Champions League ITV Return?

LesterRam

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/football/champions-league-could-return-to-terrestrial-tv-as-uefa-admit-bt-sport-mistake/ar-BBrEAFv?ocid=spartanntp

Champions League football could be set for a return to terrestrial television after the current three-year exclusive contract with BT Sport expires.

Viewing figures for Europe's premier competition have plummeted since the £897million deal with BT came into effect at the start of this season.

And now a high-ranking UEFA official has admitted that the agreement was a 'mistake', according to the Daily Mail.

A peak audience of just over a million viewers saw Manchester City's quarter-final first leg at Paris Saint-Germain last week, five times less than the number ordinarily drawn by ITV.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BT Sport coverage is pretty good (if you ignore some of the awful commentators - not that ITV are any better in that department) but it was never going to achieve large viewership. I would guess it's even less than when it was on Sky.

its because people wont pay fir Sky AND BT just to get the champions league when most peoples clubs aren't in it. They watched it on Sky and ITV because its already free or lumped in with their sky sports.

I BT had kept its sport channel free to ALL broadband customers viewing figures wouldn't be so low either.

2 minutes ago, davenportram said:

its because people wont pay fir Sky AND BT just to get the champions league when most peoples clubs aren't in it. They watched it on Sky and ITV because its already free or lumped in with their sky sports.

I BT had kept its sport channel free to ALL broadband customers viewing figures wouldn't be so low either.

Have to agree with this. I watch it, but only via the online because someone I know has it and lets me use their log in. But as much as I'd like BT Sport for the extra football, the NBA and the UFC, I can't justify it as well as Sky.

43 minutes ago, Animal is a Ram said:

Quelle surprise - people don't want to pay for BT just to watch Chumps League. 

BT Sport is free to Virgin Media customers - it was their big selling-point.

BT Sport is truly awful.

The commentators - Robbie Savage ranting and the sound of Michael Owens and Steve McManamans grating voices in particular.  And the quality of their standard definition broadcast is considerably lower than their competitors.

I had BT Sport free for a year as a BT Broadband customer last year and I'm currently paying for it this season - but won't be again.  In actual fact I've swapped from watching BBC Sport and live Champions League football to watching Sky News on a Tues/Weds, its far better coverage and you typically get all the goals from the evenings football league thrown in too.

Not only have the viewing figures decreased but so has interest in the competition as a whole in my opinion. You don't see constant advertisements on ITV or Sky about games coming up, I sort of forget about the competition to be honest. Didn't even know teams were playing tonight until a few hours ago.

If it's a stand-out game I'll go to the pub to watch it, much cheaper than paying a monthly subscription to BT.

Archived