Gayle & Ritche to Newcastle

TETRA

You only have to look at what Newcastle are spending this summer ( £20-£25 Million on just two players to realise that getting promotion next season is going to be tougher than ever before. They have to be bang on certainties for an automatic place. Just two places left then, one being us Rams hopefully.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They will lose players yet though, then you need these players to gel... and then Rafa to actually get to grips with the Championship, and then the players to deal with the expectations...

Slow your role, let them play a few games first.

Bristol City had an offer for Gayle accepted 6 months ago and he snubbed them, that was £6m.

Hasn't played for Crystal Palace, goes to Newcastle for £10m.

That £4m price hike just highlights Newcastle's mentality. Pay their way out. I'd say it's more likely they manage it than not but we've seen time and time again how little players are prepared for this league. 

9 minutes ago, toddy said:

Bookies don't get much wrong -Toon 8/13! for promotion

Didn't they have us down as favourites for promotion last season?

Not that I don't think Newcastle won't walk the league but bookies get plenty wrong.

They also had half of Europe's unknown unemployed managers favourite to take over Forest

Newcastle will go up. Remember, this is a team who were on midtable PL form under Rafa Benitez, a team who smashed Tottenham Hotspur 5-1. 

Sure they've lost Andros Townsend, and it's likely Janmaat, Wijnaldum and Sissoko will follow. But they've already replaced Townsend with Matt Ritchie - a player who destroyed this league two years ago and rejected Bournemouth's best ever contract to join Newcastle. 

And now Dwight Gayle has joined, probably only as backup to Mitrovic.

With Benitez at the helm, I can't see how they will fail to go up. How many teams will go to St. James' Park and get a positive result? On the road Rafa is tactically astute enough to pick up points.

I don't think they'll be spectacular, but they'll get 90+ points which is enough for top two. Probably around 96.

1 hour ago, SaintRam said:

Bristol City had an offer for Gayle accepted 6 months ago and he snubbed them, that was £6m.

Hasn't played for Crystal Palace, goes to Newcastle for £10m.

That £4m price hike just highlights Newcastle's mentality. Pay their way out. I'd say it's more likely they manage it than not but we've seen time and time again how little players are prepared for this league. 

The bid was 9m from Bristol city, and since then he signed a new four year contract for palace.  Is there mentality any different from ours last year? 6m on Johnson, 4 on butterfield etc....signing both gayle and Ritchie gives them a commodity that is needed to get out of this league....pace

3 minutes ago, Leeds Ram said:

The bid was 9m from Bristol city, and since then he signed a new four year contract for palace.  Is there mentality any different from ours last year? 6m on Johnson, 4 on butterfield etc....signing both gayle and Ritchie gives them a commodity that is needed to get out of this league....pace

I'd say there's a difference in mentality, being as we signed Johnson and Butterfield after 2 of our best players got injured on opening day a week before the window shut.

I'm really surprised Howe let Matt Richie go, I always thought he was the key to Bournemouth's success over the last two seasons. He will certainly take some replacing that's for sure.

27 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

I'd say there's a difference in mentality, being as we signed Johnson and Butterfield after 2 of our best players got injured on opening day a week before the window shut.

Sure, and we also bought Blackman and Camara because there we were going for the U21 title, also their net spend on these two players after letting Townsend go is only about 6m....wonder who has got the better value for money ??!

we are starting to sound like Sean Dyche last season.

1 hour ago, Bris Vegas said:

Newcastle will go up. Remember, this is a team who were on midtable PL form under Rafa Benitez, a team who smashed Tottenham Hotspur 5-1. 

Sure they've lost Andros Townsend, and it's likely Janmaat, Wijnaldum and Sissoko will follow. But they've already replaced Townsend with Matt Ritchie - a player who destroyed this league two years ago and rejected Bournemouth's best ever contract to join Newcastle. 

And now Dwight Gayle has joined, probably only as backup to Mitrovic.

With Benitez at the helm, I can't see how they will fail to go up. How many teams will go to St. James' Park and get a positive result? On the road Rafa is tactically astute enough to pick up points.

I don't think they'll be spectacular, but they'll get 90+ points which is enough for top two. Probably around 96.

They will do a Burnley, kill games away from home with boring tactics against us and other promotion chasing teams whilst smashing teams in to the ground at home. 90+ points for them is realistic. 

Unless Rafa gets the Spain job? Or maybe the England job who knows. 

Archived