Barker to Burton?

cheron85

I think this counts as Rams Talk?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37021057

Shaun Barker: Ex-Derby County defender poised to join Burton Albion

Former Derby County defender Shaun Barker will be offered a deal at Burton Albion if he can prove his fitness, says manager Nigel Clough.

Barker, 33, who captained Derby under Clough, has not played competitively since dislocating his knee and rupturing ligaments in March 2012.

He is set to start training with Burton after undergoing minor knee surgery.

"If we have room budget-wise and he is OK, then it is a no-brainer for us," Clough said.

"He is just a good post influence to have around with Championship experience. He is a good person to have around the football club.

"His treatment is going well and he is close to joining back in, so he is one that we haven't ruled out at all."

After taking nearly three years to recover from his horrific knee injury, Barker returned to play for Derby's under-21 side in February 2015, only to be released by the Rams later that year.

He has since been granted a testimonial year by the Championship club and has repeatedly expressed a desire to return to play professionally.

Clough says Barker is still capable of making an impact as a player.

"You want him to contribute on the pitch, but he has a lot more to offer than just on the pitch," Clough said.

"He wants to get out and play. There will be plenty of times this season with five or 10 minutes to go when we will need someone to come on and head the ball in our box.

"I cant think anyone better than him."

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With the best will in the world it's a bad idea for Barker and for Burton. I know Barker is desperate to get back playing again, but the risk simply isn't worth it. Clough is absolutely notorious for taking gambles with obscenely bad odds on injury prone players he likes. Russell Anderson was a quality player, but we wasted 2 season waiting for him to recover from an injury that ended his career. Same situation in the season we had Riggott back.

Sith Happens
8 minutes ago, Anon said:

With the best will in the world it's a bad idea for Barker and for Burton. I know Barker is desperate to get back playing again, but the risk simply isn't worth it. Clough is absolutely notorious for taking gambles with obscenely bad odds on injury prone players he likes. Russell Anderson was a quality player, but we wasted 2 season waiting for him to recover from an injury that ended his career. Same situation in the season we had Riggott back.

I doubt either anderson or riggott were bad risks, they may well not have worked out but i cannot imagine either of them was paid much, especially in riggotts case, there had to be some pay as you play deal going on.

The same will surely apply with barker and cannot see it being a massive salary. I'd take the risk provided the financial side of the deal was ok. Im just surprised it wasnt done earlier.

23 minutes ago, Anon said:

Russell Anderson went on to play for three more years with Aberdeen after he left Derby. It was a shame about his injuries though, I think they masked what a really good defender he was. 

Clough has a reputation with players,his patience with youth,Hughes-Hendricks-Bennett,Derbys academy.

Adams-Reed-Mcnulty-Freeman-,at Sheff utd,and Same at Burton bringing youth into the 1st team squad,

Players that are dedicated ,he is loyal too,he always shows patience with injured players,maybe a kick back from his dad having to retire at a early age,Barker is a true profesional and a joy to have around the squad and inspires the young ones and will give guidence,Nice for him to have the facilitys around george park,

Archived