Live Game Thread 16/17

SaintRam

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

Middlesbrough v Hull.

Lordy lord.

Tonight's offering in supposedly the world's greatest league.

So glad I've got BT Sport.

Lincoln City v Oldham is much more appealing.

Last week, @rynny was equally scathing about West Brom v Burnley.

It was a tremendously entertaining game to watch - certainly much better than the turgid tripe served up by Everton and Manchester United yesterday.

37 minutes ago, eddie said:

Last week, @rynny was equally scathing about West Brom v Burnley.

It was a tremendously entertaining game to watch - certainly much better than the turgid tripe served up by Everton and Manchester United yesterday.

Tbf I did follow up with this

And the stats that Sky put out were off putting more than the thought of the game itself.

19 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

Anyone see any difference between Rojo's and Aguero's assaults?

A couple of refereeing decisions over the weekend were unbelievable. Anthony Taylor clearly chickened out of showing David Luiz a second yellow and must shoulder some of the blame for how that game finished - had he taken a sterner line earlier in the match it is unlikely that discipline would have deteriorated in the way it did. Then yesterday, Michael Oliver showing only a yellow to Rojo's when he could easily have broken his opponents' leg left me in utter disbelief - I've always considered Oliver to be one of our top officials but failure to punish that hideous tackle makes me wonder.

Too many referees recently seem to be influenced by the need not to 'ruin' a match (especially if it's being televised) by keeping 11 player on each side on the pitch but letting thuggish assaults go without the appropriate punishment does the game no service. Yes Taylor showed 2 red cards to City players but the game was over.

Obviously as a Boro fan I enjoyed last night's action, but in the end I imagine the game was turgid for the neutral.

Reason being Hull more or less played 9 men in front of their keeper with Diomande strolling around further up with no service, resulting in it just being wave after wave of our attacks battering them till finally their parked team bus was breached.

It almost reminded me of our campaign in the champo last season to be fair, with the majority of teams just sticking men behind the ball to try and snatch a draw. Obviously in the Prem we are now one of the smaller fishes in a big pond, but in some games like Hull at home we will be seen as more of a threat.

Think Hull will be down at the end of this year, along with most likely Swansea at the mo and one from Palace, Scowling Dyche's penniless paupers, the deckchairs up the road, Brady's bunch and ourselves making up the final place.

If Leicester are still doing thus below par come January I think their Thai owners will splash the cash bigtime whilst Stoke, Watford and West Brom are more solid and Bournemouth probably have too much to fear the drop.

Everton and Saints (again!) should finish top half.

For the record I've tipped Brighton to go up automatically this year, not surprisingly most likely with the Skunks. Reading will fall away as per as will Huddersfield. Brum probably falling too. Norwich will surge back into the playoffs come season end, along with yourselves and Sheff Wed. Then there's the yearly "surprise" team (Brentford then Brighton last 2 seasons) and it might just be the Dirties....

Boro have got to be one of the dullest Premier League teams ever.

They are such a nothing club. They're not exactly small so it's not like their current achievement is relatively decent, and they're never going to consistently challenge as a top six club like Spurs.

They're just going to be in the PL, boring every to tears before they finally get relegated.

I'm not picking on Boro by the way. The likes of WBA, Stoke, Sunderland, Swansea and Palace are all the same. 

Hull and Burnley I don't include as they'll go down anyway, while Bournemouth and Watford still have that fresh look about them. But in two years time they'll be added to the list.

Derby, if they ever get there and stay there, will probably also join those set of clubs. 

There is nothing worse that just being one of those kinds of teams in the top-flight who pretty much offer nothing to the league in terms of entertainment. Battling away, every year, celebrating a 13th place finish.

46 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

They are such a nothing club. They're not exactly small so it's not like their current achievement is relatively decent, and they're never going to consistently challenge as a top six club like Spurs.

They're just going to be in the PL, boring every to tears before they finally get relegated.

I'm not picking on Boro by the way. The likes of WBA, Stoke, Sunderland, Swansea and Palace are all the same. 

Hull and Burnley I don't include as they'll go down anyway, while Bournemouth and Watford still have that fresh look about them. But in two years time they'll be added to the list.

Derby, if they ever get there and stay there, will probably also join those set of clubs. 

There is nothing worse that just being one of those kinds of teams in the top-flight who pretty much offer nothing to the league in terms of entertainment. Battling away, every year, celebrating a 13th place finish.

Say what you like about PL mid table obscurity, it's a better class of misery than most teams have.

3 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Someone has to make up the numbers. Else you might as well have that European super league they keep talking about. 

Its amazing how many big clubs are in the championship these days though, and therefore how much **** is left in the premier league. And your list is pretty spot on. 

2 hours ago, TigerTedd said:

Someone has to make up the numbers. Else you might as well have that European super league they keep talking about. 

Its amazing how many big clubs are in the championship these days though, and therefore how much **** is left in the premier league. And your list is pretty spot on. 

Agree with this.

Middlesbrough, Hull, Swansea, Watford, Palace, Stoke, Bournemouth, Burnley, WBA, Sunderland.

Replace them with Derby, Newcastle, Villa, Norwich, Sheff Wednesday, Leeds for a start and what an interesting Premier League it would be.

The old adage rings true though, all these clubs I've mentioned deserve to be where they currently are.

34 minutes ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

Agree with this.

Middlesbrough, Hull, Swansea, Watford, Palace, Stoke, Bournemouth, Burnley, WBA, Sunderland.

