Pokemon Go

Sexydadbod

Getting people out through gaming is pretty cool.

Extremely sad it is to see grown adults out trying to catch Pokemon, if this can inspire other developers to take gaming outside it will be a great thing for kids.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 13 July 2016 at 11:20, David said:

Getting people out through gaming is pretty cool.

Extremely sad it is to see grown adults out trying to catch Pokemon, if this can inspire other developers to take gaming outside it will be a great thing for kids.

What is the difference to adults playing Pokemon to say sitting on your couch with a ps4 pretending to be the next Rooney or playing army games like capture the flag ?

1 hour ago, Leeds Ram said:

What is the difference to adults playing Pokemon to say sitting on your couch with a ps4 pretending to be the next Rooney or playing army games like capture the flag ?

Very, very good point (although I do both and play Pokémon Go (I am 16 though)).

What a ***** analogy, if you were actually playing football for example then fair enough, but your not what you are doing is prentending to do something that your not good enough at.   The two bikes for example, your not going bike riding, you pretending to do so by pressing a couple of buttons, not much difference between that and Pokemon at all.

3 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

Not sure it does, tbh :lol:

Of course it does. Both are bikes, one is designed for kids, the other adults. Call of Duty is an 18 certificate, Pokemon was designed for children.

Joseph Jay Tobin theorizes that the success of the franchise was mainly due to the long list of names that could be learned by children and repeated in their peer groups. The rich fictional universe provided a lot of opportunities for discussion and demonstration of knowledge in front of their peers. In the French version Nintendo took care to translate the name of the creatures so that they reflected the French culture and language. In all cases the names of the creatures were linked to its characteristics, which converged with the children's belief that names have symbolic power. Children could pick their favourite Pokémon and affirm their individuality while at the same time affirming their conformance to the values of the group, and they could distinguish themselves from other kids by asserting what they liked and what they didn't like from every chapter. Pokémon gained popularity because it provided a sense of identity to a wide variety of children, and lost it quickly when many of those children found that the identity groups were too big and searched for identities that would distinguish them into smaller groups

In addition to the TV series, seventeen Pokémon films have been made, with the pair of films, Pokémon the Movie: Black—Victini and Reshiram and White—Victini and Zekrom considered together as one. Collectible bonuses, such as promotional trading cards, have been available with some of the films. Various children's books, collectively known as Pokémon Junior, are also based on the anime

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pokémon

@SaintRam The reason Pokemon is popular among some adults now is the nostalgia, same as Star Wars. You won't find many adults that can get into Star Wars as an adult having not grown up with it, same with Pokemon. 

Pokemon was towards the end of my time at school, if not slightly after with the little disc things they used to trade in the play ground. 

You cannot deny for a second that Pokemon is designed for kids. 

Pokemon may be designed for kids, however it doesn't mean that the target audience is not wider than that.  You showed two bikes that only appealed to one age sector because of the restrictions that go with the design, Pokemon does not have that within its design concept.

The appeal for a lot of people is that it's simple to use, and unlike a lot of games now days can be easily played by all.  I suppose you think all Disney films are for children and adults are sad for going to watch the latest release because it is aimed at children ??!

Yes COD is an 18+ category, but but I wonder what other games you have played and been addicted to in the past, pretending to be from stars wars with you light sabre ? Driving a rocket car ? Or what about role playing with dungeons and dragons ? How is what people are doing with Pokemon any different just because the initial target audience was kids, or is t because the games you play involve guns, blood, dragons, men in masks etc.....

Pokémon - Designed for kids, played by adults.

COD - Designed for adults, played by kids.

P.S. I can't believe autocorrect puts an acute accent on Pokémon, yet fails miserably to put an umlaut on Motorhead.

@Leeds Ram if you enjoy the Lion King and Pokemon knock yourself out, enjoy yourself! :) 

I could ride the bike with stabilisers, I would look a bit strange and people may look at me a bit funny and that's how I feel when I see grown adults playing this game.

Would I feel different if it was something I felt nostalgic with? probably not as I can't think of one thing I enjoyed as a kid that I get excited about now. My first real games console the original Xbox was what I bought with my wages after leaving school. I didn't get into Call of Duty until just before Modern Warfare 2. I was into the Turtles at school, even had a jumper knitted for me, was a huge fan, not seen any of the recent films tho. 

I just kind of move on and even now Call of Duty I barely play as I feel like it's being designed now for younger people.

Pokemon was originally designed for kids, no argument there, maybe they have designed the latest app with the nostalgic fans in mind, can't help but feel it was again designed with kids in mind to get them outdoors and active and what a truly awesome thing they have created here, I can appreciate it as one of the most greatest games for decades.

Mum, can I have a fiver to buy some Pokeballs, sure thing. If I was a parent I would gladly load up the little ones phone so he can get outside, far far far better than opening a pack of cards on FIFA or box on Call of Duty.

Myself, that fiver would be spent in the pub with a pint and pack of scampi's tho

1 hour ago, David said:

@SaintRam The reason Pokemon is popular among some adults now is the nostalgia, same as Star Wars. You won't find many adults that can get into Star Wars as an adult having not grown up with it, same with Pokemon. 

Pokemon was towards the end of my time at school, if not slightly after with the little disc things they used to trade in the play ground. 

You cannot deny for a second that Pokemon is designed for kids. 

The reason the analogy doesn't work is because adults don't ride a kid's bike around for nostalgia's sake. Usually because someone their size is incapable of using it.

11 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

The reason the analogy doesn't work is because adults don't ride a kid's bike around for nostalgia's sake. Usually because someone their size is incapable of using it.

If you look it as both are bikes, one is designed for one age group, the other another it works perfectly well. As I said earlier as well, I could ride that little one, I'd look a bit daft tho.

Archived