How good are those double mains sockets with 2 USB charger points

Curtains

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Talking of sockets, anyone thought like me they are put on upside down? No end of cables get destroyed near the connection as they bend round, have cables coming out the top of the plug no bend, job done. One for Dragons Den that.

Exactly. I Must be missing something here, because I can't see any advantage of the new one! 

One of the double sockets in our kitchen permanently has an Apple charger in one and a micro USB in the other, for the various phones & tablets we've got. Both are in use most of the time when we're at home. It can be a pain because there are never enough sockets in a kitchen and you end up changing sockets all the time for other stuff. This clever little gizmo will presumably let us charge everything and still leave 2 free sockets.

BTW I don't have one of these & wont do, unless they have stainless finished ones available, to match the other kitchen sockets we've got.

One of the double sockets in our kitchen permanently has an Apple charger in one and a micro USB in the other, for the various phones & tablets we've got. Both are in use most of the time when we're at home. It can be a pain because there are never enough sockets in a kitchen and you end up changing sockets all the time for other stuff. This clever little gizmo will presumably let us charge everything and still leave 2 free sockets.

BTW I don't have one of these & wont do, unless they have stainless finished ones available, to match the other kitchen sockets we've got.

http://www.diy.com/departments/colours-13a-2-gang-brushed-steel-effect-switched-socket-with-2-usb-chargers/566724_BQ.prd

It is the way forward, guessing all new house builds will be installing them, can't see myself rushing out to change the sockets around the house now

I can't really see the point, they'll be obsolete eventually. The problem with "the way forward" is most of the time people only start to get into things as they are being obsoleted. 10-15 years ago "it was going to be standard to have LAN ports throughout your house", and whilst there is still some vague use for such set ups, the ones installed back then aren't up to the newer standards, and the vast majority of people now just use wireless internet. 

It's a decent enough marketing initiative though, a few companies will make a little bit off selling of few of these. 

Archived