Live Game Thread 16/17

SaintRam

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, eddie said:

I don't know why you bother with Derby County, Bris - or Derby supporters for that matter.

Our club is insignificant compared to the high standards you expect, and as for our fans - there must be millions better than us watching Spanish second division clubs.

Your utter drivel about "why would anyone want to support West Brom" just demonstrates how utterly out of touch you are with football supporters. We have clubs here, not franchises, and for most of us, who we support isn't a conscious decision.

People like you are why Soccer will never catch on in the States. The game has no soul, and neither has its customers. I hesitate to call people like you 'fans'.

I will always be a Derby County fan, but I'd probably become disillusioned with the club if they resort to playing rubbish football every year or their only goal for the campaign is to stay up in the PL.

It just wouldn't be enjoyable. I'd rather Derby stay in the Championship playing good football with honest, likeable pros who attempt to win football matches than be a West Brom.

I don't expect or demand high standards. West Brom are better than Derby, but I'd much prefer this now under McClaren to anything Tony Pulis has served up in the last 10 years or so.

Celebrating 12 wins from 38 per season, around 9 of which were probably scrappy and devoid of quality. No thanks.

Not sure what you're talking about franchises and the US for. I'm not interested in that. I'm a big football fan, but there are certain aspects of the modern game, especially in the PL, which I find so tedius.

Middlesbrough and WBA being examples. Spend so much money, pay their players so highly yet they're both devoid of quality, play rubbish defensive football and celebrate 13th place finishes.

For the amount of money Premier League teams pay their players the standard of quality ought to be so much better. 

7 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

They are a nothing club. What do they actually offer the PL? Nothing. Derby IMO would be the same.

The PL is a really boring league. Yeah it looks like the title race might be interesting this season, but outside the top six it's full of really mediocre clubs with overpaid average players.

The football is dull as dishwater.

I don't watch the PL. I spend most weekends watching the Bundesliga. The football is miles better, and you get teams who actually want to win matches rather set up from the start aiming for a 0-0 draw.

Why would you want to support WBA? They play such dire football and celebrate not getting beat. The moment they go 1-0 up, they want the game to finish. Entertainment? Absoloutely not.

The Championship is miles better as 95% of the time both teams are aiming to win.

Will also add that the PL is so boring that's probably why most weekends everybody talks about the referees performance as something needs to be discussed.

What can you say about Boro vs Hull for instance? I could sum it up in 10 seconds. Hull looked for a 0-0 draw but failed as a poor Boro side grabbed the only goal of a tedius game on the hour mark.

So you dont watch the PL but you have a very strong opinion on how nearly every team that is in it plays?

4 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

So you dont watch the PL but you have a very strong opinion on how nearly every team that is in it plays?

I've seen enough, but I'm not an avid fan of the PL. Only Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Man City and Southampton have impressed me this season. The rest have been pretty turgid.

I think Boro, Hull, Burnley and Sunderland have been the worst. Awful teams with awful defensive football.

1 minute ago, Bris Vegas said:

I've seen enough, but I'm not an avid fan of the PL. Only Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Man City and Southampton have impressed me this season. The rest have been pretty turgid.

I think Boro, Hull, Burnley and Sunderland have been the worst. Awful teams with awful defensive football.

The problem being that when the lesser teams are on tv normally they are against a team that have spent hundreds of millions more than them so really should not be expected to compete.

39 minutes ago, CumbrianRam said:

That Leicester starting eleven would struggle to get top 6 in the Championship

Think they'd struggle in Sunday league tbf. 

23 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Are many of them calling for Pearson back? Seem to remember a few telling us how great he was and we should give him time...

Some of them are tbf. Apparently one of their players asked a Porto player for his shirt whilst there was corner and they said how the players wouldn't do such things if they had Pearson back.

On Wednesday, December 07, 2016 at 08:05, TigerTedd said:
On Wednesday, December 07, 2016 at 07:28, Tony Le Mesmer said:

Agree with this.

Middlesbrough, Hull, Swansea, Watford, Palace, Stoke, Bournemouth, Burnley, WBA, Sunderland.