Replace them with Derby, Newcastle, Villa, Norwich, Sheff Wednesday, Leeds for a start and what an interesting Premier League it would be.

The old adage rings true though, all these clubs I've mentioned deserve to be where they currently are.

There was a thread on here ages ago about which teams would make up the perfect premier league, taking into account fierce rivalries and derbies, decent spread across the country etc. Forest would always sneak in, cos if we're in the premier league, it's nice to know we're guaranteed 6 points straight away. 

1 hour ago, TigerTedd said:

There was a thread on here ages ago about which teams would make up the perfect premier league, taking into account fierce rivalries and derbies, decent spread across the country etc. Forest would always sneak in, cos if we're in the premier league, it's nice to know we're guaranteed 6 points straight away. 

I was going to put Forest in there but thought I'd get lynched on here. :p

My era as a teen for following footy was late 80's early 90's and therefore I'll tend to be biased about which clubs i think should be in the top division based on the clubs that were in there when i was growing up.

That's what I find sad about football today. Kids growing up will see clubs like Stoke and Hull and Middlesbrough as massive top clubs because they are in the Prem. The longer clubs like us, Forest, Leeds, Sheff Wednesday spend in the second tier the less kids growing up now see them as big clubs if that makes sense.

8 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Boro nothing club? Oh dear. Boring every to tears? Just wow... Well do yourself a favour don't watch the PL then. 

P.S WBA are 7th at the moment so they could be in Europe next season. You are full of nonsense. 

It's that time of year again where Arsenal fans think Wenger is the best manager in the world. Come February they will be chanting for Wenger out. It's the same with Sanchez's contract situation, they said no player is bigger than the club and they shouldn't be held to ransom but after he scored the hat trick against West Ham they said they should pay him anything he wants. Never known such a fickle group of supporters 

3 hours ago, Derby_EnglandLoyal said:

Boro nothing club? Oh dear. Boring every to tears? Just wow... Well do yourself a favour don't watch the PL then. 

P.S WBA are 7th at the moment so they could be in Europe next season. You are full of nonsense. 

They are a nothing club. What do they actually offer the PL? Nothing. Derby IMO would be the same.

The PL is a really boring league. Yeah it looks like the title race might be interesting this season, but outside the top six it's full of really mediocre clubs with overpaid average players.

The football is dull as dishwater.

I don't watch the PL. I spend most weekends watching the Bundesliga. The football is miles better, and you get teams who actually want to win matches rather set up from the start aiming for a 0-0 draw.

Why would you want to support WBA? They play such dire football and celebrate not getting beat. The moment they go 1-0 up, they want the game to finish. Entertainment? Absoloutely not.

The Championship is miles better as 95% of the time both teams are aiming to win.

Will also add that the PL is so boring that's probably why most weekends everybody talks about the referees performance as something needs to be discussed.

What can you say about Boro vs Hull for instance? I could sum it up in 10 seconds. Hull looked for a 0-0 draw but failed as a poor Boro side grabbed the only goal of a tedius game on the hour mark.

I don't know why you bother with Derby County, Bris - or Derby supporters for that matter.

Our club is insignificant compared to the high standards you expect, and as for our fans - there must be millions better than us watching Spanish second division clubs.

Your utter drivel about "why would anyone want to support West Brom" just demonstrates how utterly out of touch you are with football supporters. We have clubs here, not franchises, and for most of us, who we support isn't a conscious decision.

People like you are why Soccer will never catch on in the States. The game has no soul, and neither has its customers. I hesitate to call people like you 'fans'.

19 minutes ago, eddie said:

I don't know why you bother with Derby County, Bris - or Derby supporters for that matter.

Our club is insignificant compared to the high standards you expect, and as for our fans - there must be millions better than us watching Spanish second division clubs.

Your utter drivel about "why would anyone want to support West Brom" just demonstrates how utterly out of touch you are with football supporters. We have clubs here, not franchises, and for most of us, who we support isn't a conscious decision.

People like you are why Soccer will never catch on in the States. The game has no soul, and neither has its customers. I hesitate to call people like you 'fans'.

I think that's what happens when you're a football fan who just happens to support Derby. Bris is way more into football than he is actually supporting a local club, he's not willing to entirely stake his footballing reputation on a club like Derby.

I'm not one to suggest that if you live outside of England then you're less of a Derby fan than people in England or Derby, but it does make a difference. You're not bumping into Forest fans at work or college, you're not getting the 'oh they're ****' whenever you tell someone you support Derby and you don't have to clarify that it was 11 points not 12 in 07/08.

You basically just get 'oh, never heard of them' when you're abroad. You don't have to stake your reputation with your peers on how your team does on Saturday, it makes it easier to become emotionally detached from the club. Every high is a little less high and every low is a little less low.

Still think Bris is a Derby fan, I know he's sat in a car park trying to get a stream of anything on his laptop, but it's just way easier to be dismissive and less passionate for him. He's also a big believer in playing down the importance of things, even if he does care. Definitely noticed that in the past however many years I've wasted typing away on here.

I find the whole "quality of this league or that league" thing a bit irrelevant to "is this entertaining me?"

I like cup matches because it's a relativity consequence free "have a go" match but so many just seem to go "ug, league 2 opposition - not bothered" or "weakened team - not bothered" etc etc...yes we know, bit that doesn't mean the game itself will not be entertaining.

Archived