Formula One Championship - 2016 Season

RicME85

13 hours ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Very pleased to see rosberg clinch the championship in spite of Hamilton's poor sportsmanshiip(as per normal)....

I expect Hamilton to leave Mercedes by the end of next season,his poor team behaviour won't be doing him any favours with the Mercedes management

What's everyone's problem with what Hamilton did???  Isn't the aim of the sport to win???  They'd won the manufacturers title weeks ago so what difference does it make having them finish 1-2.  If it was Schmacher or Alonso doing it everybody would be spouting off how it was masterful tactics.  There are certain aspects of Lewis' behavior this season that has grated (moaning about reliability when his own poor starts have been his downfall) but don't moan at him for trying to win...

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Very pleased to see rosberg clinch the championship in spite of Hamilton's poor sportsmanshiip(as per normal)....

I expect Hamilton to leave Mercedes by the end of next season,his poor team behaviour won't be doing him any favours with the Mercedes management

If the team were so desperate for the race win, they could have told Rosberg to overtake Hamilton (though he may not have been quick enough) - Hamilton did the only thing he could in order to give himself a chance of winning, so I'm not sure why you would consider that unsporting.

It's hard to see where Hamilton's future will lie now as he's obviously upset a lot of the top people in the team, but that's the problem with team orders getting involved in the racing - the team are never going to want the same thing as both their drivers. I suspect Mercedes need to decide if they would they rather have Hamilton racing for them than against them...

1 hour ago, ramsbottom said:

What's everyone's problem with what Hamilton did???  Isn't the aim of the sport to win???  They'd won the manufacturers title weeks ago so what difference does it make having them finish 1-2.  If it was Schmacher or Alonso doing it everybody would be spouting off how it was masterful tactics.  There are certain aspects of Lewis' behavior this season that has grated (moaning about reliability when his own poor starts have been his downfall) but don't moan at him for trying to win...

i remember schumacher doing the same thing, not to his team mate but to hakkinen in order to drop him down the field and let his team mate (irvine) get the win and gain points in the title race.

I dont blame him, and it nearly worked.

32 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

If the team were so desperate for the race win, they could have told Rosberg to overtake Hamilton (though he may not have been quick enough) - Hamilton did the only thing he could in order to give himself a chance of winning, so I'm not sure why you would consider that unsporting.

It's hard to see where Hamilton's future will lie now as he's obviously upset a lot of the top people in the team, but that's the problem with team orders getting involved in the racing - the team are never going to want the same thing as both their drivers. I suspect Mercedes need to decide if they would they rather have Hamilton racing for them than against them...

hamilton could have his pick of seats....he may well do, to be fair at some point the mercedes dominance will come to an end, so he may already be lining up the next move.

1 hour ago, Paul71 said:

hamilton could have his pick of seats....he may well do, to be fair at some point the mercedes dominance will come to an end, so he may already be lining up the next move.

There's the added complication of the new car regulations next year - hard at this point to know which team's going to have a good car and which won't - and I suspect it will take 3-4 races before it's clear.....

Just now, Gaspode said:

There's the added complication of the new car regulations next year - hard at this point to know which team's going to have a good car and which won't - and I suspect it will take 3-4 races before it's clear.....

Probably longer than that, and i hope it does. Of course i want a british champion, but would prefer a competitive season. To be honest wouldn't be too unhappy if ricciardo won it, he seems a really nice genuine guy, but i do think verstappen has the edge on him already, he is going to be some driver.

Interesting that drivers like Schumacher and Senna are regarded as greats yet they used plenty of these so called underhand tactics to win. The aim is to win, Hamilton wasn't going to try and get run Rosberg off, he did the only realistic tactic he had. As he put it, he was leading the race so he controls the pace. Pretty obvious that had he raced at top pace, then Rosberg would have easily had second. I applaud Hamilton for trying to make a spectacle of the final race.

I understand why Hamilton did what he did, but I also understand why his team are angry with him. I know a lot of people don't really care about the constructors and support individual drivers, but that doesn't change the way the sport is set up, funded, and who ultimately pays Hamilton's massive wages.

If team GB had two athletes in first and second going into the heptathlon would we be happy if our athlete in the silver medal position deliberately tried to slow down our athlete in gold?

5 minutes ago, Anon said:

If team GB had two athletes in first and second going into the heptathlon would we be happy if our athlete in the silver medal position deliberately tried to slow down our athlete in gold?

Depends on which one I wanted to win the most.

2nd is the first loser. Should always try to win. Lewis may have been underhand, but broke no rules.

15 minutes ago, Anon said:

I understand why Hamilton did what he did, but I also understand why his team are angry with him. I know a lot of people don't really care about the constructors and support individual drivers, but that doesn't change the way the sport is set up, funded, and who ultimately pays Hamilton's massive wages.

It's not the fact supports consider it unimportant, it's the fact they had the constructors title wrapped up ages ago.  If they needed the points then fair enough, but they don't receive any more prize money or prestige for a few more points.  He didn't do anything dangerous or underhand.  He simply wanted to win.  If he was just going to roll over and accept it, what was the point him being out there?  How many people moaning when it used to all about team orders, do fans want to go back to those dark days?

Mercedes need to be very careful with how they deal with it because with the new rules coming in, there's no guarantees they'll have a competitive car next year and I'd always rather have Hamilton racing for me, than against me...

21 minutes ago, McRamFan said:

Depends on which one I wanted to win the most.

2nd is the first loser. Should always try to win. Lewis may have been underhand, but broke no rules.

I'm not arguing that Hamilton should be punished by the racing authorities though, just that I agree with the team for reprimanding him.

Take the heptathlon example again and put yourself in the shoes of the head of GB athletics. You use your budget to fund both athletes and one is deliberately impeding the other. Are you going to applaud their will to win or are you going to suggest that they maybe should've done a bit better in the preceding 6 events?

13 minutes ago, Anon said:

I'm not arguing that Hamilton should be punished by the racing authorities though, just that I agree with the team for reprimanding him.

Take the heptathlon example again and put yourself in the shoes of the head of GB athletics. You use your budget to fund both athletes and one is deliberately impeding the other. Are you going to applaud their will to win or are you going to suggest that they maybe should've done a bit better in the preceding 6 events?

Doesn't compare, one is Brit v Brit, one is Brit v German.

Just now, McRamFan said:

Doesn't compare, one is Brit v Brit, one is Brit v German.

Woah, where's this nationalist fervour come from? I thought you were a globalist?:p

Mercedes F1 isn't funded by the UK, so where their drivers come from is entirely irrelevant to them.

41 minutes ago, Anon said:

Woah, where's this nationalist fervour come from? I thought you were a globalist?:p

Mercedes F1 isn't funded by the UK, so where their drivers come from is entirely irrelevant to them.

Totally a globalist, except when its sport, then I'm a Brit or an Irishman (if both playing each other I take the splinters).

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, metalsheep02 said:

And Liberty media have bought in Bernie's nemesis Ross Brawn to guide on the technical aspects of the sports development - that will sting a bit!

I think that may be a master-stroke - Brawn is one of the most experienced F1 folk out there. He's already saying the right things - let's hope they can deliver and make the sport more competitive and less predictable than recent years....

Archived