Throwing away leads is not new to Derby

Mostyn6

A few days have passed since the debacle what was Rotherham away. There were a lot of angry Rams fans around that night.

I didn’t go to the game, and I didn’t actually listen in to the game. I opted to play golf in Lichfield. I checked the scores at roughly half time, and sighed at 0-0. Then checked again and it was 3-1, but during checking, it flashed ‘goal’. Then putting my clubs in the boot of my car, put the key in the ignition literally as they had just equalised.

I was a bit shell-shocked as I’d only just said to my mates “three one… oh hang on… goal…. Er… three two!”.

Now my stance has been clear regarding the criticism Wassall gets, and I allude to this briefly in the podcast.

In my time following Derby, throwing away a lead is standard practise. I remember throwing away a 2 goal lead under McClaren against Birmingham roughly a year ago. I remember twice (in the same season maybe) throwing away a 2 goal lead against Sheffield Wednesday under Nigel Clough. I don’t recall us taking the lead that often under Jewell, but vaguely recall a Fulham game we should have won and threw away a lead. Davies was quite accomplished at holding on to leads. Going back to Jim Smith’s days, he’s regarded as a legend by many, we threw away a three goal lead against Leeds and lost 4-3!!

Now don’t get me wrong, think what you like about the setup and direction of the club, but I would suggest that it’s unfair to suggest that throwing away a good lead happened only cos Wassall is manager or because Mel didn’t appoint an experienced manager. It’s standard Derby and happens at least once a season!

I’m not defending it, not saying it’s brilliant, just that it happens, and invariably to better teams than Derby too.

Also, If you are hardcore and have the stamina, you may want to listen to the podcast.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You don't change a winning formation unless its forced upon you, in the case of Saturday, Thorne needed to come off  - Hanson was the natural replacement. The substitution changed the formation and left us unbalanced this was either stupidity or naivety by Wassall and although he refuted to was his fault in his post match speach - I take it the club realized he's not good enough [although it was Wassall that has asked for the help says Sam] and so have brought in a senior advisor for 8/9 weeks to help him out.

Why not just get someone that can actually do the job, rather looking at the short term?

Agree with Toddy, we've all been over this a thousand times already, but the loss was the managers fault due to taking off a striker which can hold the ball, taking off our defensive midfielder, changing to 4-4-2 which Derby are hopeless at and not making a sub when we were at 3-1 or 3-2 - thus self destruction. Rotherham also isn't the first time we have capitulated against a Warnock side. Think it was 2011 when we were 2-0 up in the 90th minute against QPR, only to end the game 2-2. Think it happens to most teams at least once during a season, part and parcel of football.

47 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

A few days have passed since the debacle what was Rotherham away. There were a lot of angry Rams fans around that night.

I didn’t go to the game, and I didn’t actually listen in to the game. I opted to play golf in Lichfield. I checked the scores at roughly half time, and sighed at 0-0. Then checked again and it was 3-1, but during checking, it flashed ‘goal’. Then putting my clubs in the boot of my car, put the key in the ignition literally as they had just equalised.

I was a bit shell-shocked as I’d only just said to my mates “three one… oh hang on… goal…. Er… three two!”.

Now my stance has been clear regarding the criticism Wassall gets, and I allude to this briefly in the podcast.

In my time following Derby, throwing away a lead is standard practise. I remember throwing away a 2 goal lead under McClaren against Birmingham roughly a year ago. I remember twice (in the same season maybe) throwing away a 2 goal lead against Sheffield Wednesday under Nigel Clough. I don’t recall us taking the lead that often under Jewell, but vaguely recall a Fulham game we should have won and threw away a lead. Davies was quite accomplished at holding on to leads. Going back to Jim Smith’s days, he’s regarded as a legend by many, we threw away a three goal lead against Leeds and lost 4-3!!

Now don’t get me wrong, think what you like about the setup and direction of the club, but I would suggest that it’s unfair to suggest that throwing away a good lead happened only cos Wassall is manager or because Mel didn’t appoint an experienced manager. It’s standard Derby and happens at least once a season!

I’m not defending it, not saying it’s brilliant, just that it happens, and invariably to better teams than Derby too.

Also, If you are hardcore and have the stamina, you may want to listen to the podcast.

Us letting in 3 goals is actually quite rare.

Leeds we were 3-0 up after 30 minutes, and went on to win 4-3, with it being 3-2 at half time, at the time they had players like Jimmy hasslebank, kewell, bowyer etc and whilst we still should have see the game out, it was 19 years ago, and they were extremely poor within them first 30 minutes.  Whilst it may be standard to throw a lead away, although remind me how many times this happened under clement ? It's 19 years ago, since we threw away a 3 goal one, so no I don't think this does happen very often....although he does have another 9 games at the helm, and I wouldn't bet against him doing it again.

