Derby City Council

Sith Happens

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

anyway back to cuts.

I ask myself would i be prepared to pay more tax in one form or another to fund other people going to a concert in Darley Park or a fireworks display. No I wouldn't. Why don't they charge the people who go to these events the cost of running it.

I want my tax to go on things like roads and rail infrastructure so I can get to football matches and fighting terrorists so I'm safe to go on holiday.

I agree with OP... Very public cuts put out to public consultation ... It's like asking a Christmas turkey whether he wants to be be slowly basted or deep fried. 

Why hey don't we have a public consultation instead on how much the chief exec should be paid? Or other ways of saving much more money than the cost of a water pump for the sculpture in the mArket Place? 

2 hours ago, Gritters said:

anyway back to cuts.

I ask myself would i be prepared to pay more tax in one form or another to fund other people going to a concert in Darley Park or a fireworks display. No I wouldn't. Why don't they charge the people who go to these events the cost of running it.

I want my tax to go on things like roads and rail infrastructure so I can get to football matches and fighting terrorists so I'm safe to go on holiday.

Here here.

5 hours ago, Boycie said:

Sorry, misquote.

Anyway, I was going to say, I'd be happy to pay a fiver for the Darley Park concert, I enjoy that one.

It is a real shame to loose these things, it just makes Derby a really dull place to live. But I suppose every city must be going through it.

On 04/12/2015, 15:33:05, RicME85 said:

If losing these things that care is safe the so be it. More important things to spend money.

Cutting the homeless budget completely is more of a shock than the fireworks etc. 

Have you had a look at the budget simulator? 

https://yourmoneyyourviews.budgetsimulator.com

I put together a perfect Tory budget and made £150m savings for the year whilst not increasing charges or council tax. 

Council is closed BTW. You might want to bury your rubbish as there's no bin men.

On 12/4/2015 at 15:33, RicME85 said:

If losing these things that care is safe the so be it. More important things to spend money.

Cutting the homeless budget completely is more of a shock than the fireworks etc. 

Have you had a look at the budget simulator? 

https://yourmoneyyourviews.budgetsimulator.com

I tried cutting all non-statutory stuff by 20% and increased all prices by 10%. It barely touched the shortfall.

The fact that we are blaming councils and not the government is a victory for Cameron.

3 hours ago, ladyram said:

Another fact is there is a lot of money wasting within the council, that's all I can say.

I'm sure there is and I'm sure there are saving's that could be made, but I doubt they would mount up to anywhere near the number required to bridge the gap. 

Thing is I've worked in several private sector companies and seen shocking levels of mismanagement and financial waste, I don't think councils are unique in that regard. 

3 hours ago, Boycie said:

Are you blowing a whistle?

Councils shouldn't be going to the expense of purchasing whistles, just for people to blow, without conducting a full feasibility study and justifying the requirement for a whistle.

Then they will do likewise for the pea before putting out the construction to tender.

Archived