Replace them with Derby, Newcastle, Villa, Norwich, Sheff Wednesday, Leeds for a start and what an interesting Premier League it would be.

The old adage rings true though, all these clubs I've mentioned deserve to be where they currently are.

Replace with Norwich? They would likely come straight back down as they have recently and apart from a few hardcore their fans are some of the least passsionate I've come across. I very much doubt Boro fans are the most passionate in the country, but on reaching the playoff final a year and a half ago about 10,000 of us descended on Trafalgar Square for an all night piss up and were still singing most of the way back home even "We're staying down! We're staying down! Cos we fu(ked it up, in London town!" after losing the thing which I'd imagine is what fans of most clubs would do.

Here's the canaries faithful celebrating winning their promotion afterwards btw;

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10153327370975419&id=514925418&refsrc=http%3A%2F%2Ffansonline.net%2Fmiddlesbrough%2Fmb%2Fview.php&_rdr

And I think Bris is just totally biased for clubs that remind him of his youth when he was more passionate about football personally. Nothing wrong with that, I grew up in a similar era. My Dad always raves about Pompey and Wolves whenever they do well too, for the same reason.

But there has to be different eras in football in terms of which teams do well otherwise Sunderland would still be winning the league every year and the Old Etonians side would be envied up and down the land.

To be frank however, we were having much the same discussion on our board two seasons back about whether we were happier with the champo, it's unpredictability and excitement or the prospect of being in the Prem, but never in with a shout of winning the thing or qualifying for the CL even (though since then the words 'Leicester City' does at least mean a fan can dream)  Most of us agreed the champo could be more entertaining, but if you did well in it other sides would simply park the bus against you making for dull games anyway.

Most clubs of a decent size also need the Prem and it's money from time to time to be self-sufficient.

The conclusion reached was that we would celebrate being back in the Prem, but understand that sacrifices needed to be made to our style of football up there at least to start with, as obviously we'd have an inferior squad to most of the sides till we got established. Provided we actually improved year on year with stability and could build till we became a force enough to develop a more exciting style we would be quite happy, so long as we made the days of the mid-00's (with the league cup win, having a strikeforce reminiscent of Hasselbaink, Viduka and Yakubu, coming back needing 4 goals in an hour to progress (after switching formation to a 3-3-4) twice in the quarters and semis to reach the UEFA final etc) our aim... and please God didn't end up having the decade in the Prem Sunderland have had up till now, fans celebrating 17th place year after sodding year.

Most teams have to dig in and grind draws and wins out when they first go up or they don't survive. They only have to hope that the can improve year on year to a level where that will no longer be necessary. In modern times I can think of only Bournemouth who bucked the trend. Others like Blackpool have a go and it ends in failure, however glorious that failure may be.

Like it or not, the perfect premier league would have Sunderland and Newcastle in it for the tasty derbies, and their just wouldn't be room for another north eastern club. You're like the north eastern version of Leicester, no one really cares enough to dislike you much. 

Norwich woukd probably get in just on geography. The only team in the east worth considering. 

I can see where you're coming from regarding the northeast rivalry thing, both Sunderland and Newcastle dislike us and us them and there is a rivalry thing, but they do hate each other more.

But just having Norwich in for their location is silly. They'd have no real rival unless you put Ipswich in there after all. I'd rather have as a neutral either us or Birmingham City, Wolves, West Brom etc as they at least have some kind of rivalry if not the main one with with other sides and a more passionate support. Would you include Plymouth Argyle in there merely because of their location as there's no one else from the SouthWest? And if you had to have them have a rivalry you'd have to suddenly promote Exeter City up through the pyramid. And I'm assuming if you want Swansea out you're putting Cardiff and/or Newport County in to represent Wales too?

Leeds are good but really naive. They seem to play like they don't have a care in the world. Which is good in a way but not when the opponent is having a good spell or in this case where they have an extra man. 

Brighton look to be cruising now. 

Leeds just making careless errors and trying too much too quickly. With 10 men you can't force the game. Just keep inviting Brighton to attack.

Brighton seem to just be patiently waiting for each invite. 

Archived