Live Game Thread 16/17

SaintRam

4 minutes ago, philmycock said:

Watching Brighton and how they play Murray, makes me think we should ditch 442 and stick with Martin upfront in a 433 (when Thorne is back!)

Difference is that Murray is a lot better in the air than Martin so they crossed it to him a lot tonight. Also Martin isn't usually in the right position when crosses are put into the box and our crossing isn't as good as theirs. Brighton played 4-4-2 tonight so I don't understand how that changed your mind.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Difference is that Murray is a lot better in the air than Martin so they crossed it to him a lot tonight. Also Martin isn't usually in the right position when crosses are put into the box and our crossing isn't as good as theirs. Brighton played 4-4-2 tonight so I don't understand how that changed your mind.

Fair do's, only really noticed the big man up top, better than Martin in the air, but Martin is quality at playing sweet balls to attacking midfielders running through. Was more thinking about the opinions of selling Martin and replacing with fast nippy forwards.

1 minute ago, Bris Vegas said:

Martin is vastly underrated in the air. I can remember him scoring a fair few with his head.

Watching him week him week out live I have to disagree with you there. He wins next to nothing in the air when Keogh or Shackell play it to him. I'd say even Bent is better in the air than Martin and has a better leap on him. Martin is at his best when the ball is played chest down.

3 minutes ago, philmycock said:

Fair do's, only really noticed the big man up top, better than Martin in the air, but Martin is quality at playing sweet balls to attacking midfielders running through. Was more thinking about selling Martin and replacing with fast nippy forwards.

Yeah Martin is at his best when he has runners close to him like Bryson and Weimann as we saw in the play off second leg. Having runners next to him also makes the opposition take their focus off Martin. I think Martin is better away from home than at home as there is usually more space for him to drop into

1 minute ago, McLovin said:

Yeah Martin is at his best when he has runners close to him like Bryson and Weimann as we saw in the play off second leg. Having runners next to him also makes the opposition take their focus off Martin. I think Martin is better away from home than at home as there is usually more space for him to drop into

Just got thinking that they're really isn't that much wrong with our current set-up, gonna take time and money to get the right players in (and out) to build a competitive 442 side, still very optimistic that we can get there! One day!!

2 minutes ago, philmycock said:

Just got thinking that they're really isn't that much wrong with our current set-up, gonna take time and money to get the right players in (and out) to build a competitive 442 side, still very optimistic that we can get there! One day!!

I personally would play a diamond formation because we don't really have enough wingers imo

I would like to see a midfield and forward line of something like this

Thorne

Bryson          Hughes

Butterfield   

Martin    Weimann

I'm still waiting for the day Thorne,Hughes and Butterfield all start together because I think they'd complement each other very well. In a formation like this Butterfield would get 10-15 goals a season, I am sure of that. A bit of a controversial decision of mine leaving our Ince but I really don't think him and Martin suit each other as they take up each other's space. Ince plays better with someone like Bent who gives him more space and stretches the game.

22 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Watching him week him week out live I have to disagree with you there. He wins next to nothing in the air when Keogh or Shackell play it to him. I'd say even Bent is better in the air than Martin and has a better leap on him. Martin is at his best when the ball is played chest down.

Straight balls from the back are different to crosses from out wide. There is more incentive to win the ball in the air and direct a header towards goal than flicking on to nobody in behind.

Martin has scored some great headers while he has been here, against the likes of Cardiff, Brighton and Huddersfield in particular he won a straight jump against the defender and scored.

With the service Brighton's Glenn Murray will undoubtably get this season he must be a candidate for being one of the top scorers in the Championship this season. You get the feeling he has unfinished business at Brighton, he sadly looks at home after watching him tonight against Forest.

6 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

Anyone watching Hull / Leicester? 

Will probably scope it out for a half, I can't see it being exciting though. 

I plan to yeah. Can see it being very one sided in Leicester's favour. Hull are either starting with Livermore/Meyler/Huddlestone as one of their CBs, or are playing three at the back with two of those being full backs. And for impact off the bench they have Maloney and a bunch of youngsters. :lol:

Gray has been a constant momentum killer for Leicester. First move they make that ignores him is slick. Unlucky not to get a goal, good defensive block. 

Great save made pointless by a good Hernandez finish. 1-0 Hull. Leic look shicking defensively. 

EDIT: Hernandez and Diomande hit that simultaneously, good challenge for whoever makes the decisions as to who scored that. 

2 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

Great save made pointless by a good Hernandez finish. 1-0 Hull. Leic look shicking defensively. 

EDIT: Hernandez and Diomande hit that simultaneously, good challenge for whoever makes the decisions as to who scored that. 

Still stand by my claim months ago that they will get relegated this season (Leicester that is)

Archived