RIP David Bowie

admira

10 hours ago, MuespachRam said:

Got to say i am another one of the "I never got him at all" I always use he test could I name 5 songs by the artist...and I don't think I could name 2 by Mr Bowie.

Just the 4 number ones and 23 top 10 singles

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, eddie said:

Some people today feeling how I felt last week over Lemmy. It's almost like losing a loved one - but then you realise that they are not really REALLY dead - put their music on and they live on.

RIP David Bowie.

I do apologize eddie, a wum too far :(

4 hours ago, PistoldPete2 said:

If you can only name two Bowie songs then you are either so young as to be practically a foetus or have lived your life as if you were still in the womb. 

Seriously I can only think of modern love and the one he did with Mick Jagger for live aid(?). 

I am a huge music fan, but I guess being born in 1972 with my parents listening to English and America folk music constantly sort of made me miss the whole Bowie section of my life, leaving me with the Jam, late punk rock and heavy metal as my education. 

I would say that my David Bowie would be Morrissey, I listen to him or the Smiths on a daily basis and can't understand why everyone else in the world doesn't do the same, but I suppose we are all individuals. 

8 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

Seriously I can only think of modern love and the one he did with Mick Jagger for live aid(?). 

I am a huge music fan, but I guess being born in 1972 with my parents listening to English and America folk music constantly sort of made me miss the whole Bowie section of my life, leaving me with the Jam, late punk rock and heavy metal as my education. 

I would say that my David Bowie would be Morrissey, I listen to him or the Smiths on a daily basis and can't understand why everyone else in the world doesn't do the same, but I suppose we are all individuals. 

kirstie-coolin-we-are-all-individuals-kn

Well there's two Tv shows named after his songs, ashes to ashes and Life on Mars For a start. Ziggy Stardust? SPace Oddity? heroes? I mean unless you really have been living on Mars how can you never have heard of these songs? 

3 minutes ago, PistoldPete2 said:

Well there's two Tv shows named after his songs, ashes to ashes and Life on Mars For a start. Ziggy Stardust? SPace Oddity? heroes? I mean unless you really have been living on Mars how can you never have heard of these songs? 

Heroes, yep that's one for me I think I know it  but the others nope not at all. I have never seen life on Mars or ashes to ashes tv shows.  

23 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

I don't believe that can be true if you can't name more than 2 David Bowie songs. 

18 minutes ago, PistoldPete2 said:

Some of us are a bit younger.

Just now, AndyinLiverpool said:

I don't believe that can be true if you can't name more than 2 David Bowie songs. 

What a silly thing to say. 

I love music of many genres, I just never got Bowie, never liked his music, I own thousands and thousands of pieces of vinyl, in fact I have just won an auction on eBay for a "moving jelly brothers" ep..(heard of them?) 

I own every Wedding Preset vinyl ever, 6 full sets of the 12 singles they made with many many more, they are the only band since Elvis Presley to have 12 top 30 singles in a year, so you must know them...?how many of their songs can you name.? 

For into, I don't own a single piece of the Beatles discography, I never "got" them either, thought they were just a rubbish boy band, I don't own any Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd etc etc....but I have all the They Might Be Giants records....  

As I said, awful news for his family, friends and fans. 

3 hours ago, admira said:

Just the 4 number ones and 23 top 10 singles

And I don't know any of One Direction (sorry to the Derby supporting momber I am sure you read this!), none of Westlife, Boyzown etc and I am pretty sure they have had a few top 10 singles..? (Although I did always like Take That)

as I said in another post, how many wedding present songs do you know..? They had 12 top 30 singles in a year, second only to Elvis Presley (who I also don't get by the way) @Inverurie Ram can tell you about Mr Gedge..

21 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

What a silly thing to say. 

I love music of many genres, I just never got Bowie, never liked his music, I own thousands and thousands of pieces of vinyl, in fact I have just won an auction on eBay for a "moving jelly brothers" ep..(heard of them?) 

