Baird - 6/10

Pearce - 2/10

Butterfield - 9/10

Johnson - 9/10

Ince - 8/10

Weimann - 6/10

Bent - 5/10

Clement 9/10

Depends what we're rating them against? I've gone for high ratings as for the money we've spent, promotion is obviously the aim and we're on course to achieve that.

I mean with Carson and Shackell - what more could we expect of them? We've conceded 13 in 23, that's on course to break multiple records. Reading's 106 team conceded 32, we could beat that.

Butterfield and Johnson have contributed greatly to a team who has achieved 43 points in 18 games. Yes they cost a lot, but look at the impact they've made on the team.

Forget the individual efforts of each player. I've graded them on their contributions to the collective which is undoubtedly far more important.

Carson, Shackell, Butterfield, Ince and Johnson in particular have made us such a better team.

Carson 8/10 - We now have 2 top Champ keepers ready for any situation.

Shackell 10/10 - With his addition we've gone from having one of the leakiest defences in the league to one of the strongest.

Baird 4/10 - Replaces the experience of Eustace but that article about possibly wanting to leave due to playing time is a bit worrying from our club captain. Fair enough wanting to leave for first team football, good on you in fact, but I didn't think he needed to go public with it.

Pearce NA - Probably a very good third choice centre back, but we're not likely to see him for a while if Keogh and Shackell stay fit.

Johnson 9/10 - Most of us had been crying out for a midfielder who would add a bit of bite and this signing was the envy of the rest of the league.

Butterfield 8/10 - Perfect replacement for the injured Hughes.

Ince 9/10 - Started off slowly but he's still got 7 goals this season and I'm very happy he's turning out in a Derby shirt rather than a Hull one.

Weimann 5/10 - Very good player and works his socks off, but I just think we'd have been better signing an out and out winger rather than someone who himself said is better down the middle. But again, like Ince, I'm very happy he's playing for us rather than another Promotion contender.

Bent 6/10 - Probably the best (or a close 2nd) backup striker you'll find in this league but he's not getting much time to show his talents.

Clement 10/10 - Best start in 70+ years isn't it? And in his first managerial job. And we've still barely hit top gear this season. Couldn't ask for much more from him.

Carson 9/10 - Absolute bargain, I feel so safe with him in goal. I also believe that he's improving Grant's game as a result of direct competition.

Shackell 9.5/10 - Absolute rock at the back, such a steadying influence. The defence has never been better thanks to him, and all of the back four are playing so well compared to last season due to his calmness and class. The only thing holding him back is age.

Baird 6/10 - Bit of a scapegoat but some of the abuse has been unwarranted and I'm happy he's here, as he can provide cover in various positions.

Pearce N/A - Impossible to judge this signing until he gets some playing time, but he's certainly one of the better 3rd choice CBs in the league.

Johnson 7.5/10 - Tailed off a little in recent weeks and needs to start dominating games to prove his £6 million price tag but you can't deny that he's helped us pick up points with his aggression and never-say-die attitude.

Butterfield 7.5/10 - At first I was uneasy because he wasn't showing brilliant form and we have so many midfielders but he has been the pick of the bunch in the last month or so due to his crucial goals. Would like to see him grab the game by the scruff of the neck a little more and his biggest test will be when Hughes returns.

Ince 7.5/10 - Another player that I was worried about after his mediocre start but he's stepped his performances and goal record up in recent weeks and it isn't beyond the realms of possibility that he could get 15+ goals this season.

Weimman 7/10 - Struggled to get a look-in to begin with but showed his ability with the flurry of goals that he scored a couple of weeks ago. Needs to improve his consistency for me and he might face extra competition if a winger is signed in January but I still feel that he offers goals and the ability to stretch defences when he's on form.

Bent 6.5/10 (at the moment) - Hardly had a chance to show his class yet but he won us the game at MK Dons and he created lots of space for Ince against Bristol. My gut instinct tells me that he will prove crucial by the end of the season, be it coming off the bench and winning us a big game or bagging a load of goals if Martin gets injured.

Clement 9/10 - Done brilliantly so far in terms of results and the league table and he's really grown into the job. Targets now are to get us playing a little more fluently and to get the results in the big games.

Carson 10/10 - Can't fault him. 

Shackell 10/10 - Can't fault him either

Baird 6/10 - He's been alright

Pearce N/A - Can't find him

Johnson 9/10 - Doesn't fit into the passing philosophy as well as others have and could. Fits in to the get the ball off the opposition and be bigger, harder and nastier than any opponent that thinks they can bully a tippy tappy midfield. He's no donkey though is he. And people suggested Joseph Barton. Bradley has a life size Barton tattoo on his nuts.

Butterfield 9/10 - Hughes replacement. Doubt there are many that could fill that hole and tick those boxes that would be available to us. 

Ince 7/10 - Capable of moments of magic but a bit fewer and further apart than what we expected. But you know what he can do and we want that in our squad. 

Weimann 7/10 - Looks like he's lost in this system one minute and then upstages Russell and Co the next. Typical winger then. Hot and freezing cold. 

Bent 6/10 - Been hard for him. Thought he's done ok on the whole. Just hard for the poor guy.

Clement 9/10 - Feel a bit sorry for him when everyone sings Mel's name. Money buys good players but not good teams. The bedding in period was patchy rather than poor. And the run since is unbelievable. Everyone knows their job. Everyone is calm. The football can be a bit patchy but I think that's the price of having individuals that are able to battle as well as play. In the past we've had players who thrive in the open games but can be bullied. These lads perhaps don't quite thrill as much, but they're able to grind. 

Also I think as always Hughes will round off the rough edges.  He just makes the game easier for teammates. That's what he does. 

Baird hasn't exactly set much of a bar on the pitch, but I think he's a key player for more off-the-pitch reasons. Can't help but feel the mentality around the place is bolstered by experience and professionalism like his. 6/10

The only way we could rate Pearce would have been without Shackell. It's nigh on impossible to break in to a team where your position is being occupied by someone so consistent and injury free. N/A/10

Bent, still don't think he was a Clement signing. I'm probably wrong, but its in the back of my mind. Doesn't really fit into the system, but I'm glad he's here rather than anywhere else. Wish he'd get more than 10 minutes/match. 6/10

Ince is starting to look more effective again. He's still only young, give him time to work out what he has to do in that position, and being man marked to within an inch of his life. Gives us those moments of magic which you just don't get from Russell/Weimann. 8/10

Carson has been excellent. I have to admit, I was bemused by his signing, and have happily eaten my words. Bargain. Hope this back injury isn't serious though.. 9/10

Weimann, like Alpha said, classic winger performances - hot and cold. Gives us another dimension though - much like Russell he's a converted striker with a lot of pace 7/10

Butterfield is looking like Hughes-lite. It was always going to be tough to find his niche in this team - don't forget at Huddersfield it was a team built to make him as effective as possible - but I rated him at Barnsley, glad he's finding his feet. 8/10

Johnson is exactly what we were missing last season in the absence of Thorne. Exactly what I wanted Hendrick to develop into. Fire, steel, bite, whatever you want to call it, its a lot harder for teams to just run through our midfield. 9/10

Shackell. As I said, just so consistent and is staying injury free. Has established one hell of a partnership with Keogh, who himself looks like a new signing. More leadership in the team than ever. 9/10

Honorable mentions for Warnock, Christie, Thorne, Keogh, who themselves look like new players.

Archived