Jonathan Kodjia - Signed for Villa

DcFc Dyycheee

4 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

I'd rather take a gamble on someone unproven with a bit of potential. 

We've got Darren Bent and Chris Martin, I don't know if we need anymore proven than that. 

Martin is a hold the ball up man whereas Bent is a six yard box poacher.

Neither has any real pace.

The critical point of having a fast striker is that the opposition defence have to sit deep to stifle him.

This forces them to alter their shape and tactics. 

If they try to play a higher line top compress play, they can get punished with an accurate through ball, the likes of which both Hughes and Butterfield can certainly provide. 

This alone could change the whole dynamic of our team.

A million miles away from the turgid approach of possession obsessed Clement and one which I am sure Pearson will employ.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, Robbie Ram said:

The critical point of having a fast striker is that the opposition defence have to sit deep to stifle him.

If they try to play a higher line top compress play, they can get punished with an accurate through ball, the likes of which both Hughes and Butterfield can certainly provide. 

A million miles away from the turgid approach of possession obsessed Clement and one which I am sure Pearson will employ.

Weimann, Russell and Blackman... All pacey strikers...

5 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

Weimann, Russell and Blackman... All pacey strikers...

None of them out and out strikers. Russell has played pretty much all his football from out wide, Weimann similarly and Blackman scored all his goals for Reading from wide right.

19 minutes ago, Gypsy Ram said:

And all pretty average. Russell isn't that quick, Weimann has the skill of a potato and Blackmen, nuff said.

Russell IS that quick... Weimann I admit can be hit and miss, personally I think it's a confidence thing with him, think he overthinks/worries on the ball... Blackman has had next to no time to prove himself... Scored quite a few when played up front for Reading last term...

18 minutes ago, Srg said:

None of them out and out strikers. Russell has played pretty much all his football from out wide, Weimann similarly and Blackman scored all his goals for Reading from wide right.

Russell - Only because WE forced him to play there... In Scotland he played up front...

Weimann - Same but with Villa...

Blackman - The Reading fans I know said he was playing through the middle last season for them... They found it odd we played him on the wing and then expected goals from him...

10 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

Russell IS that quick... Weimann I admit can be hit and miss, personally I think it's a confidence thing with him, think he overthinks/worries on the ball... Blackman has had next to no time to prove himself... Scored quite a few when played up front for Reading last term...

Russell - Only because WE forced him to play there... In Scotland he played up front...

Weimann - Same but with Villa...

Blackman - The Reading fans I know said he was playing through the middle last season for them... They found it odd we played him on the wing and then expected goals from him...

Conor Sammon played up front in Scotland... and he now hasn't played there for about 3 years.

Weimann played anywhere across the front there.

And you only need to look at the stats to show you that all but 1 or 2 of his goals came while playing from the right. So I would take what these fans are saying as a bit of nonsense. And in addition to this, I wouldn't say Blackman is even quick.

14 minutes ago, Srg said:

Conor Sammon played up front in Scotland... and he now hasn't played there for about 3 years.

So your argument is that because a different player played up front and also Russell did that is somehow comparable?

Russell has played on the wing for us because we've played 4-3-3 for almost the whole time he's been here... And he's effective there... That doesn't mean he can't play up front anymore... You're just using assumption... I'm saying we haven't seen him there so how do you know?

16 minutes ago, Srg said:

Weimann played anywhere across the front there.

Yes... So why not try playing him there for us? I seem to remember when we signed him many people quoting his goalscoring record when played as an out and out striker to be very impressive...

17 minutes ago, Srg said:

And you only need to look at the stats to show you that all but 1 or 2 of his goals came while playing from the right. So I would take what these fans are saying as a bit of nonsense. And in addition to this, I wouldn't say Blackman is even quick.

According to Whoscored.com he got 7 of his 11 league goals last season from up top (they class one of a front 2 as LF or RF... Not CF... That's lone strikers only)... That would have been 7 in 14 games from up front... vs 4 in 17 from playing on the wing or attacking mid...

4 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

So your argument is that because a different player played up front and also Russell did that is somehow comparable?

Russell has played on the wing for us because we've played 4-3-3 for almost the whole time he's been here... And he's effective there... That doesn't mean he can't play up front anymore... You're just using assumption... I'm saying we haven't seen him there so how do you know?

Yes... So why not try playing him there for us? I seem to remember when we signed him many people quoting his goalscoring record when played as an out and out striker to be very impressive...

According to Whoscored.com he got 7 of his 11 league goals last season from up top (they class one of a front 2 as LF or RF... Not CF... That's lone strikers only)... That would have been 7 in 14 games from up front... vs 4 in 17 from playing on the wing or attacking mid...

So you're using the reverse logic with Russell to argue he can do it? How's that work for one and not the other.

I didn't say Weimann couldn't, just equally said he hasn't consistently and hasn't particularly shown he can.

And RF is the equivalent to our Tom Ince position, so yeah, proves my point.

12 hours ago, Robbie Ram said:

Good post Rob

1 minute ago, Srg said:

So you're using the reverse logic with Russell to argue he can do it? How's that work for one and not the other.

I didn't say Weimann couldn't, just equally said he hasn't consistently and hasn't particularly shown he can.

And RF is the equivalent to our Tom Ince position, so yeah, proves my point.

No... Not at all... Have I said anywhere he CAN? No... I've said you can't rule it out because we've not seen it... The evidence we have is he played there in Scotland... But hasn't here, because he hasn't had the opportunity... So you can't categorically say he can't play there... only that he hasn't... 

Same with Weimann... Just because formations have dictated that he play on the wing doesn't mean he's not effective up top... You have to actually see them play there before you can work it out...

The Blackman point may be valid... Would still rather try him there than spend millions on someone who may not be any better...

6 hours ago, Rample said:

Villa bid is supposedly £5m. That says to me the final price if he goes is likely £7-9m. They may not want to sell but don't underestimate player power if he becomes unsettled.

They didn't bid, the club confirmed it was nonsense.

I'm pretty sure Russell played as a central striker in a diamond when he first joined us, and had a relatively good scoring rate considering he was adapting to a new club.

Then McClaren came in and moved him wide right, but under Clough him and Martin played up front with award behind.

Hmm. Really not sure we're going to get Kodjia. Bristol City under no pressure to sell. Want a huge amount of money. 

Might be turning to other targets...that's if we buy any striker. Blackman has looked very decent in training apparently. 

1 hour ago, Woodley Ram said:

Simple in my view, we should buy him, he did well last year in a ( no disrespect to his current club) an average team. What could he achieve with the likes of Martin, Hughes, Thorne et al around him.

i think he will only get better 

Sound post Woodley.

Totally agree.

54 minutes ago, Robbie Ram said:

Thanks Woodley.

Forgive my bad sense of geography, but is that near Stockport?

I know the one you mean it's near Hattersley but no, I know live in leafy Berkshire, my Woodley is near Reading and next to Sonning where Theresa May lives.  I always go to the reading away game and sit and cheer in the home end and they don't say a thing. I'm from Derby originally 

Archived