Blackman

drgoodspeak

Let's hit one positive from last night: Blackman.

Saw very little of the ball, especially second half, but I liked what flashes I did see.

Decent work rate, good control, good use of the ball, flair(!) and unexpectedly, won headers! He should have blasted his one effort into next week, but other than that, in a poor side performance, he looked tasty.

Someone texting into Radio Derby suggested Blackman was brought in to challenge Martin, different type of player, but I can see that.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought he looked very, very good. His dribbling, combination play and ball control were all very promising when he did get it. He just didn't have enough of the ball. Clement got the system wrong last night and I don't hold Blackman or Martin responsible for our midfield being half a pitch away from them. When (if?) we get our fluency back then Blackman will be very good for us, I'm sure of it.

2 hours ago, drgoodspeak said:

Let's hit one positive from last night: Blackman.

Saw very little of the ball, especially second half, but I liked what flashes I did see.

Decent work rate, good control, good use of the ball, flair(!) and unexpectedly, won headers! He should have blasted his one effort into next week, but other than that, in a poor side performance, he looked tasty.

Someone texting into Radio Derby suggested Blackman was brought in to challenge Martin, different type of player, but I can see that.

Is he though? He may be quicker than Martin,  make runs in behind and create his own chances, but he also won headers, held the ball up and was involved in link up play. The three things Martin is good at but hasn't been for a while. Is he really a different type of player. Or does he simply possess more attributes than Martin. Because it appears as though he is exactly the same kind of player but superior. Either way Martin should be very worried about his place in the side. We need three in midfield so Blackman could take Martin's spot and I for one wouldn't be that fussed as Martin has had his chance to regain form. 

Some people are saying there were only flashes. Well flashes is more than we have had off Russell, Martin and Weimann the last 10 games. 

11 minutes ago, drgoodspeak said:

Interesting variance of opinion here. I sit West stand upper and Blackman playing down the right was in front of me first half. I was impressed, in flashes, as I said.

Would agree he didn't seem to do much second half, but he was further away from me then.

Any chance you could swap stands at half time next time....we need to get the most out of him ;)  

If there is any chance Blackman can replace Martin directly then i think it should be tried, as Martin needs to be dropped for a few games .  Any striker who doesn't spend half the match falling on his a*** any time a defender comes near him would be an improvement at the moment.  I hate saying that as Martin has obviously been fantastic for us, both as a goalscorer and as a focal point for our attacks, but right now his form really stinks. 

Archived