Best start in years

Overlooked by us all but DET have highlighted its the best points return after 18 games in over 70 years. For a rookie manager inheriting disarray allied to countless new signings, the job PC has done to date is nothing short of miraculous. Long may it continue.

How long until he gets tapped up by the big boys???????

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agree - to get nominated twice for manager of the month in your first 2 full months in charge too. Some big tests coming up, but very positive so far.

I think it will be a little while yet before anyone comes in for him, i suppose managers can have honeymoon periods, just look at Stuart Pearce...i think they are still dismantling the statue that was being built for having won the league by the end of august last year.

But all the signs are positive. Lets hope the big boys keep away for now.

You'd like to think, at least for now that Clement has enough sense to know he is on to a good thing.

We are a stably run club on the up with serious aspirations of establishing ourselves in the Premier league. Good squad of players, financial backing with more to follow.

If he goes anywhere else he considers to be a bigger club, its probably because they are in trouble on and off the field. All he needs to do is look at McClaren to realise we will be going in opposite directions come May. I really cant imagine Clement going anywhere for a good while yet, and that will only be when one of the really big European giants come in for him. Hopefully as Morris says, he can be our Fergie and both clement and the club can grow together in partnership.

While I agree I don't think he'd be tempted by the likes of Newcastle etc. we should all remember that Derby is just a stepping stone for PC, and unless he gets us in the Champions League in the next few years, if he continues being a success here, he will move on. I reckon to Arsenal after Wenger leaves as that was being talked about before we hired him. 

Only if he's successful with us, mind. 10 years time he could still not have managed in the premier league. 

Agree with all that ramsbottom. One comment By Macca to put it to bed, or even a call to the agent to put a stop to it would have been nice. Everyone knows newspaper journos and agents work together to drum up public interest in such matters and try to engineer moves. So that in addition with derbys desperately poor last 3 months of the season, now shows We made the right decision in giving him the boot. I was a big fan of Mcclaren when he was here. Now he is gone, i am equally glad, and he gets everything he deserves. Relegation at best, probably will be sacked before then at worst.

Clement cannot be short of money, personally. He is a very bright guy. He can have pretty much whatever he wants at Derby. He wants promotion this year, make no mistake about that. He wants to prove to himself that he can succeed in England. He would like promotion this year, survival in year two and to be challenging for the top ten in year three. After that he wants the RIGHT Club, not just the money. He is too smart to take on a struggling Club or a Club that cannot be significantly improved. He will probably stay at Derby while we are still improving.I believe that Clement is a man of integrity and will tell it straight anyway.. Mel's high hopes for derby is to be atop ten Club, something of the order of Stoke City. the money that Clubs get in The Premiership goes a long way if you buy the right players and gets you into debt very quickly if you get the wrong players.I cannot see us  paying more than £10-12 million for a player. A lot of excellent players can be bought for that type of cash.What have Burnley done with their cash windfall?

3 minutes ago, jagerbob said:

Tryed to buy Keogh and Bryson???

Actually signed George Boyd and Matty Taylor

George Boyd? I never saw that coming.

Mind you, neither did he.

27 minutes ago, Rampage said:

Clement cannot be short of money, personally. He is a very bright guy. He can have pretty much whatever he wants at Derby. He wants promotion this year, make no mistake about that. He wants to prove to himself that he can succeed in England. He would like promotion this year, survival in year two and to be challenging for the top ten in year three. After that he wants the RIGHT Club, not just the money. 

I would happily have said that about mac this time last year.  Add to that that he had had some of the top jobs in football.  I hope PC is more grounded but it won't be the money that turns his head it is more likely to be a big job; not Newcastle FFS

5 hours ago, jagerbob said:

Agree with all that ramsbottom. One comment By Macca to put it to bed, or even a call to the agent to put a stop to it would have been nice. Everyone knows newspaper journos and agents work together to drum up public interest in such matters and try to engineer moves. So that in addition with derbys desperately poor last 3 months of the season, now shows We made the right decision in giving him the boot. I was a big fan of Mcclaren when he was here. Now he is gone, i am equally glad, and he gets everything he deserves. Relegation at best, probably will be sacked before then at worst.

Schteve had the chance to be a Derby legend - former player, assistant manager (with a fantastically exciting Bald Eagle team), and then manager of a team that could get promotion. For whatever reason he turned that down....  

I posted about the start in the PC thread giving the positions at this point last year. Although this is the best start ever under three points for a win, it's only one point better and a worse goal difference than last year, when we were three points clear at the top at this stage. So, Macca must have also had a record-breaking start.

