That bets out of the window.

Doodle

I had a cheeky few quid on young William Hughes being an England player before next year was out. With the appointment of big Sam as new England manager I feel this may be curtains for young talented ball players in the near future, although I bet Andy Carrols creaming himself. I couldn't be more underwhelmed with this appointment. 

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sam Allardyce typically plays percentage football because he knows that is the best method for teams like Bolton, Blackburn, West Ham and Sunderland to comfortably survive in the Premier League.

Given a set of more talented players at his disposal, I think it would be pretty naive to suggest that he would field a bunch of scrappy cloggers in the hope of more of the same.

I'm quite looking forward to seeing what he can do with England. I wouldn't rule out the likes of Hughes breaking through in the next five years (if Allardyce is still in charge).

4 minutes ago, RiddingsRam said:

As it's an England based thread I kind of presumed .

I'll give you that @RiddingsRam:lol:

Although I wouldn't bet against BFS petitioning fifa, the following,  anyone to have his sole eligibility for England confirmed.

Also I didn't actually put any numbers on odds before and after....but that would be a bit weaselly. .....

@Bris Vegas is spot on for me. He has always played to the players at his disposals strength. It's not like he played Kevin Davies up front and had Thierry Henry sat on his bench.

Look at some of the players Allardyce has purchased and have a think if the opening post is valid or just influenced by the media portrayal of Allardyce teams...

He had plenty of money to spend at West Ham but still recruited players of a certain ilk. It wasn't until they threatened him with the sack that he altered his playing style to show more flair. Ironically they sacked him anyway. He wasted lots of money there although admittedly most of it on Christmas hampers. 

59 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Sam Allardyce typically plays percentage football because he knows that is the best method for teams like Bolton, Blackburn, West Ham and Sunderland to comfortably survive in the Premier League.

Given a set of more talented players at his disposal, I think it would be pretty naive to suggest that he would field a bunch of scrappy cloggers in the hope of more of the same.

I'm quite looking forward to seeing what he can do with England. I wouldn't rule out the likes of Hughes breaking through in the next five years (if Allardyce is still in charge).

I agree with you that Sam isn't as negative as everyone makes out but he had a decent squad at West Ham but their fans were still bored out of their minds. Even the Bolton team that finished in europe wasn't that entertaining, apart from Okocha. Sam has gone on record saying he hates possession football with a passion. I think Hughes would thrive in a possession based team but that's for me. I believe Hughes would have had more of a chance of breaking into the England squad in the next year or so had Southgate been appointed the England manager.

9 minutes ago, McLovin said:

I agree with you that Sam isn't as negative as everyone makes out but he had a decent squad at West Ham but their fans were still bored out of their minds. Even the Bolton team that finished in europe wasn't that entertaining, apart from Okocha. Sam has gone on record saying he hates possession football with a passion. I think Hughes would thrive in a possession based team but that's for me. I believe Hughes would have had more of a chance of breaking into the England squad in the next year or so had Southgate been appointed the England manager.

I can't believe that any manager has gone on record as saying he doesn't want his team having possession.

Agree re the Southgate point.

5 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

I can't believe that any manager has gone on record as saying he doesn't want his team having possession.

Agree re the Southgate point.

Don't think he said he doesn't want his team having possession but he said he reckons it's a load of ********. sometimes. At least his interviews will be a lot more entertaining than those of the yes man Roy Hodgson

England can't outpass/play the big teams so a bit more direct pacey play will do for me. Look how we 'played' against Slovakia compared to Germany opening teams up, Big Sam is a better appointment than Klinsmann for me.

Hughes will only get a sniff if he's playing for a big team.

Bet Sam doesn't pick any West Ham players :p

4 minutes ago, Seth's left foot said:

England can't outpass/play the big teams so a bit more direct pacey play will do for me. Look how we 'played' against Slovakia compared to Germany opening teams up, Big Sam is a better appointment than Klinsmann for me.

Hughes will only get a sniff if he's playing for a big team.

Bet Sam doesn't pick any West Ham players :p

Don't think comparing the way we did against Slovakia in comparison to how Germany did is the best of examples to use because Germany passed their way through them, rather than playing fast aggressive football but I see what you mean :). We should play to our strengths. If Spain have found playing possession football tough in the last few tournaments then why copy it when we have a group of players inferior technically. 

There is a real arrogance around a lot of England fans ,,media and pundits ,like England have these world class players that are too good for the likes of big Sam to manage,,,,, there needs to be a massive reality check ,, do England have good enough players to be far more competitive or perhaps even win something like the euros, simple answer is yes f ,,ck me Greece did ,,, when will people realise that someone like big Sam is more likely to achieve than other rolls Royce managers most call for ,, he is well used to doing a very solid job with less raw materials than others around him , tough ,,no nonsense ,, well organised  first and foremost ,,,,, he will do a good job if he is not hounded out first by deluded football snobs who are far to quick to label decent footballers or youngsters with potential as world class and even with all the evidence and history pointing to poor tournament performance still fully expect England to be reaching semi s , finals or even winning them?.

before any body says this is the tainted view of a jock ,I fully accept we are even worse and our problems run far deeper ,, ffs whe was the last time we actually churned out a slightly above average player?? 

21 hours ago, Doodle said:

I had a cheeky few quid on young William Hughes being an England player before next year was out. With the appointment of big Sam as new England manager I feel this may be curtains for young talented ball players in the near future, although I bet Andy Carrols creaming himself. I couldn't be more underwhelmed with this appointment. 

Balls mate. Hughes wont be in the england team until he plas for a premiershp side.

if he was welsh or irish or nothern irish of course he would have gone to the euros.

But 3rd GK aside england only pick players friom the highest level of club football, nothign to do with Big Sams previous clubs who have had to play percentage football and be very organised defensively due to their position in the league (ie a relegation fight)

Seeing as the Brexiteers have had enough of 'experts', I'm surprised that the same forward-thinking intellectuals haven't grown tired of 'enlightened' coaches too.

Archived