassall did in getting good play out of those players (like when we beat Hull 4-0 a few weeks earlier), but without his lapses into awful tactical management which ultimately cost him his chance of getting the job full time.

Instead we got a manager who needs everything and everybody to fit into what he wants them to be, as opposed to what they naturally are, and will see off anyone who can't do that.

1 hour ago, Cool As Custard said:

Good challenge - but I look back to our last 3 promotion teams and look at the strength of leaders and winners we had in all 3 of them and compare them to what we have now....

Div 2 champions under Arthur Cox - Hindmarch, Gregory, Williams, Davison and MacClaren (Ross not Steve!)

Championship runners up under Jim Smith - Stimac, Van der Laan, Yates, Gabbiadini and Powell (Chris not Darryl!)

Championship Playoff winners under Billy Davies - Moore, Oakley, Edworthy, Howard and Johnson (Michael and Seth!)

Compare this to we have now and I would say we lack a serious number of battle hardened leaders and winners. That and a couple of players with the same surname which seems to be the obvious pre requisite to a promotion campaign!

Good points fella.

I was worried that we wasted a transfer window not getting cover for Thorne. But you're right - we need a couple of big hard buggers that won't get knocked around.

Hope pearson thinks about this - we don't want to totally remove the flair from the side just need some minders so they're able to do their thing. 

Couldnt give a **** if he is brave, he needs to play to our players strengths. He didnt and he sold our best striker

I could be "brave" and ask 100 10/10 models on a date- will mean **** all when they all reject me

You play to your strengths and accept the players limitations, NP hasnt done that, he has dismantled our team

50 minutes ago, curtains said:

Blame for what .

He has taken over a team that failed last season in the playoffs. 

Give him time. 

6 games is not enough .

No he has taken a team whom has finished 5th and regressed them to a side currently 4th from bottom with the least amount of goals scored in the football divisions, that's not even maintaining the status quo whichever way you slice it that's regression.

Some supporters seem to think that after only six league and two cup games, the owner might be considering the manager's tenure. If Mel was to take that step, he would soon be setting out on the road with his fifth manager or head coach since he took day to day control of the club 18 months ago. To my mind that would not be a continuing blueprint for success but rather a recipe for continuing on-field instability in line with what the supporters of  Forest and Leeds , among others, have experienced in recent years. Our team on the pitch has been unstable since the watershed of the Wembley play-off defeat, the day after Mel bought back into the club. 

When Mel bought the club, he set out his ambitions in line with what has been achieved at Stoke City and he told us that he was in a position to do for Derby what Peter Coates had done for the Potters. He alluded to the fact that Derby's fan base offered the potential that meant he could even take us beyond that. Additionally, the club's off-field infrastructure is enviable. With patience, I believe that Mel's ambitions are realistic. However, what has to be remembered about Stoke is that when Coates returned to take control of the club in 2006, he brought back Tony Pulis as his manager, a move that was far from being universally popular among supporters. He knew Pulis from his previous tenure and entrusted him to take the team forward. In two years, he took them up and they have been an established Premier club ever since and for the only time in their history, they reached the FA Cup final. That did not happen instantly but Coates was patient and trusting and gave Pulis time. They have had two managers in 10 years, while Derby are on their third in six months. The patience and trust in his managers that Peter Coates has exercised at Stoke was as vital as the money that he put into the club. I believe Mel now needs to shed impulse in favour of patience and trust.

Four months ago when appointing him as manager, he described Nigel Pearson as the outstanding candidate for Derby County and a perfect fit for the club. He was right. Nothing about Nigel Pearson has changed in those four months. The first steps he took in his first tenure at Leicester was to remove players who were not conducive to harmony in the dressing room. He has come into Derby and looked at the players he inherited. He will have assessed the characters of the players and their suitability to fit into a style of play that has previously proved very successful for him elsewhere. Having done that he will decide on players he does not want to take with him on the journey ahead and will identify replacements that will improve the team, while working within the constraints of financial fair play. Hopefully that process has started. I just hope that he is given time to see it through. It worries me that if Mel takes a contrary view, the club will become a laughing stock and will no longer be able to attract a candidate of the required calibre. Furthermore, supporters will become disillusioned and the number of season ticket sales will start to decline.

Mel pays his manager good money to run the football side of the club. Let him get on with it without undue interference. Nigel Pearson has an outstanding record in what he achieved at Leicester.  Give him time and there is no reason why he cannot do the same at Derby.

I would much rather see us promoted in two to three seasons, properly equipped this time for the Premier League, than to be in the position we are now with a continuing cycle of managers that Mel has quickly lost patience with. Change the players, not the manager.

3 minutes ago, Inglorius said:

No he has taken a team whom has finished 5th and regressed them to a side currently 4th from bottom with the least amount of goals scored in the football divisions, that's not even maintaining the status quo that is however way you slice it a regression.

That team last season had how many points after 6 games. 

Was it 7 .

We have 5 now after 6 games. 

Maybe we are slow starters. 

Still in the Cup though this season 

13 hours ago, JG400 said:

I am prepared to give Pearson the time to shape his squad but I would like him to be brave;

Shackell , thought he was poor today , never seems to be looking up the left wing when there is space , and took to many touches , genuine question here can Pearce play on the left side of a back 4 ?

Midfield , I would stick my neck out and say to Johnson, the position is your's, play your way back into form (until Thorne or Hanson is fit ;-)  ) , I am afraid Bryson would be dropped which is unfair but Hughes is playing better

Russell - err Bye ! , I guess it would have to be Ince or (can Weimann play on the right ?)  or really Brave look in the Under 23's

Wilson looked lost today , could be rusty but Ince could play that role , again with a under 23 playing on right

I think you make some good points and i'd like to see the same....I might get shot, but maybe it is time to give shackell a rest? I think he's a good defender I just don't think he contributes anything when on the ball and it seems like we need him to constantly be on the ball.....I'd love to swap him with Brighton's Lewis Dunk maybe? Dunk and Keogh? Both can play on the ball, both younger, both can defend.

Would like to see Johnson back in a 4-4-2....he should excel in this formation....give him a chance and if he doesn't take it then we can say we tried and he needs to go.

Not sure if i agree about Wilson,.....he tried, he wanted to make an impact and showed a bit of spirit...I just dont think he had the quality to pull it off.....I'd like to see Vydra and Weimann up front, with Anya and Camara supporting on the wings. Johnson and Hughes in the midfield.

2 hours ago, Inglorius said:

Good point, so we've actually regressed on our appalling start from last season which is some feat.

At least in that appalling start we could be sure things would improve. That we would stop conceding lucky deflected goals and that our domination of matches would see us out. It did. I'm not seeing any of that so far this season.

3 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

I keep reading that confidence being low is a factor in our performances, why would confidence be low at the start of the season?

Because Pearson seems to have taken it upon himself to destroy every ounce of confidence and team spirit in the club.  Playing players in roles that forces them to do things they are bad at and stops them doing what they are good at, and then slagging them off in the media for playing badly is not in any way conducive to building confidence.

Archived