Ssewankambo gone

DerbyPride

4 hours ago, RamNut said:

Quite a lot of players aren't making it.......

Atkins

etheridge

dryden

ssewankambo

hendrie

sharpe

hoganson

lelan 

obrien

tuite

gjokaj

Naylor

wixted

bunjaku

ball

doyle

others?

You sound shocked? No club in the world could have a list that long of players who have come through to the first team in the past couple of years. You're always going to have to release a load of players before you find the one that is good enough.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If he was good enough he would have played more, credit to him he wants to play and has been sold (we may even have made money on him) I wonder if some of the senior players who don't play will have the same intention and result?

1 hour ago, eddie said:

That's an argument for never ever releasing a player - equally, it's an argument for never ever signing any player in the first place or even not bothering with an academy.

Tricky, yes?

It's more an argument for getting shut of anyone at U21 who does well.

1 hour ago, GboroRam said:

It's more an argument for getting shut of anyone at U21 who does well.

If you are Crewe Alexandra, perhaps.

3 hours ago, sage said:

Doyle, O'brien, Lelan, Sharp and Naylor are all playing professional football

But not for us.

and anyway......you can't call what conor doyle does, playing professional football 

2 hours ago, Srg said:

You sound shocked? No club in the world could have a list that long of players who have come through to the first team in the past couple of years. You're always going to have to release a load of players before you find the one that is good enough.

I'm not really shocked. But it is worth noting how many do fail.

a cat 1 academy has to spend £2.5m per year on the academy.

4 minutes ago, RamNut said:

But not for us.

and anyway......you can't call what conor doyle does, playing professional football 

he plays in front of 15,000 paying fans. Lower-mid Championship level

2 minutes ago, RamNut said:

I'm not really shocked. But it is worth noting how many do fail.

a cat 1 academy has to spend £2.5m per year on the academy.

Only just got that though, so you can't really attribute all those players to that.

On the Ssewankambo topic, he was playing in the first team in the Eredivisie, so unsurprisingly he wants first team football, given he probably expected to be closer to the first team here than he was.

36 minutes ago, Srg said:

Only just got that though, so you can't really attribute all those players to that.

On the Ssewankambo topic, he was playing in the first team in the Eredivisie, so unsurprisingly he wants first team football, given he probably expected to be closer to the first team here than he was.

I'm not saying it is.

i'm indicating that £2.5m per annum is a lot of dosh

if it doesn't produce going forward then its an expensive vanity project.

more modest plans for the academy might have been more suitable

8 minutes ago, RamNut said:

I'm not saying it is.

i'm indicating that £2.5m per annum is a lot of dosh

if it doesn't produce going forward then its an expensive vanity project.

more modest plans for the academy might have been more suitable

Pretty difficult to say how it will produce going forward, but it only takes one good one every few years to recoup all that money.

4 hours ago, eddie said:

He's been sold, not released - players get sold - and the timing is such that the transfer window in Norway is open until the end of March only. Are you arguing that every day-to-day decision within the club should be put on hold until there is a permanent managerial appointment?

Interms of players and movement of, yes that's exactly what I'm saying whether they are sold, released , gifted or whatever else. 

Give the next man in charge the opportunity to make his own mind up. 

We are in an unusual predicament for DCFC at it's managerial position because we have got rid of PC with no immediate replacement 

1 minute ago, Ted McMinn Football Genius said:

Interms of players and movement of, yes that's exactly what I'm saying whether they are sold, released , gifted or whatever else. 

We are in an unusual predicament for DCFC at it's managerial position because we have got rid of PC with no immediate replacement 

That only works if the next man in charge is appointed now in this instance (which I'm assuming is your entire argument and single grievance). I'm presuming that Ssewankambo wanted to go somewhere asap to play first team football, and with the Norwegian transfer window being open only until the end of March, he wanted to grab the opportunity whilst it was there.

7 minutes ago, Ted McMinn Football Genius said:

Ever thought they player himself just wanted to go? Do you not think we have a duty to tell the player if we have a bid?

I've seen him have a decent game against Pompey and that was about it. I saw him in the U21s last year and he looked a bit lost. Don't know what it was. Maybe he didn't have the enthusiasm to play for the u21s, when he felt he was first team quality. That's just speculation though. I won't be missing him. Can't say I've seen him have a stormer on any of the occasions I've seen him...

34 minutes ago, Srg said:

Pretty difficult to say how it will produce going forward, but it only takes one good one every few years to recoup all that money.

Plus how many signings don't work out? One good academy player potentially saves 2 or 3 signings.

I'd be surprised if the academy breaks even over the next 4 years.

i.e. Produces £10m worth of players plus whatever development costs we incur on facilities, buildings, new sites, and doomed design fees ...and thats with rawson and lowe bubbling under. Especially if we do get promoted. 

If an olsson costs £500k ( a half-Barker), then we can have at least 5 of those a year for the same money?

3 hours ago, eddie said:

That only works if the next man in charge is appointed now in this instance (which I'm assuming is your entire argument and single grievance). I'm presuming that Ssewankambo wanted to go somewhere asap to play first team football, and with the Norwegian transfer window being open only until the end of March, he wanted to grab the opportunity whilst it was there.

You assume semi-correctly this is part of my grievance yes.

7 hours ago, sage said:

Doyle, O'brien, Lelan, Sharp and Naylor are all playing professional football

What will be more interesting is how many released, go on to play at an higher level than Derby play at. Of that list I suspect not many.

Only last week there was a chat show type program on the tele here where Iker Casillas was being interviewed. He said that when he went for his trial with Real Madrid (yes I know it's a different level but it still applies) there were 299 other kids went along for trials as well. Of those 299 not a single one went on to play for Madrid (it is possible that some of them went on to have careers in football elsewhere) but that is a 0.3% success rate, and only out of the kids that went along at the same time as him. I would say that we've done pretty well recently with the academy, but if the odd one escapes along the way it shouldn't be looked on as failure.

Archived