The advantages and disadvantages of loan signings

Rampage

Derby County have brought no players on loan this season. This is in marked contrast to the policy of Steve Maclaren. Taking in loans from bigger clubs means that you may have to play players even if you do not want to do so. Seeing if players fit in can be an advantage before buying, counts for a lot. .Letting our players go out on loan can also be advantageous but have some drawbacks. What do yo think Derby County should do at Xmas and beyond about loans?

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

McClaren wasn't given quite the pot of gold that Clement has.

If we have injuries to key players, then we should exploit the loan market. Quite simple really.

I do think however that we're short up front. We are over reliant on Martin and that could come to haunt us later in the season. 

I think that we should avoid taking loan signings in at Xmas. The holy grail of U21 football is to have six or seven U18s playing regularly in the side because they have reached that level already. The best U21s should be in our squad or out on loan, by and large.

I personally can't think of too many successful loans (obviously Leon Osman was the perfect loan) and the danger is that if you get a good one the parent club snatch them back leaving you with a big hole to fill  

you wouldn't be able to get anyone decent as cover as they come to get first team football and not sit on the bench, so I'd say stay away from loans 

I personally can't think of too many successful loans (obviously Leon Osman was the perfect loan) and the danger is that if you get a good one the parent club snatch them back leaving you with a big hole to fill  

you wouldn't be able to get anyone decent as cover as they come to get first team football and not sit on the bench, so I'd say stay away from loans 

huh? we have had a few over the last few seasons. As we signed some permanently, you'd have to suggest that these were decent and successful loans:-

Theo

Cywka

Bueno

Martin

Kuqi

Ince

Bent

Ibe

Wisdom

Bamford

Ward,another good loan,The loan market serves a purpose for players and clubs,

We have used it to our advantage in times when we could not break our transfer record.again and again.

for clubs that are struggling it is a lifeline.And for players a time to develop or get valuable playing time

It does annoy me when clubs get promoted with top players,and the parent club are paying a big proportion of their wages.

Last five were Maclaren loan signings so point taken Mostyn6. i would take Wisdom and Bamford again, but I do not think that Bamford would want to come, although he is not getting any games really.

Isn't he already on loan at Crystal Palace? and got abused playing for Boro last season:whistle:

I heard that Chelsea were thinking of taking him back, in which case he could presumably go out on loan again at Xmas

would be a sensible thing to do to recall him and loan him to a championship club. Him being on the bench week in week out will not help him. But i can just imagine boro snapping him up as soon as he's available

would be a sensible thing to do to recall him and loan him to a championship club. Him being on the bench week in week out will not help him. But i can just imagine boro snapping him up as soon as he's available

I agree but we do not want him at Boro.

would be a sensible thing to do to recall him and labout oldo a championship club. Him being on the bench week in week out will not help him. But i can just imagine boro snapping him up as soon as he's available

going to Boro seems viable but the favours may be about to run out if Jose gets the boot. Interesting that Paul's mate Carlo is favourite with the bookies should that happen........funny old game !

If Martin were to get injured for a period of time and if it turned out that between them Bent, Weimann, Ince and Russell weren't banging in the goals, perhaps with a little help from Calero, Bennett or Zanzala, then we could perhaps think of loaning in some cover for Martin. But I fail to understand the people who want to do it now, when apparently some wonder striker who will score 20+ goals a season, hold up the ball and link our play, is going to come and sit on the bench getting splinters for the rest of the season.

OP also talked about loans out. Currently we have:

• Rawson at Rotherham - getting game time and playing well in our division, even making the Championship team of the week (a good loan out).
  • Thomas - substitute appearances in the division below, but no goals as far as I know (this is a good test for a player who hasn't convinced, but must have something to get an England U20 call up - he needs to make an impression)
  • Sammon - loaned out to get some of his wages paid and give him some playing time. Apparently he's found his level. A relief when his contract ends.
  • Albentosa - loaned because of his difficulties settling in, showing the dangers of buying from abroad. Let's hope we can get our money back, but with such a weak Euro I doubt it. However, this loan puts him in the shop window where there are potential buyers, rather than being out of sight out of mind in the English Championship, so it seems the best thing we could have done.

At the forum tonight PC said they thought the current squad was good enough to win promotion. Let's give them the chance to prove it.

Archived