Live Game Thread 16/17

SaintRam

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, ossieram said:

Apart from scoring an early goal, Newcastle have looked very poor. QPR deserved their equaliser and could have scored 3 before they did score.

Hopefully all set up for a LuaLua winner. :D

QPR have played well though, just been lacking a final ball a few times.

Went to watch Burton vs Fulham tonight in order to see a certain Chris Martin. Unfortunately he wasn't particularly impressive, although it doesn't affect my man love for him:wub:. Three players that did catch my eye though were Fredericks, Aluko and Cairney. Fredericks tore Burton's left back (McCrory) a new one and Aluko was very bright and looked dangerous. Tom Cairney simply ran the show and almost scored an outrageous chip from distance. Looked absolutely outstanding and wouldn't be surprised at all if he was playing in the Premier League next season.

Fulham are such an odd team. I'm almost certain they batter most of their opponents in this league yet somehow they've never really had a stint inside the top six.

I mean, they destroyed Reading and Huddersfield 5-0 not long ago. Scored four at Barnsley and Wolves, could have quite easily scored four against us too.

They've got the 3rd best GD in the league, yet are down in 9th.

They're easily good enough to be in the top six.

Looking forward to tonight's encounter. Guessing we'll be backing Brighton though I've been impressed with Huddersfield maintaining their push. Am sure most fans of other clubs thought they'd fade. Their manager is a big mate of Klopp. If they don't go up I reckon they'll do well to hold on to him. Be fascinating when they play Man City too, sure that'll be TV 

2 hours ago, SKRam said:

Looking forward to tonight's encounter. Guessing we'll be backing Brighton though I've been impressed with Huddersfield maintaining their push. Am sure most fans of other clubs thought they'd fade. Their manager is a big mate of Klopp. If they don't go up I reckon they'll do well to hold on to him. Be fascinating when they play Man City too, sure that'll be TV 

I'd rather both sides dropped points and drew.

18 hours ago, BurtonRam7 said:

Went to watch Burton vs Fulham tonight in order to see a certain Chris Martin. Unfortunately he wasn't particularly impressive, although it doesn't affect my man love for him:wub:. Three players that did catch my eye though were Fredericks, Aluko and Cairney. Fredericks tore Burton's left back (McCrory) a new one and Aluko was very bright and looked dangerous. Tom Cairney simply ran the show and almost scored an outrageous chip from distance. Looked absolutely outstanding and wouldn't be surprised at all if he was playing in the Premier League next season.

I don't like Aluko much from what I've seen. He seems like a playground footballer. Very good until the point he has to release the ball and then he's not very good. He could take on an entire team twice and then run away from an open goal to do it again. 

12 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Fulham are such an odd team. I'm almost certain they batter most of their opponents in this league yet somehow they've never really had a stint inside the top six.

I mean, they destroyed Reading and Huddersfield 5-0 not long ago. Scored four at Barnsley and Wolves, could have quite easily scored four against us too.

They've got the 3rd best GD in the league, yet are down in 9th.

They're easily good enough to be in the top six.

As with any team that builds up patiently and brings the whole team forwards they leave themselves open to great attacking opportunities. They don't take any breaking down. You can catch them out.

Love watching them play though. They create chances with some brilliant stuff. Thankfully for us they waste enough and concede enough to keep them 9th

58 minutes ago, Alpha said:

I don't like Aluko much from what I've seen. He seems like a playground footballer. Very good until the point he has to release the ball and then he's not very good. He could take on an entire team twice and then run away from an open goal to do it again. 

I see what you mean with that, he did tend to run into cul-de-sacs. However, last night he didn't really need a final ball because just running at the defence caused problems and create openings with little nicks off defenders. Maybe he got away with it because Burton are quite a poor side, I haven't really seen him against better opposition to judge properly. One thing is for sure though: Cairney is a classy player.

40 minutes ago, BurtonRam7 said:

I see what you mean with that, he did tend to run into cul-de-sacs. However, last night he didn't really need a final ball because just running at the defence caused problems and create openings with little nicks off defenders. Maybe he got away with it because Burton are quite a poor side, I haven't really seen him against better opposition to judge properly. One thing is for sure though: Cairney is a classy player.

Fella I work with is a season ticket holder at Burton and he reckons Fulham are the best team by far he has seen at their place this season.

Surely we'd want Brighton to win? We're not going to catch them, they're 15 points or so clear of us and importantly they don't depend on one or two players to get them results.

Our rivals for a top six spot are Fulham, Norwich, Sheff Wed, Leeds, Huddersfield and Reading. 

It's interesting that there are as many as seven decent looking sides vying for only four places. We're currently on for 75 points, which is remarkable when taking into account the 9 games under Pearson.

We could quite well get more than that and miss out again like 2014/15.

While I'd rather just focus on us doing what we do and making sure we hit around 80 points, I can't help but feel the three teams directly above us aare actually the weaker of our playoff rivals so I want them to start losing quickly.

Archived