That bets out of the window.

Doodle

9 minutes ago, jagerbob said:

Balls mate. Hughes wont be in the england team until he plas for a premiershp side.

if he was welsh or irish or nothern irish of course he would have gone to the euros.

But 3rd GK aside england only pick players friom the highest level of club football, nothign to do with Big Sams previous clubs who have had to play percentage football and be very organised defensively due to their position in the league (ie a relegation fight)

I put the bet on a few years ago. At the time I thought Hughes would be a prem player by now with Derby or someone else. I still have till end of next season for him to play for England. There is a good chance by then he will be a prem player with or without Derby. My point which you seem to have missed was, he won't be playing for England never mind who he plays for due to the style big Sam will employ. But thanks for the feed back 

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 hours ago, McLovin said:

Don't think he said he doesn't want his team having possession but he said he reckons it's a load of ********. sometimes. At least his interviews will be a lot more entertaining than those of the yes man Roy Hodgson

I think that's a slight misinterpretation in my opinion. Notice that he praises the exciting way they had played the previous Tuesday and then how they failed to properly execute the same flair and style in the first half of this particular game.

Notice that he doesn't say that they weren't creating enough or weren't playing it forward enough, just that the flair style wasn't working. He says their passing was poor. Not that they were passing it around too much, but that the execution was poor

But I also notice he changed the system to some success in the second half. The real issue that flair-style managers tend to have is they stick to the tippy-tappy stuff even when it's not working. He says it's ******** SOMETIMES. And it is. You know it is, you've followed Derby the last few seasons! :lol: Sometimes the tippy-tappy goes out of the window and you've got to threaten them more directly to eek out a win.

Point taken, he's not a fan of possession based football. He's a man who becomes easily frustrated with it. But he's also not an idiot. He's not going to misuse the talent he has at his disposal. The problem England have goes all the way back to the identity and the style that the FA have failed to implement. One man, no matter who it is, cannot change this from the England manager's office. We all know this is the case. So in the knowledge that there's no set way that the team needs to play, Sam Allardyce is the best choice. He's one of the best man managers, man motivators and ability judges in the country. He can take a player, motivate a player, judge a player, and finally play a player as that player plays best. That's his skill.

22 minutes ago, Tombo said:

I think that's a slight misinterpretation in my opinion. Notice that he praises the exciting way they had played the previous Tuesday and then how they failed to properly execute the same flair and style in the first half of this particular game.

Notice that he doesn't say that they weren't creating enough or weren't playing it forward enough, just that the flair style wasn't working. He says their passing was poor. Not that they were passing it around too much, but that the execution was poor

But I also notice he changed the system to some success in the second half. The real issue that flair-style managers tend to have is they stick to the tippy-tappy stuff even when it's not working. He says it's ******** SOMETIMES. And it is. You know it is, you've followed Derby the last few seasons! :lol: Sometimes the tippy-tappy goes out of the window and you've got to threaten them more directly to eek out a win.

Point taken, he's not a fan of possession based football. He's a man who becomes easily frustrated with it. But he's also not an idiot. He's not going to misuse the talent he has at his disposal. The problem England have goes all the way back to the identity and the style that the FA have failed to implement. One man, no matter who it is, cannot change this from the England manager's office. We all know this is the case. So in the knowledge that there's no set way that the team needs to play, Sam Allardyce is the best choice. He's one of the best man managers, man motivators and ability judges in the country. He can take a player, motivate a player, judge a player, and finally play a player as that player plays best. That's his skill.

Tbh I'm not that bothered that he doesn't like possession football too much because our players aren't good enough technically to use it effectively. If Spain have struggled using possession football in the last few tournaments, what chance do we have? :lol: We should pick a style to suit the players' strengths, not make them adapt to a style. If that means using the long ball at times, so be it.

3 hours ago, Tombo said:

He's one of the best man managers, man motivators and ability judges in the country. He can take a player, motivate a player, judge a player, and finally play a player as that player plays best. That's his skill.

Fwiw my opinion is different. But so what? I'd like to think you're right and if you are then it's win-win as I will get to see a truly competitive England. 

But personally I haven't seen any evidence that supports the superlatives ascribed to Sam above. 

Archived