However, what's remarkable about this season is that it's been achieved despite no win in the first five games. Since then our record has been astonishing and the general consensus is that we are on an upward trajectory, with Hull away quite possibly the best performance of the season.

When McClaren arrived our football quickly became exhilarating and we were extremely unfortunate not to win promotion that first year. Last season I tried to convince myself we were as good but even when we did create clear water at the top it never felt it. There wasn't the verve of the season before. This season doesn't have that verve either but what we are is incredibly professional and pragmatic. I hope this doesn't prove the commentator's curse, but the most striking thing is the improvement in the defence week after week until you find yourself in a bizarre situation for a Derby fan of not expecting the opposition to score against us.

I love Clement's thoughtfulness, the way he analyses the opposition and the building of the club on the firmest possible foundations. And I like that he seemed to have plenty of Premier League offers but chose us because he could see we were the place where he was most likely to succeed in his first role. And no club could have been more supportive, but he has so far repaid the faith. The sad thing is that we remain only third, but if the players and manager can handle the pressure and keep winning games at the rate of the last 13 matches, we will go up.

The next two games will give a clear indication of whether there is any possibility that we might creak under pressure. Personally I think that there is only an absolute minimal chance of that happening. The Florist game was an inexplicable creak which has quickly been oiled.

14 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

When McClaren arrived our football quickly became exhilarating and we were extremely unfortunate not to win promotion that first year. Last season I tried to convince myself we were as good but even when we did create clear water at the top it never felt it. There wasn't the verve of the season before. This season doesn't have that verve either but what we are is incredibly professional and pragmatic. I hope this doesn't prove the commentator's curse, but the most striking thing is the improvement in the defence week after week until you find yourself in a bizarre situation for a Derby fan of not expecting the opposition to score against us.

That is my thoughts, except I knew there was something missing from August to about October then again just after christmas, and that was a defensive midfielder, I think that is what held us back last season, at the start when he was chopping and changing with Hughes and Mascarell before settling on Eustace, with the odd exception like Leeds. I think the constant unenforced changing of 3 or more players at the end of the season didn't help either, we needed stability but it just didn't happen.

Now we know 7 of the starting line up, and if BJ was not suspended last game it would be 8 (think the only change will be BJ for Hendrick) , back 5 picks itself due to form, Thorne and Martin, and then the combination of either BJ, Butters, Hendrick and Bryson then your wingers, Russell, Weimann and Ince depending on who is performing.

It's clear that we chose Clement over MaClaren. MaClaren didn't walk in the end, he was pushed. Mel Morris decided that Clement was the better option at that time. Looking at the first 4 months of this season, well done Morris and well done Clement!

2 hours ago, rynny said:

That is my thoughts, except I knew there was something missing from August to about October then again just after christmas, and that was a defensive midfielder, I think that is what held us back last season, at the start when he was chopping and changing with Hughes and Mascarell before settling on Eustace, with the odd exception like Leeds. I think the constant unenforced changing of 3 or more players at the end of the season didn't help either, we needed stability but it just didn't happen.

Now we know 7 of the starting line up, and if BJ was not suspended last game it would be 8 (think the only change will be BJ for Hendrick) , back 5 picks itself due to form, Thorne and Martin, and then the combination of either BJ, Butters, Hendrick and Bryson then your wingers, Russell, Weimann and Ince depending on who is performing.

McClaren was unlucky in one sense, in that had George Thorne stayed fit for last season I think we'd have comfortably been promoted. But once we lost him pre-season, as you say Macca struggled and we never convinced.

17 hours ago, Rampage said:

The next two games will give a clear indication of whether there is any possibility that we might creak under pressure. Personally I think that there is only an absolute minimal chance of that happening. The Florist game was an inexplicable creak which has quickly been oiled.

Indeed, but the funny thing is that with five teams doing so well at the top, every game seems vital. This season it looks as if it will be incredibly tough to create any kind of a gap so that, even if we do well in the next two, people will say "but we can't afford to ease off against Brizzle" and then "Ipswich is always a hard place to go". With no more international breaks, the FA Cup 3rd Round is going to provide some welcome light relief!

But you're right regarding pressure. We bottled going top of the league against the gumps but were superb against Hull. The Wendies is interesting because we're the last match of the weekend and will know the full consequences of our result beforehand. Boro have already won convincingly; can we do likewise?

Archived