Fifa: FBI probing Sepp Blatter role in $100m bribery scandal

McRamFan

Fifa: FBI probing Sepp Blatter role in $100m bribery scandal

The FBI is investigating the role played by Fifa president Sepp Blatter in a $100m (£66.2m) bribes scandal, a BBC investigation has discovered.

Sports marketing company ISL paid a total of $100m to officials including former Fifa president Joao Havelange and ex-Fifa executive Ricardo Teixeira.

In return, ISL was granted lucrative television and marketing rights throughout the 1990s.

Blatter denied knowing about the bribes and took no action.

He even allowed Teixeira to take part in the notorious vote for the 2018 and 2022 World Cups.

Panorama: Fifa, Sepp Blatter and Me is on BBC One at 20:30 GMT on Monday, 7 December and available to watch later via BBC iPlayer

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/35007626

Thank you FBI, nice birthday present, hope he gets jailed for the rest of his crooked life.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, Grimbeard said:

It bothers me that it took a U.S. law enforcement agency to take action against this crooked organisation. What held back police from Europe or other 'footballing' countries?

Because the crooks where the ones running it and there was more crooks than 'honest' people.  It was only possible for the FBI to do this as they where using USD for the transactions, and the FBI can hunt you down anywhere if you use USD for illegal uses.

....or wanted a World Cup so badly they turned a blind eye to FIFA's shenanigans for fear of rocking the boat, FIFA didn't want their boat to be rockin'.

I'd be quite surprised if corruption was going on at The FA, hanky panky and jollies for the boys, yes, fiddling, no.

9 hours ago, EastHertsRam said:

....or wanted a World Cup so badly they turned a blind eye to FIFA's shenanigans for fear of rocking the boat, FIFA didn't want their boat to be rockin'.

I'd be quite surprised if corruption was going on at The FA, hanky panky and jollies for the boys, yes, fiddling, no.

Condoning the corruption is as bad as the corruption itself.

14 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

The worrying thing for me is that for the last 10-15 years even Stevie Wonder could see that FIFA was corrupt and our own Football Association have done nothing about it, the reason being that they are probably just as corrupt.

There's really only the Americans who could have done anything. You need a patsy you can get your hands on to kick things off and for all the faults of our FA I guarantee there is no one half as corrupt as Chuck Blazer. Then you need sufficient political power to be able to lean on countries for detention and extradition of suspects. If it was us wanting FIFA officials to be detained rather than the FBI the Swiss authorities wouldn't be quite so helpful.

26 minutes ago, Anon said:

There's really only the Americans who could have done anything. You need a patsy you can get your hands on to kick things off and for all the faults of our FA I guarantee there is no one half as corrupt as Chuck Blazer. Then you need sufficient political power to be able to lean on countries for detention and extradition of suspects. If it was us wanting FIFA officials to be detained rather than the FBI the Swiss authorities wouldn't be quite so helpful.

But over all of the time that it had been obvious that they were corrupt, how many times did anyone from The FA stand up and say something?

3 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Well I'm afraid that is FIFA left with blood on their hands.

How about too much English taxpayers money was spent bidding for the World Cup to let Qatar just buy it?

I sure hope you're not equating human lives with money. 

Archived