Football violence of the 1970's and 80's

uttoxram75

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Tim Bucktoo said:

Blummin eck mate. Just shocking. 

Don't know how old you are Tim but there was a time when lads were getting cut every week it seemed. It amazes me that there's grown men on here eulogising those times. It was just rank, tribal cowardice IMO.

4 minutes ago, 86 points said:

Don't know how old you are Tim but there was a time when lads were getting cut every week it seemed. It amazes me that there's grown men on here eulogising those times. It was just rank, tribal cowardice IMO.

With lots of non-hooligans caught up in it regardless. Always remember leaving the BBG and making our way back into town, me and my granddad, keeping an ear out for the chants and roars as the idiot hooligans chased each other looking for a fight post-match. The violence did not enhance the football experience one little bit. Mindless f*ckwits most of them without a thought for who got caught up in it.

7 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

With lots of non-hooligans caught up in it regardless. Always remember leaving the BBG and making our way back into town, me and my granddad, keeping an ear out for the chants and roars as the idiot hooligans chased each other looking for a fight post-match. The violence did not enhance the football experience one little bit. Mindless f*ckwits most of them without a thought for who got caught up in it.

The stuff that sticks with me most is watching dads cowering over their nippers as these idiots ran amok. I've no sympathy for those who went looking for trouble but you're absolutely right in your assertion that oftentimes it was innocent fans who got hurt worst.

36 minutes ago, 86 points said:

Yeah, that was a cracker eh Tony.....

To be fair I meant in terms of the sheer ridiculousness of it and not because I was somehow finding joy in such a dangerous act. It's hard to get the meaning and context of posts online sometimes and perhaps this is a case in point 86.

4 minutes ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

To be fair I meant in terms of the sheer ridiculousness of it and not because I was somehow finding joy in such a dangerous act. It's hard to get the meaning and context of posts online sometimes and perhaps this is a case in point 86.

I know mate, I'm just being a dick. Sorry! This topic has got my hackles up a bit.  I'd best go find a more cheery post!

1 hour ago, 86 points said:

Started going regularly in 84 home and away with my dad and saw lots of running around at the likes of Stoke, Shef Utd etc. It was unavoidable getting to and from train stations and grounds. Quite scary at times but felt 'ok' with the old man. Looking back, I bet he was bricking it tbh. He just stood in front of us as all the lads ran around. I was just shocked and sorry to hear of your experience. 

4 minutes ago, Tim Bucktoo said:

Started going regularly in 84 home and away with my dad and saw lots of running around at the likes of Stoke, Shef Utd etc. It was unavoidable getting to and from train stations and grounds. Quite scary at times but felt 'ok' with the old man. Looking back, I bet he was bricking it tbh. I was just shocked and sorry to hear of your experience. 

Thanks mate

Slightly concerned that this thread is losing momentum. Perhaps we could widen it out a bit? Anyone got any good stories from the glorious past about workplace bullying (physical stuff obv.), wife beating, or smacking someone around because of sexual or cultural differences? Be great to hear more reminisces from you old boys.

1 hour ago, 86 points said:

I know mate, I'm just being a dick. Sorry! This topic has got my hackles up a bit.  I'd best go find a more cheery post!

Haha, no worries mate. :lol:

The good thing is that England has moved forward so much in terms of  trying to eradicate hooliganism bar a few drunken ********* here and there yet in most of Europe they are still seriously and firmly ensconced in the dark ages. That's a positive. :) For England at least.

I think folk on this thread are nostalgic about the past and rightly or wrongly it's bringing back fond memories for them. The main thing is that hopefully the thread will put off any 'new recruits' from taking up the ultimately pointless act of football hooliganism as nowadays it's quite rightly viewed as a pretty moronic and depraved anti social activity compared to the 'good ol' days' of the 70's , 80's and even 90's where it was more a culture, a part of the matchday experience if you like.

At the end of the day reminiscing isn't a crime - and it certainly won't change events of an era long gone, nor will it make people want to see them return, more importantly.

Reading through peoples experiences isn't pleasant, and of course, if you've been on the receiving end of such violence you're bound to have mental scars which come across in posts. What people suffered by the hands of others supposedly in the name of football is really horrible and I cant imagine how scary it must have been.

As for talking about it now, well it's going to be, that's just how it is, and as has been said, books have been written, films made, (I can't bring myself to watch one) I'm just thankful for the most part it's been confined to the history books and society has moved on.

My own opinion is talking about it now doesn't mean people want to see it return, just the opposite in fact, if this thread is anything to go by.

11 hours ago, i-Ram said:

Slightly concerned that this thread is losing momentum. Perhaps we could widen it out a bit? Anyone got any good stories from the glorious past about workplace bullying (physical stuff obv.), wife beating, or smacking someone around because of sexual or cultural differences? Be great to hear more reminisces from you old boys.

Fantastic post. Possibly your best.

I'm not saying it's a good thing but remember the days when dad would come home and belt mam if dinner wasn't on the table? Wouldn't want to go back but dinner time was a lot more interesting. I know you can't defend it but I loved seeing him chase her down the garden to thrash her after a few pints. Ah, those were the days. 

14 hours ago, 86 points said:

My overriding memories of the so-called top lads of the day was that they were, by and large, a feral pack of feckin cowards who were totally non-descript outside the company of their pathetic, hanger-on mates. By and large, they were nothing without a crew behind them with very few notable exceptions.

@uttoxram75

That's it.

I was on a Brighton train going from Victoria Stn to Croydon on the Saturday afternoon when Chelsea beat Pompey in the Cup Final. My carriage was wall-to-wall Chelsea fans (in various degress of drunk), me, and about four Portsmouth fans. The whole time i was on the train they were tormented by some six stone hero who was so brave with his mates all around him. The Pompey lads looked terrified (they weren't that old), the miserable icing on the cake for them.

1 hour ago, GboroRam said:

Fantastic post. Possibly your best.

I'm not saying it's a good thing but remember the days when dad would come home and belt mam if dinner wasn't on the table? Wouldn't want to go back but dinner time was a lot more interesting. I know you can't defend it but I loved seeing him chase her down the garden to thrash her after a few pints. Ah, those were the days. 

I experienced that too, as well as be on the end of a fist, so I really get your point - but the difference I think, is that football violence isn't personal like domestic violence is.

No way am I trying to justify any of it, but its just different, far easier to turn a blind eye to someone fighting at a train station than it is to have it in your own home.

Back then you knew the risks of even walking the streets on matchdays, you knew something might kick off right in front of you, and rightly or wrongly adreneline fuelled this mindset of knowing if push came to shove, you had to fight back and it makes some more excitable and they'd be prepared for it, maybe even encourage it.

But thankfully it's the worst thing about football tribalism that's mainly gone.

Hope I make sense here as no way do I advocate violence.

23 hours ago, i-Ram said:

Yessss!  What he said..... Thanks i-Ram.

10 hours ago, ladyram said:

I experienced that too, as well as be on the end of a fist, so I really get your point - but the difference I think, is that football violence isn't personal like domestic violence is.

No way am I trying to justify any of it, but its just different, far easier to turn a blind eye to someone fighting at a train station than it is to have it in your own home.

Back then you knew the risks of even walking the streets on matchdays, you knew something might kick off right in front of you, and rightly or wrongly adreneline fuelled this mindset of knowing if push came to shove, you had to fight back and it makes some more excitable and they'd be prepared for it, maybe even encourage it.

But thankfully it's the worst thing about football tribalism that's mainly gone.

Hope I make sense here as no way do I advocate violence.

Is personal violence better than violence to strangers?

Archived