Friday Quiz Question

MuespachRam

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

You remember this, surely!

Yes but i can't remember where the tournament was, who we played or anything.

i'm just basing my guesses on the italia 90 team and who has managed in the prem.

9 minutes ago, RamNut said:

i'm just basing my guesses on the italia 90 team and who has managed in the prem.

Fair enough, the only thing I remember is this goal!

7 hours ago, RamNut said:

We were terrible and the tournament was in West Germany. The last such because unification then happened.

We lost first to Ireland with the infamous Kenny sansom clearing slice. 0-1.

Then our "must win" game against favourites Holland and despite a captain courageous equaliser from Bryan Robson lost 1-3. So out a la 2014.

Then lost 1-3 in a completely forgettable dead rubber against ussr after going behind in first minute or something. 

It was revealed after tournament that our star striker Lineker had played with hepatitis which explained why he was at approximately quarter pace.

24 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

We were terrible and the tournament was in West Germany. The last such because unification then happened.

Then our "must win" game against favourites Holland and despite a captain courageous equaliser from Bryan Robson lost 1-3. So out a la 2014.

Then lost 1-3 in a completely forgettable dead rubber against ussr after going behind in first minute or something. 

It was revealed after tournament that our star striker Lineker had played with hepatitis which explained why he was at approximately quarter pace.

Soviet had one hell of a team in 1998!

2 hours ago, HantsRam said:

I'm glad i've forgotten it all then.

19 minutes ago, RamNut said:

I'm glad i've forgotten it all then.

Was especially disappointing because the tournament was only 8 teams so qualification was quite tough. We sealed our place with a brilliant 4-1 away victory over yugoslavia who were no slouches. Teams like France didn't qualify. 

We really haven't moved on much in 30 years.....impressive qualification,  unwarranted optimism followed by utter deflation ☺

Archived