Aston Villa

StaffsRam

Listen to the Carragher, he talks much sense.....:ph34r:

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/29327/10167522/jamie-carragher-aston-villa-are-the-worst-premier-league-team-ive-seen

Jamie Carragher: Aston Villa are the worst Premier League team I've seen

Aston Villa are an embarrassment and should be classed as one of the worst teams in Premier League history, according to Jamie Carragher.

The Sky Sports expert delivered his damning verdict following Liverpool's 6-0 thrashing of Remi Garde's side at Villa Park on Sunday afternoon.

Goals from Daniel Sturridge, James Milner, Emre Can, Divock Origi, Nathaniel Clyne and Kolo Toure condemned Villa to their heaviest home league defeat since 1935, leaving them eight points adrift of safety with 12 games left to play.

And Carragher insisted the team that played on Sunday simply aren't Premier League class.

"They are an embarrassment and they have been for a few years," he said on Super Sunday.

"It won't be that team in the Championship, they'll change it obviously, but if that team is in the Championship it will be closer to the bottom than the top - there's no doubt about that.

"I was thinking about how difficult it is for young kids. The dream is to play in the Premier League. If you watch Aston Villa it gives you hope with how that group of players are playing in the Premier League, at that level.

"I always think when teams go down there's always two or three players where other managers in the Premier League will try and take them.

"I can't imagine one Premier League manager looking at that team and thinking there's one player there he'd want to take into his squad. That's how poor they are."

Liverpool led 2-0 at half-time and even before the avalanche of second-half goals, Carragher described Villa as the worst Premier League side he could remember.

They will finish with more points than the Derby side of 2007/08 and the Sunderland team of 2005/06, but Carragher says they have been sliding to this level for several years.

"I said at half-time they are one of the worst I've seen and was reliably informed Derby and Sunderland may be the worst," he added.

"Forget about what points they are on, I think they are the worst I've seen. I can't remember those seasons. That's as bad as you're going to see.

"I think we've known for a long time they are going down, not because of where they are in the league but because they are the worst team in the league. That's why they are going down, nevermind being bottom.

"It's been coming for a few years, really. I've been watching the games for Skyand have been surprised they've stayed up. Christian Benteke has kept them up for two or three years, but with him gone, they've had no chance.

"They are one of the worst teams in the Premier League."

Yep, they might have more points than us, but they either cheated, or spawned their way to those points. I agree with Jamie, Villa are the worst team in PL history.....:ph34r:

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know if I agree but I think it's perfectly possible for a worse team to accrue more points. They just have to play in a lower-quality league, and many people have already made the argument that the general quality of the premier league this season is the worst it's been in a long time. 

Good point. 

Official/Historical records should be updated to include a contextual weighting. 

Having played over the necessary criteria in my head, I've concluded that our points total in 2007/2008 should be 1 point more than whatever Villa finish on.....:ph34r::lol:

Just now, Red_Dawn said:

Don't be daft, you will still always be the worst team in history. 

in the Premier League, I don't mind it being statistical fact but lets not word it to make it sound even worse than it is :p 

4 hours ago, SaintRam said:

I don't know if I agree but I think it's perfectly possible for a worse team to accrue more points. They just have to play in a lower-quality league, and many people have already made the argument that the general quality of the premier league this season is the worst it's been in a long time. 

I think the fact they have been there for so many years has to be another factor, at least in our and Sunderland's case it was after promotions.

We do this every single season. A team starts poorly, and we wonder if our record will be broken - it won't, not in our lifetime, maybe even your children's lifetime. 

@Red_Dawn may not be entirely accurate calling us the worst team in history, but he's not far off. Everyone focuses on the points tally, but there are two others that take some beating.

Fewest Wins in a season: 1, joint record - Loughborough, Second Division (1899-1900), Derby County, Premier League (2007-08).

Consecutive Games Without a Win: 38 - Derby County (22 September 2007 - 13 September 2008).

357 days without a win. Think about that.

27 minutes ago, Duracell said:

We do this every single season. A team starts poorly, and we wonder if our record will be broken - it won't, not in our lifetime, maybe even your children's lifetime. 

@Red_Dawn may not be entirely accurate calling us the worst team in history, but he's not far off. Everyone focuses on the points tally, but there are two others that take some beating.

Fewest Wins in a season: 1, joint record - Loughborough, Second Division (1899-1900), Derby County, Premier League (2007-08).

Consecutive Games Without a Win: 38 - Derby County (22 September 2007 - 13 September 2008).

Don't come in here with your facts and your figures.

Jamie Carragher, in his new role as Premier League Oracle/Shaman/Witch Doctor......disagrees with you. 

......:p

Villa are ridiculously bad. They're the closest I think we'll get to seeing our record broken. I really can't see it being broken at least not any time soon.

They could be in for a rough few years though. A lot of work needed there. A squad full of players with no affinity with the club and players looking for a paycheck and nothing else. See Joleon Lescott for details. I wondered why WBA were so keen to get rid of him, it wasn't long ago he was an international and top 4 defender. See his tweet within an hour of losing 6-0 to Liverpool?

To make matters worse he came out with some bullshit about not knowing he sent the tweet and it sent in his pocket. Some weird pockets he has there that can unlock his phone, open Twitter, press the button to write a tweet, select a photo of his supercar, then press send. What an unlucky chap. It reminds me on being 11 years old on MSN or Bebo asking a girl out then if she said no* saying "sorry that was my mate!"

*as if she ever said no though ;)

This was the tweet...

15 hours ago, Duracell said:

Put like that it seems even worse than it felt at the time, if that's possible!

Archived