12 minutes ago, DRBee said:

Us letting in 3 goals is actually quite rare.

league only, already

3 times this season,

5 times last season,

5 times in 13-14,

4 times in 12-13,

6 times in 11-12,

6 times in 10-11,

10 times in 09-10,

8 times in 08-09,

12 times in the Prem.

Not that rare. Law of averages would suggest another 2 or 3 times we will concede 3 or more this season.

comparing Hasselbaink and co (last time it happened) to a Rotherham side that are in the bottom three and Leon Best who hadn't scored since the earth was believed to be flat is quite hilarious....

Think this thread is barking up the wrong tree.... You can't defend the indefensible on Saturday.... 

However, we move on

Can we please stop taking about 'that' Leeds game.

a) I'm still getting over it even though I've been back to Elland Road to see us win. At 3-0 I thought we were on our way to taking over the world. There was quite a few Derby in their kop that day and it's probably only Bowyers winner that saved is getting a talking to. 

b) 19 years ago - I feel older than normal

c) leeds

20 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

comparing Hasselbaink and co (last time it happened) to a Rotherham side that are in the bottom three and Leon Best who hadn't scored since the earth was believed to be flat is quite hilarious....

Think this thread is barking up the wrong tree.... You can't defend the indefensible on Saturday.... 

However, we move on

Birmingham was last season however, and they were not as competitive as they are now, similarly Sheff Weds were newly promoted relegation battlers when it happened against them twice. 

I am surprised you've developed selective reading! 

I agree, in all my time watching the rams, we have done everything the hard way. Too much over reaction to a loss or a draw, is simply adding negative pressure, in which filters down to the players. On saturday our fans have to be loud and proud.

I remember when were 2-0 down to Coventry at home once and I believe it was Peschisolido who scored twice in stoppage time after most fans had left the ground. Obviously Yeovil two seasons ago was another great comeback by us. (I decided to start talking about our comebacks because Rotherham hurts too much!)

15 minutes ago, Ramos said:

I remember when were 2-0 down to Coventry at home once and I believe it was Peschisolido who scored twice in stoppage time after most fans had left the ground. Obviously Yeovil two seasons ago was another great comeback by us. (I decided to start talking about our comebacks because Rotherham hurts too much!)

The only game I have left early, was proper peed of that day, left early to get to work, only when I got there I realised it finished 2-2, even then I thought everyone was joking. :(

2 hours ago, r_wilcockson said:

Agree with Toddy, we've all been over this a thousand times already, but the loss was the managers fault due to taking off a striker which can hold the ball, taking off our defensive midfielder, changing to 4-4-2 which Derby are hopeless at and not making a sub when we were at 3-1 or 3-2 - thus self destruction. Rotherham also isn't the first time we have capitulated against a Warnock side. Think it was 2011 when we were 2-0 up in the 90th minute against QPR, only to end the game 2-2. Think it happens to most teams at least once during a season, part and parcel of football.

Lots of Derby fans have every RIGHT to be angry that night because we're all over them and Rotherham were nowhere near us all game, DW ****** IT UP BY PUTTING TWO STRIKERS ON AND CHANGED SHAPE. Which is he should of waited 10 minutes later because it would be all but done. Also don't bother to compare Leeds game to this one lmao. By the way why the heck I quoted you? I wasn't quoting you though. This is responding to Mostyn 

1 hour ago, Mostyn6 said:

Birmingham was last season however, and they were not as competitive as they are now, similarly Sheff Weds were newly promoted relegation battlers when it happened against them twice. 

I am surprised you've developed selective reading! 

3 goal lead.... I'm surprised you've missed that point!

26 minutes ago, Derby_EnglandLoyal said:

Lots of Derby fans have every RIGHT to be angry that night because we're all over them and Rotherham were nowhere near us all game, DW ****** IT UP BY PUTTING TWO STRIKERS ON AND CHANGED SHAPE. Which is he should of waited 10 minutes later because it would be all but done. Also don't bother to compare Leeds game to this one lmao. By the way why the heck I quoted you? I wasn't quoting you though. This is responding to Mostyn 

for once I agree with you

2 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

I started the thread duck, and spoke about leads regardless of amount of goals ;)

I was picking up on the last time we threw away a 3 goal lead duck... As threads sometimes can get quite diverse and not necessarily follow the title of the thread... :D

craziest game ever ....4-6 vs Chelsea. 1-3 down. Then 4-3 up near end. Lost 4-6. No scoreboard, people checking with each other what the final score was !

Archived