Debate about Derby next season from playoff thread

Bris Vegas

49 minutes ago, rynny said:

Sammon and Warnock are out of contract. Shotton is wanted by Birmingham. Rawson is still classed as a youth player.

Warnock leaving is expected, Sammon being out of contract means we'll get no return on him and I'm not sure Shotton has made that much of an impact at Birmingham for them to want him.

Perhapd they'll sign him, but it'll be for an undisclosed fee. 

Rawson I'd expect us to keep, leaving us with him, Keogh, Shackell, Buxton and Pearce. We need to get rid of one of these.

The problem I see is that our squad needs massively cutting down, and then later improving. We've got too many average senior players on the books who are being paid far more than they should be.

It's like the Paul Jewell era all over again, yet admittedly the squad is stronger this time around. In my opinion, it could take at least three years to clear up the mess we've made over the past 12 months in terms of cutting down the squad, moving on those who offer nothing and being in a position to strengthen again.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The biggest worry for the close season has got to be William.... surely he has had enough now, he is far too good to be messing around with this load of jokers, if he really wants to make the next step up and push for a place in the full England squad then he needs to leave and play in the top league. I hope he doesn't but don't blame him at all if he does.

PistoldPete2
1 hour ago, Bris Vegas said:

Not sure why people are thorwing Leicester into it. They're completely different, and had plenty of leeway to change the squad around.

When you're in the Championship and you spend £25 million in two transfer windows, I don't think that gives you much for the coming windows after that. I was under the impression that we were within FFP regulations because we've spread that £25 million plus the wages over the next five windows, rather than just the two.

That means we'll have very little leeway this summer, and a bloated squad who simply aren't good enough anyway.

Just look out our squad:

GK; Carson, Grant, Roos

DF: Christie, Baird, Pearce, Shackell, Keogh, Buxton, Shotton, Rawson, Warnock, Forsyth, Olsson

MF: Thorne, Hanson, Johnson, Butterfield, Hendrick, Bryson, Hughes, 

Widemen: Weimann, Ince, Camara, Russell, Blackman 

ST: Martin, Bent, Sammon, 

So basically we have a squad of 29 senior players who have played at Championship level or above. Considering we're not good enough and need to improve anyway, we may need another four top signings. We can certainly improve at RB, DM (when Thorne is out), out wide and upfront (when Martin is out of form, struggling).

So how exactly do we go out and buy four new players (maybe even more) when we already have a squad of 29 senior players and little money to spend thanks to blowing it all in the last two windows?

Who can we possibly sell to even free up a little space? Shotton, Warnock, Pearce, Baird, Camara, Weimann, Blackman, Bent and Sammon - we'd be lucky to fetch £5m for the lot. 

And would you trust our recruitment team to pick out some quality signings with say £5m? I certainly wouldn't.

This season we have not made use of the loan market. Even if we had a limited budget we could bring in players who could plug some of the gaps you refer to without any transfer fees. We can also ship out players who we dont want also by loaning them out.

Also theres the Bosman market.

I dont begin to understand how FFP works , but Rush said we werent close to the limit. And if we were, what are the consequences? Have QPR had a transfer ban yet?    

11 minutes ago, PistoldPete2 said:

This season we have not made use of the loan market. Even if we had a limited budget we could bring in players who could plug some of the gaps you refer to without any transfer fees. We can also ship out players who we dont want also by loaning them out.

Also theres the Bosman market.

I dont begin to understand how FFP works , but Rush said we werent close to the limit. And if we were, what are the consequences? Have QPR had a transfer ban yet?    

I could be totally wrong, but from what Rush and others have said, we weren't close to the FFP limit because we used our spending in the two transfer windows over a three-year period.

Meaning that instead of looking at it as £25 million in fees plus another £11 million in wages in one year, this has been spread over three years so our actual loss for one year is around £12 million.

What I guess that means is that we're now limited to what we can spend for the next two years. There is no way we'll spend more than £8 million this summer, unless we want an embargo placed on us.

But just look at our squad. It needs clearing of a whole heap of deadwood plus improving in three or four key areas. Because like it or not, this squad is not top two material.

And with our recruitment team... It's not going to happen.

We were in a decent place 12-24 months ago. We had a top six squad, and plenty of leeway in terms of signings in order to make it a top two squad. Yet we blew £25 million (using up the opportunity to strengthen gradually) and our first-team XI somehow got worse!

We went for promotion or bust and got it all wrong. Just like Forest.

We have no manager, so we must take that into account in terms of extra fees. He might need his own coaching staff, so we have to consider the wages for that.

Loans will only cost more money... And who can we bring in? We've already got 29+ senior players (more if you want to count Albentosa, Bennett and any youngsters coming through). 

It can't be good for morale having a massive squad. Players like Hendrick are now nowhere near the first-team picture. Will that decrease his potential sale value? Probably.

56 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Warnock leaving is expected, Sammon being out of contract means we'll get no return on him and I'm not sure Shotton has made that much of an impact at Birmingham for them to want him.

Perhapd they'll sign him, but it'll be for an undisclosed fee. 

Rawson I'd expect us to keep, leaving us with him, Keogh, Shackell, Buxton and Pearce. We need to get rid of one of these.

The problem I see is that our squad needs massively cutting down, and then later improving. We've got too many average senior players on the books who are being paid far more than they should be.

It's like the Paul Jewell era all over again, yet admittedly the squad is stronger this time around. In my opinion, it could take at least three years to clear up the mess we've made over the past 12 months in terms of cutting down the squad, moving on those who offer nothing and being in a position to strengthen again.

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/birmingham-city-manager-gary-rowett-11287751

That's from just over a week ago.

19 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Derby are all over the shop. We have no permanent manager, a woeful recruitment team, a bloated and completely unbalanced squad and now what appears little leeway in terms of potential signings.

What makes you think we will all of a sudden be 10+ points better next season? Not going to happen.

We threw 10+ points away in 'easy' games this season. We were seven points clear of Burnley at one point.

47 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

The biggest worry for the close season has got to be William.... surely he has had enough now, he is far too good to be messing around with this load of jokers, if he really wants to make the next step up and push for a place in the full England squad then he needs to leave and play in the top league. I hope he doesn't but don't blame him at all if he does.

maybe Will should be thinking he is part of the failure and not too good to be part of it.

Its all far too early for predictions.Benitez would be an idiot to stay with Toxic United,anyway he is pushing for the Everton job.Don't write off Villa they have money men in charge,and may get a good manager. Norwich are not bad,and have a good manager. i'm not sure if we will get a good manager,many suitable ones may not like playing for our owner with his track record of sacking them.It will be 3 in one season.Anyway we have all summer to discuss this,when we get a clearer picture of all the changes. I shall be watching cricket in the meantime.

5 minutes ago, top 6 finish said:

Its all far too early for predictions.Benitez would be an idiot to stay with Toxic United,anyway he is pushing for the Everton job.Don't write off Villa they have money men in charge,and may get a good manager. Norwich are not bad,and have a good manager. i'm not sure if we will get a good manager,many suitable ones may not like playing for our owner with his track record of sacking them.It will be 3 in one season.Anyway we have all summer to discuss this,when we get a clearer picture of all the changes. I shall be watching cricket in the meantime.

so Villa, who have ACTUALLY sacked 2 managers and Eric Black this season will get a good manager, but Derby, who sacked McClaren LAST season, Clement this season, and Wassall wasn't even given the job, won't be able to attract one? Get a grip!

Archived