Jonjo Shelvey: best value buy in January transfer window

Inglorius

Jonjo Shelvey: Newcastle's £12m buy the best value - study

Newcastle United midfielder Jonjo Shelvey (left) in action against West Ham United
Jonjo Shelvey (left) has been capped four times by England

Newcastle's £12m purchase of Swansea midfielder Jonjo Shelvey was the best-value signing of the January transfer window, according to a study.

Analysis from the CIES Football Observatory says the 23-year-old England international is worth £23.5m.

Its data suggests Chinese club Guangzhou Evergrande paid £18.43m too much when they spent £31m on Atletico Madrid striker Jackson Martinez.

Bournemouth are said to have overspent on £7m Norwich striker Lewis Grabban.

According to the CIES research team, which analyses transfers in Europe's big five leagues, that was more than £6m too much.

Best-value signings of winter transfer window (CIES Football Observatory)
Name From To Fee Underpaid by
Jonjo Shelvey Swansea Newcastle £12m £11.5m
Augusto Fernandez Celta Vigo Atletico Madrid £5m (reported) £2.48m
Mario Suarez Fiorentina Watford £4m (reported) £2.24m

The study also suggested Newcastle overpaid by £5.4m when they spent £12m signing England winger Andros Townsend from Tottenham.

That move went through on 27 January, the same day Chinese club Jiangsu Suning signed Brazil midfielder Ramires.

The 28-year-old moved in a deal believed to be worth about £25m, which the CIES study claims is more than £8.3m more than his value.

Worst-value signings of winter transfer window (CIES Football Observatory)
Name From To Fee Overpaid by
Jackson Martinez Atletico Madrid Guangzhou £31m £18.43m
Ramires Chelsea Jiangsu Suning £25m (reported) £8.36m
Lewis Grabban Norwich City Bournemouth £7m

£6m

£23.5 million for Shelvey lol 

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know how they're getting their figures, but I'd have to assume they're factoring in the usual exaggerated fees for young english players. Shelvey is still only 23 though and he doesn't seem to get injured. I like him a lot, but he needs to decide where he wants to play. If he's going to sit as deep as he normally likes he must improve his defensive play.

Shelvey has the ability/attributes to be the most influential English midfield of the next decade. I thought £12m was an absolute steal. Also, it makes me wonder what might have been had we gone up under McClaren, as I'd always hoped we could start to sign players of that quality.

Really, Shelvey and change or Johnson, Butterfield and Blackman? I know what I'd have preferred in terms of a step change in the quality of the team, rather than just bulking out the squad.

Archived