Turning Belgianese....

Gaspode

3 hours ago, Joe. said:

No need to cry because England didn't get there !

I couldn't give two hoots about England. They deservedly lost. I'm going to feel sorry for the loser out of Germany and Italy later, both deserve far better than to meet in the quarter-final.

I have no bones to pick with any of the actual teams. My problem is with the stupid format. It's been a failure IMO.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

I couldn't give two hoots about England. They deservedly lost. I'm going to feel sorry for the loser out of Germany and Italy later, both deserve far better than to meet in the quarter-final.

I have no bones to pick with any of the actual teams. My problem is with the stupid format. It's been a failure IMO.

It's almost like you just want a 4 team tournament. Been far from a failure, great to see the likes of Iceland in the quarter finals, Wales in the semis

1 hour ago, David said:

It's almost like you just want a 4 team tournament. Been far from a failure, great to see the likes of Iceland in the quarter finals, Wales in the semis

Not really. I just feel it's utterly ridiculous how a team can be in the semi-final without winning any game in 90 mins. Portugal finished THIRD in a group of four, failing to win a single game.

It is great to see Iceland and Wales go far. Not denying that. 

But it makes a mockery of the competition when you can potentially win it without actually winning a game in 90 mins, or at least facing an opposition you'd consider a geniune contender.

The format is all wrong and it's made a number of games boring as hell. This is the worst Euros I've seen in terms of quality. Too many teams happy to play timidly - and I don't include Iceland or Wales in that, they've been decent going forward.

2 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Not really. I just feel it's utterly ridiculous how a team can be in the semi-final without winning any game in 90 mins. Portugal finished THIRD in a group of four, failing to win a single game.

It is great to see Iceland and Wales go far. Not denying that. 

But it makes a mockery of the competition when you can potentially win it without actually winning a game in 90 mins, or at least facing an opposition you'd consider a geniune contender.

The format is all wrong and it's made a number of games boring as hell. This is the worst Euros I've seen in terms of quality. Too many teams happy to play timidly - and I don't include Iceland or Wales in that, they've been decent going forward.

In a 16 or 32 team competition you could still win without winning a game in 90 minutes. What if all the group games finish with a draw?

The BBC were interviewing Welsh fans tonight... all of them bar 1 had an English accent, and 1 of them had a Yank hat on and was wearing a Manchester United T-Shirt :lol::pinch:... Prepare for mass stupidity never seen before if they win it trust me, it'll completely dwarf the Leicester title win. 

It's not the 24 team format that guarantees "easy " routes. Mixture of the daft seedings which derive from the equally daft UEFA ratings,  luck and tournament form.

Wales just beat Belgium,  who UEFA consider the SECOND best team in the world!

When did England last achieve such in a tournament? 

Our last run was in 2006 - a 32 team tournament. Having managed to top a group of Paraguay Sweden and Trinidad we overcame the mighty Ecuador  (a surprise package that year) before flopping against Portugal. Who were not that great then either. 

So when we get as easy if not easier routes we still underwhelm.

That is the key whinge. Why are we so goddamn awful at tournaments? Haven't yet heard anyone say Wales players play too many games in a season and look shot. 

Archived