I own every Wedding Preset vinyl ever, 6 full sets of the 12 singles they made with many many more, they are the only band since Elvis Presley to have 12 top 30 singles in a year, so you must know them...?how many of their songs can you name.? 

For into, I don't own a single piece of the Beatles discography, I never "got" them either, thought they were just a rubbish boy band, I don't own any Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd etc etc....but I have all the They Might Be Giants records....  

As I said, awful news for his family, friends and fans. 

@Inverurie Ram you are not allowed to comment on this.. 

21 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

in fact I have just won an auction on eBay for a "moving jelly brothers" ep..(heard of them?) 

Used to go watch the Jellies a lot in the late 80's. Great band - two tragedies there as well. The drummer died really young and the singer ended up a bloody tory councillor

2 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

Used to go watch the Jellies a lot in the late 80's. Great band - two tragedies there as well. The drummer died really young and the singer ended up a bloody tory councillor

Yep, I remember the drummer incident, but the Tory councillor.. Matt..? Seriously.? I went to Filey on a boys weekend away with the band back in the day, I should get in touch with the paper about what happened then.!!

great band, I still have my tape of the last of the turbonic pineapples, including the absolute classic you can call me Trevor. 

1 hour ago, MuespachRam said:

I didn't say you should like him but not be able to name more than 2 songs...

I didn't get Duran Duran but I could name a load of their songs.

And yes, I have seen the Wedding Present on more than one occasion. You should have heard my and my friend's version of Brassneck after a few shandies.

10 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

I didn't say you should like him but not be able to name more than 2 songs...

I didn't get Duran Duran but I could name a load of their songs.

And yes, I have seen the Wedding Present on more than one occasion. You should have heard my and my friend's version of Brassneck after a few shandies.

I could name you a few Duran Duran songs and I never liked them but that is because they were being played on the radio when I was a youngster, Bowie  was just before my time. 

Brassneck has two of the finest lyrics ever in it...

i kept so may old things, I never quite stopped hoping...

and

its hard to be engaging when the things you love keep changing. 

Now THAT is genius. 

2 minutes ago, Ovis aries said:

Morrissey the BHF who declared "I am the best singer in the world", standing there with a flower in his hand.

The same Morrissey that came out on the side of Argentina over The Falklands.

No thanks .

You can like singers/artists/music without liking their political point of views you know..!! 

Billy Bragg and Paul Heaton are two of the finest songwriters ever (in my opinion) but I don't necessarily agree totally with their political views....

7 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

You can like singers/artists/music without liking their political point of views you know..!! 

Billy Bragg and Paul Heaton are two of the finest songwriters ever (in my opinion) but I don't necessarily agree totally with their political views....

Billy Bragg , great man, stalwart of the miners during "The troubles", different views to Morrissey.

2 minutes ago, Ovis aries said:

Billy Bragg , great man, stalwart of the miners during "The troubles", different views to Morrissey.

Which is exactly my point... Morrissey, Billy Bragg, Beans on Toast, Paul Heaton, cock sparrer etc etc all with political points of view I definitely do not 100% agree with but I love their music and on the other side of the coin, people like John Lennon, I can agree with a lot of his political and social points of views but would rather sick pins in my eyes than listen to his drivel music. 

1 hour ago, MuespachRam said:

And I don't know any of One Direction (sorry to the Derby supporting momber I am sure you read this!), none of Westlife, Boyzown etc and I am pretty sure they have had a few top 10 singles..? (Although I did always like Take That)

as I said in another post, how many wedding present songs do you know..? They had 12 top 30 singles in a year, second only to Elvis Presley (who I also don't get by the way) @Inverurie Ram can tell you about Mr Gedge..

Well I can understand what you say about never getting someone who was before your time, and you mention elvis , who was before my time, past it and fat, and eventually dead before my music tastes developed. But I can still name about 50 Elvis songs despite not really being that into him or fully understanding what the fuss was about. 

I would  think that someone like Bowie would be up there with elvis, and kind of hard to ignore whether you like his music or not. 

sure I can't name a single Justin bieber song etc but that's kind of different isn't it? 

Archived